“Nice stay”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #30 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Spent few days with my relatives in Melbourne. This time I chose a small boutique style hotel
instead of main brands in the city.
Location is very good at chapel street in South Yarra , there are lots restaurants, cafes and
boutiques for dining or shopping. More, it just one block away from train station or take a taxi
to downtown for under $20.-
If you don't want a big breakfast , their restaurant offer a simple breakfast. For just $10.-
you can have juice,fruit,cereal and toasts .
Now, there are two areas I need to point them out which is no good !
First, their lights in the room are not bright enough , the ceiling down lights are in a bad position
and their table lamps or desk lamps are not bright enough for reading at all !
Bathroom- usually should have 2 sets of towels ( body,hair and facial) but this hotel only got
2 body towels.
Finally , their staffs are very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: The beds are little bit soft . So if you have a bad beck don't chose this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter S
Amy_Moylan, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi Peter S,

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us, our team is happy to hear you found our staff helpful and friendly, this kind of feedback makes our day.
Thankyou for your information regarding the towels and lack thereof, certainly this was an oversight and we ensure each room has 2 sets of towelling, my apologies this was not the standard of the bathroom upon arrival.

Thankyou again for your review.
The Olsen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have an awesome stay at the Olsen. The staff were fantastic. Especially the concierge Harry who was more then helpful and really made our stay one to remember! He helped us out with all our queries and made us feel welcome. The room service was quick and great food, we look forward to staying again.

2  Thank amber a

Hi Amber,

Thanks for your outstanding 5 star review, our team and certainly Harry was so thrilled to read he was helpful and a memorable member of our team.
Glad to see you took advantage of our 24 hour room service menu and enjoyed it so.

Cheers,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

During my time at the Olsen I stayed in room 102 which was one of their spa suites, at a cost of over $400 + a night. Overall I had a rather uncomfortable stay and would not return for the following reasons:

Firstly the Spa did not work, for a Spa suite I would expect this would be something any hotel checks before allowing guests to check in. It also took two phone calls and 40 minutes before the spa was temporarily fixed. The next morning I also found the Spa to be not working and this was reported on checkout.

At around 11pm at night the room smelt of smoke which was coming in through the air-conditioning. This was only temporary and I turned off the air-conditioning which resolved the issue but for a $400+ a night room I would have expected better.

Housekeeping entered the room only after one knock, I did not even get a chance to open the door before housekeeping walked in. This is common sense housekeeping should give guests time to open the door and respect their privacy.

A week after my stay I reviewed my credit card statement and noticed a charge for $7, I called the Olsen and this was apparently for the minbar. However during my stay the minibar was not used, I am now waiting for this to be refunded.

On check out the receptionist was friendly and provided a complimentary parking and room service (two slices of cake) when I reported the issues above. It was also mentioned a manager would call me to discuss the above issues. I stayed at the Olsen on the 22nd of December and I have not received a call which is very disappointing as I provided all of my contact details on checkout.

Room Tip: The Spa Suite is not recommended
1  Thank J799

Dear J799,

Thankyou for providing your feedback for your stay this past week.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to the issues you encountered with the Jacuzzi Spa Suite. In particular I am disappointed we let ourselves down with regard to a manager yet to make contact with you. I have been on annual leave and I believe this may have affected the timeliness of follow up communication in my absence. please accept my sincerest apologies.

I would love that chance to discuss the stay in persona and in more detail with you and find a happy outcome with regard to compensation.

Please feel free to contact me directly on 9040 1221 or amy_moylan@artserieshotels.com.au

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip & thought this hotel was fabulous! Lovely clean room with great views and so central. If you are looking to experience something a little different from the norm, this is it. Will certainly be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear JanisMcN,

Thank you for your great review, thrilled to see you had a great business trip.

Really looking forward to seeing you back in 2014!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for business, rooms are small, and too much arty furniture squashed in, making the room rather unfunctional. They have too much focus on displaying Art, but not enough on operating a hotel. Great location, friendly staff and clean

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank t2cs

Dear T2cs,

Thankyou for your review, great to hear you thought our staff were friendly and you liked our location on Chapel St in the heart of South Yarra.
I am disappointed to read you felt we focus too much on the Art; certainly the Art and John Olsen’s Artwork is at the centre of our culture and the experience we are offering our guests, of course along with the balance of being a 5 star boutique hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here for just the one night as I had an event in Melbourne, Location was fairly good as we used the Public Transport system which was easy enough to navigate to the hotel.
Room was clean and quite spacious, very modern and quite a nice view. They don't however use quilt covers and the bed was quite a mess by the next day.

Had a few issues, housekeeping barged straight in on the afternoon without knocking (2 of them) trying to restock the mini bar. Luckily we where just watching TV however they kept trying to restock the fridge, it was like halfway through they realised they shouldn't of been there and then just left all the stock for the fridge on the bench and walked out. I was expecting a bill for some of the mini bar however that didn't come.
Other problem I had was I couldn't find a pair of shoes anywhere when packing, rushing to make it to the airport to catch a flight I called the hotel to let them know, I was told housekeeping would check and call me back, about 6hrs later I called them back after not hearing from them and flown back to my state. I was told that my shoes where in the room next door.
Not sure how that happened and whilst i'd drank a little the night before it wasn't that much!
Anyway the hotel put my shoes in a post bag and charged my credit card for the postage!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear TravelledwellOz,

Thanks for your recent review, so terrific to hear that you liked our location and found it easy to get around. It’s true we are lucky in that we have both the tram line and train station only a short few minutes’ walk away from the front door of our hotel.

I am interested to hear your feedback regarding the minbar attendant and lost property claim, this feedback is most helpful and has been addressed with our Executive Housekeeping Manager for follow up.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We booked one of the larger rooms and I asked for a high room due to the other comments on Trip and was not disappointed. The room was well-appointed with all you need, clean and modern - good choice of books, magazines, nice touch. The bed was extremely comfortable but I agree with someone else on trip, not sure why they have such heavy duvets on the beds but there is aircon. The area has lots of shops and places to eat and its quick to get into Melbourne centre (tip: use the South Yarra train station or tram bus 8 stop 31). The reception staff very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Sn0wbunni

Hi Snowbunni,

Thanks for your recent review from your stay with us here at the Olsen.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and felt our front desk staff friendly and helpful; we do truly love this time of year to look after our guests on a festive season holiday!

All the very best,
The Olsen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#10 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!