“A memorable weekend with friends”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #27 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“A memorable weekend with friends”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Have just spent the weekend at the Olsen with three friends. Management arranged two interconnecting rooms. One room was big enough for a 'girls night in' with expansive, comfortable couches and ottoman for lounging around on to the wee hours, large tv, dining table, bathroom with large bath and inbuilt shower, kitchenette and separate bedroom with an amazingly comfortable queen bed. The other, a suite with the same stylish kitchenette and separate bathroom but a king bed and a couple of arm chairs and tv within the same space. The overall service was fantastic. The location, being its proximity to South Yarra's Chapel St was gold - a stone's throw from cinemas, shopping and eateries of various kinds galore, supermarket and very good coffee. Some celebrity spotting in the hotel's lift, restaurant and lobby was the icing on the cake for an exciting getaway for four mums on the loose!  Am looking forward to my next visit with hubby, family or heck, a different group of friends and experiencing the Olsen's day spa and Spoonbill restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Sangiecl,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

It sounds like you had a fantastic girls weekend away. It is lovely that you were able to enjoy all that surrounds us.

We look forward to welcoming you back with your family next time you stay with us.

Rowena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The perfect location for business or pleasure (I have stayed at the Olsen for both on multiple occasions in the past year). The hotel is modern, rooms are comfortable with all the luxury amenities you could ask for, the staff is attentive and friendly and the lobby has a great restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Best of all is the location, it’s in the best neighborhood of Melbourne in my opinion with easy access to the CBD and a lively nightlife. I travel over 50% of the time and rarely show loyalty to a hotel…the Olsen is my only choice in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite or mini suite, it's worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Andres m
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Andrews m,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your time here at [The Olsen].

We love receiving feedback and I am thrilled to hear that you choose to stay with us each time you are visiting Melbourne!

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time as my first experience was good 3 years ago. Since then the management or something must of changed ... for the money you pay I'd say what you get in return is not worth it. Not only was I charged twice for my room but upon check out somebody else in another room had checked out of my room no signature or any form of checks were done to check the right people are checking out of the right rooms so beware ! I was told I would receive either an email or call the following day as to the refund of charges. Heard nothing back from them for two days. Spent my whole holiday and post holiday trying to sort this out. Oh and don't bother eating at Spoonbill the restaurant hotel. Over priced and no service there too. I had to keep reminding staff of my order it took them 30minutes to make one fresh juice. Best place to eat is across the road on the left within the supermarket area there is a beautiful cafe and also dumpling bar with quick service so you don't waste time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank trueoath
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Olsen is always my hotel of choice when I stay in Melbourne for either business or pleasure. I am always pleased with the professional manner by the staff, the quality of the hotel and love to have people visit me for drinks as the bar has a wonderful atmosphere. I would recommend it to all of my friends and colleagues if they were to visit. See you again soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear THamel_78,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay here at [The Olsen].

We love receiving guest feedback and I am very happy to hear that you would recommend staying with us to your friends and colleagues.

Melbourne
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed here during Easter weekend with my partner - weren't too happy with out first room, it was small and pokey with the worst view on the window. Asked if we could get a different room and the front desk staff was very helpful and understanding. We were staying 3 nights, so they moved us on the 2nd night to another room that was MUCH better than our first (even though they were the same type of room) - we had bigger fridge, more cupboard space as well. But seemed like the cleaner didn't clean very well on the second room, somehow we smelled smoke (so left the window open for the whole day to get rid of it) and they also didn't replenish some bathroom amenities from last guest stay? Asked for extra shower gels and front desk tended to us straight away. Seriously, very helpful and friendly staff!

Also had to comment separately on the beds. Honestly the BEST beds I have ever slept on in a hotel! Softest pillows and the most comfy mattress! I ended up buying one of their pillows, hah!

This wasn't the first time I stayed in an Art Series Hotel. We stayed few years ago at The Blackman and we really enjoyed our time there too! The Olsen was wonderful and on the best location, but we still preferred the Blackman because in our opinion, the room (studio) was much better there. Nevertheless, we will be back! :)

Room Tip: Our first room was small and pokey, it was on level 6 room 603 (I think) the first room on the right...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear xandiee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that we were able to assist in finding you a room you were more comfortable in.

I am very happy to hear that the front office team were very helpful throughout your stay. We are now selling the Art Series Signature bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

Again thank you for writing a detailed review and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us at [The Olsen].

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Had a brilliant stay over the Anzac long weekend. Would like to say a huge thank you to Craig, who works at the concierge- for his amazing work helping organise my surprise proposal to my now fiancé! Craig's help was something I will not forget. All the staff helped make what was a perfect weekend!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LudvikBudin,

I would like to start by saying Congratulations on your recent engagement! I recall Craig mentioning to the team at our handover meeting about your suprise proposal and wanting to ensure it was perfect.

I have passed on your comments to Craig and he is very happy to hear he was able to assist with making your weekend a wonderful suprise!

We hope you return to stay with us on your one year anniversary!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We are locals from Melbourne and have never stayed in a Melbourne hotel. The experience we had at The Olsen will definitely have us coming back! Nestled in the heart of Chapel St the amazing location is just the beginning. Complimentary drinks, a bottle of champagne and an upgrade to the Lake Eyre Penthouse left myself and my boyfriend lost for words. The views were spectacular and my favourite feature (even on a cold Melbourne day) was the heated spa. My partners was the comfy bed and steak sandwich from Spoonbill. We leave very relaxed and thankful for to the beautiful staff and experience. See you soon!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Paulette 1111,

It is quite suprising the number of local Melbournians such as yourselves we have coming to stay with us for a weekend away or a night from parenting duties.

The Lake Eyre Penthouse is a new addition to the Olsen Family and since the doors open we have received incredible feedback. It is a suite that defintely has the "wow" factor and I am very happy that you were able to enjoy it!

Rowena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#11 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!