“Recent visit”

Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
“Recent visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We went to The Olsen on the recommendation of our daughter, who had stayed there previously for some weeks. It is an Art Hotel with copies of John Olsen's work everywhere. It is in a good location in the Yarra district outside the centre of Melbourne but with easy train and tram services to the centre. The hotel is quiet. It provides simple catering facilities but there is a lack of some basic kitchen equipment. The room was comfortable and there is an excellent bed. We had some concern over the quality of the room cleaning (trash bin not always emptied and surfaces not cleaned). The concierge was fantastic and really went out of his way to be helpful. Helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin G
Rowena C, Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Robin G,

I am happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed her residency here at [The Olsen]. We are very lucky to be located in such a great location.

I am dissapointed to hear that the standard in the room defintely was not up to what we would like to provide our guests. I have passed on your feedback to the Housekeeping Manager to ensure that these issues are now addressed.

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding our concierge team, I am happy to hear that they went out of their way to ensure you enjoyed your stay.

Rowena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

So, firstly the pro's:
The styling was great, the room was well laid out.
The bathroom was nice, the LEDs were a nice touch.
Location was pretty good, right on Chapel street.
Staff were pretty good, fairly accommodating.
Celebs in the hotel.

The con's:
The room was fairly small for the price.
No opening windows.
Keycards for the elevator/room had to be reset EVERY time we came back in. Presumeably because we were near interconnecting rooms and the guests opposite were different every day. VERY frustrating with bags of shopping or needing to get to bathroom ASAP.
Cleaners vacuuming and something that sounded like an pneumatic drill at 9:30am Sunday morning. Not pleasant after coming back late after a night out.
Champagne ordered when booking, only arrived after I asked where it was.
Parking was the biggest concern, I emailed and called the hotel 4 times to confirm what the car parking was like as our car cannot get into most carparks. We ended up having to park out the front of the hotel where cabs and hire cars were constantly opening their doors right near it, didnt sleep too soundly worrying about inconsiderate people putting dents in the car. Also seems to be a shortcut thoroughfare with lots of people walking around from some alleyway.
Music playing very loudly from 1-3:30am, sounded like it was coming from the foyer.

Overall I was impressed at first but didn't take long to disappear which was a shame for the price.

Room Tip: Don't get one overlooking the entrance.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank herefishyfishy123
Amy_Moylan, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear ilikeholidays09,

I am happy to hear that [The Olsen] was able to exceed your expectations within certain area's. However, I am dissapointed that we failed to deliver in other area's.

I have read through your list of con's and have taken onboard all the issues you touched upon. I can defintely understand the frustration with not having your room key work for the duration of your stay.

To be honest I am not sure what the drilling sound may of been but I am sure that it was not pleasant at all. I can touch on where our team have let you down and not having the champagne ready to go for your arrival is dissapointing. I can also understand feeling anxious if your vehicle was parked on our hotel drive. I wish we were able to confirm and were able to accomodate what you had requested several times.

I apologise on behalf of [The Olsen] for not maintaing your initial impression when you arrived. I would like to ensure that if you wish to stay with us again to contact me direct as I wish for you to experience [The Olsen] to be what we wish for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for business recently and would have to say this place is the best!! The bedding is sensational and the rooms quiet leading to a brilliant nights sleep. Staff are very courteous and the on site restaurant is particularly good and priced well. Thoroughly recommend a stay at the Olsen

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Trafficled01,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review from your recent stay here at [The Olsen].

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us!

Assistant Experience Agent
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Couldn't recommend this establishment more. Clean, fresh and welcoming. Keep up the great work!
Will definitely be returning. Have stayed here a few times and it never disappoints. I always feel comfortable and secure there. Great hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Amy_Moylan, Assistant Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Trafficled01,

I wish to thank you for your kind words on your comments card from your stay. Your lovely words and comments about your stay really made the teams day and we thank you for your feedback.

I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us here at the Olsen, should you need anything in the future do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will certainly take care of your needs.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I laughed when I read the previous reviews about the lifts but it is true. Each trip took an inordinate amount of time, but since most of us are on holidays, hey, why not spend some quality time riding lifts. In fact you wait for everything at the Olsen. Each promise of 'we'll be right with you' is followed by a long wait or no follow though, be it housekeeping, front desk or trolley services. Consider other options especially if travelling with family.

While the deluxe studio suite is well appointed, with a baby cot and babysitter wedged in, it was tiny. The bathroom is small too. So after one night we sought to move to a larger configuration. In so doing, we had confirmed that the cot would either be set up or moved at the same time. It took a few phone calls and two hours for the cot to finally arrive (noting that housekeeping would have been aware of the request from 9am onwards as we were allowed into the new room at 2pm).

Steph at reception was the silver lining by efficiently arranging for a late checkout (at additional cost) and organising transport for the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear want2bafitty,

I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful, and the details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred but I have made steps to rectify them.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs, with regard to the clear problems in your suite not receiving the cot when it should of been placed into the room prior to your return, clearly the resolutions provided were below par.

Again your feedback was most helpful, Please feel free to contact me at any stage if you have any questions or concerns or are to book in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Loved the idea of designing a hotel around Australian artist, John Olsen especially the use of his animal designs everywhere including in the glass panels of the bathroom door. The rooms are not generous in size - but the bed is very comfortable!
The location is fabulous on Chapel St, home to a multitude of great cafés and shops.
The pool area is great, however the gym area is tiny.
We had a few issues with the hotel - the lifts were incredibly, frustratingly slow and whenever they did arrive they would stop at every floor and would be packed by the time (10 minutes later!) we arrived at the lobby level.
We also had issues catching cabs on the long holiday Sunday. It seemed everyone in Sth Yarra (us included) had to be at a wedding in the city at 4pm! Even though the hotel tried to order us one, we had to hustle hard to finally clinch one - arriving at the wedding 15 minutes late.
The hotel does not offer any 'freebies' - neither the bottles of water on the bedside tables nor wifi is complimentary. This hotel is not cheap, so it would have been a pleasant, friendly touch to have thrown in something for free. The value is not there.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room on the 10th floor which had lovely views but was tiny.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ozybod
Dear Ozybod,

It is lovely to hear you are an art lover and a fan of John Olsen's artwork!

[The Olsen] is lucky to be situated in such a great location, lots of things to see and do in South Yarra!

I am sorry to hear that there were significant delays in waiting for the lifts. Sunday is unfortunantely our busiest day of the week. Which is why taxi's may of also been a problem on the day.

I can only apologise for the issues that you encountered during your stay and hope that in future if you do wish to stay with us we can rectify and ensure you have a fabulous stay with us!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Olsen in late February. The check in was flawless and nothing was too much bother for the staff. The room was stylish and well appointed and, to my delight, it was stocked with a great magazine collection and treats for sweet tooths like me.

While only in Melbourne for a short stay, we wanted to make the most of it by enjoying some of the best dining and shopping experiences that the city has to offer. The lady at reception, Amy, provided us with excellent recommendations which made our visit all the more enjoyable.

We are looking forward to returning next time we are in Melbourne!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WesternHelm
Dear WesternHelm,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay to write such a lovely Tripadvisor review. I am happy that our staff here at [The Olsen] delivered excellent service.

At [The Olsen] as staff we pride ourselves on knowning "what's on" in Melbourne. Amy Moylan is our Front Office Manager and it is great to hear she is leading by example.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us!