Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$133
$127
  • Restaurant
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$145
$116
$285
$216
  • Pool
Oaks On William(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$126
$104
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$168
$97
  • Restaurant
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$101
$95
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
$239
$189
$189
  • Pool
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$129
$108
Agoda.com
  • Fitness center
4,363 results
All reviewsetihad stadiumsouthern cross stationaurora lanegreat locationtravel lodgeroom was cleantrain stationroom serviceshort walkpublic transporteasy accesssky buswould stay againgreat place to staywithin walking distancegood sizeshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you need to be in Docklands, especially near the Etihad/Docklands stadium, stay here. If you want to be near the CBD, keep looking. That said, it was OK. A rather sparse room, with a strange little window, but it really wasn't too bad.

The lobby felt like an international youth hostel, with lots of asian and pacific tour groups, and some asian airline that wears orange jackets used it as their crew hotel. But it was all very clean and well-kept. You do hear a lot of noise from the hallway, but only the odd honk from the giant railway station behind the hotel (Southern Cross, used to be Spencer Street). And racket from the stadium, don't stay there if there's a big rock concert you don't want to hear!

The staff were universally excellent. Mostly young asian folk, they were really impressive. Very eager to help, engaged, helpful, and friendly. They seemed a cut above the actual hotel. 5-star staff, all of them.

The location itself is weird. If you're on foot or in a car, you will find getting to the front door a frustrating experience, it's hidden in a laneway, right next to the Channel Nine office building (which you can see into).

The TV was very good, flat and wall-mounted with a tilt thing that worked well. The beds were the Sleepmaker Hospitality ones, but very stiff and firm indeed. The pillows are terrible! As per the other reviews... if you care about pillows, order your upgraded pillow at check-in. The upgraded pillows aren't great either, but better than the cheap-shop $5 horrors in the rooms.
Heaps of eateries nearby, and groggeries too (definitely no need to use the minibar). If you are on Telstra internet, the 4G is a 1-bar, but very stable.

It was OK, I won't stay there again, mainly due to location and spartan-ness, but it wasn't dreadful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ant100
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Ant100

Thanks for your positive review. I am glad you found the team here pleasant and we hope you do choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a budget hotel located in Docklands. Have stayed on many occasions previously with very mixed experience but this last visit of two nights will be my last.
Room was not clean with dust and hair very much obvious. You could smell smoke within the room and particularly in the blanket. Guests in next room were also observed smoking.
Despite raising with front desk little (sorry nothing) done.
It's a great location but they have lost me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob6282

Dear Bobbali99

Thanks for taking the time to comment again on Travelodge Docklands. I would like to apologise for the issues surrounding your most recent stay. We are a non-smoking hotel and do not permit smoking in any indoor areas. Unfortunately on occassion guests choose to ignore this advise.

Over the past few weeks we have chosen to end our relationship with one particular company due to the groups they booked showing little regard for our other guests. We do take this feedback and can assure you that our reception team did everything in their power to address this issue.

We hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Well positioned to enjoy the city. Breakfast was a little bit of a let down. Great nights sleep, no outside noise. Had to ask where breakfast was as no signage to let you know dining room was on the 4th level!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jan S

Dear Jan S

Thank you for your review of Travelodge Docklands. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Right next to Etihad, Southern Cross. There is an excellent YMCA gym very closeby. Town short walk. Staff efficient, helpful, pleasant. Did not eat there but good room service menu. Quite a few restaurants easy walk away.

No free WiFi. Rooms standard type, very adequate. Fair value.quiet too.

Will use again, ideal for business or conference people - not paying for irrelevant fripperies lots of hotels have. Just wish hotels realised how annoying it is to pay a lot for wifi - yet free or cheap in coffee shops, backpacker establishments. People from outside the country do not want to use roaming as it is really expensive but want wifi

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank chitake

Dear chitake

Thanks for your feedback. I have taken your comments on board and look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Docklands in the near future.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have visited Melbourne three times this year and each time I have stayed at Travelodge Docklands. I enjoy the fact they aren't in the middle of the city, that they are extremely close to the Southern Cross Station, only a couple mins walk from the free circle tram and have really lovely and helpful staff.

On my first two visits I stayed for only a weekend but this time around I stayed for a little over a week. Having experience this hotel for a longer stretch this time I did find a few things I would change if I were able.

First is that there is no draw space. This means that while I could hang shirts etc, there was nowhere to put underwear etc. These items had to remain in my suitcase. Not a big thing but it did really make me feel like I was staying somewhere that encouraged shorter trips.

Secondly, there is also a shortage of hangers. I was able to hang a few of my shirts etc but once again, could only really hang what absolutely needed to be hung up.

Thirdly, I ordered room service a couple times and while the food was delicious, I'm not sure it is worth the price you pay. It is all about convenience though so paying the little extra for food outweighed having to go out and pick from the zillions of places to eat around Melbourne on those days where I'd worn myself out. Breakfast is a little the same. Not sure I ever ate my money worth but there is a fairly decent range, (no multi-grain bread or decaf coffee though) but these a small things.

In terms of the room itself I stayed in an end room this time which I actually quite liked. Yeah I got a lovely view of the train station but I also got a view of the city. I find the beds extremely comfy and for me who has back problems that's a huge relief. The black-out curtains are wonderful for making the room as dark as possible and the convenience of the mini fridge and microwave are awesome.

One actual thing I found a bit 'meh' was the request to leave room service trays/plates etc outside your door. These aren't collected until the next morning so wandering along a hall with trays and food scraps along it looks a bit untidy.

None of the above will stop me staying here however. I don't think I'll stay anywhere else in Melbourne when I visit again. The location is perfect for me, the price is right and once again the staff are lovely. One nice gentleman from reception saw me walking back to the hotel several days after checking me in and greeted me by name. Certainly made me feel as though my custom mattered to them.

All in all a lovely hotel and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in Melbourne.

Room Tip: If you want a slightly better view, ask for a room on the very end. You get two lots of windows and aren't limited to just a view of either the channel 9 building or medibank building.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MissRon

Dear MissRon

Thanks for your in-depth review. Will be sharing your feedback at our upcoming team meeting and greatly appreciate the fact that you've shared your experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.