“Loved the Art Series Hotel”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #27 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Loved the Art Series Hotel”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for work recently, and loved it! I was right in behind the elevators, but even as a light sleeper it didn't bother me that much. Great service from all staff, and loved the little touches of luxury - right down to packets of T2 tea (my fav!) in the kitchen area. Very comfortable bed, big spacious bathroom. Short walk down to the shops on Chapel St, and I enjoyed walking through the suburbs of South Yarra when I had some down time. Staff gave excellent restaurant recommendations, although the restaurant they have in the hotel is also incredible!

All in all I had a great stay - although if not staying for work, would probably be slightly out of my budget.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Paul R, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience whilst staying with us at the Olsen.
We are very pleased to read, that you had a wonderful time.
We do look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,

Julie Dale
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Great location. We arrived at 10am and were checked in early for no extra charge and also received a free upgrade. Very nice rooms and comfy beds. Definitely recommend. Great service and vibe. Will definitely be back if I return to Melbourne. It's a shame it was so cold but that's Melbourne!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely thrilled to read your wonderful review from your recent stay with us at the Olsen.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Julie Dale
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel is fine, however there are plenty better choices in Melbourne for the rates they offer.
Rooms are only average size with glass separator between sleeping area and bathroom... wierd
Location is great, no argument here, however charging us 2% on the visa card is a BAD TASTE these days!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

At first I didn't get the whole 'art' thing, but it grew on me pretty quickly. The hotel is in a fantastic location and the rooms are pretty nice. Be warned, they put out water like it's free but you'll get a surprise when you check out.
The reception staff could be more professional, and when I checked in late at night the ambient music was turned up so loud I could barely hear the receptionist. That was the only time it seemed too loud. There are many restaurants in the area, and I'd suggest walking the few extra meters to find alternates to the ones attached to the hotel. I asked around and heard predominately negative reviews for all meals they had on site.
I tried room service and was told the hours on the book in the room weren't the right hours, and it depended on the restaurant as to when they wanted to serve out of which section. The front desk really didn't seem to care when my call was re-routed to them.
This could be an amazing hotel. Minus the eating stuff, I loved staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Paul R, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Kareno13,

We’re thrilled to hear you loved staying at [The Olsen]

We look forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen] next time you are in Melbourne and ensuring you enjoy the ‘art’ of South Yarra.

Regards,
The Olsen Team.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Olsen hotel reminded me of the Museum hotel in Wellington, NZ. However, it wouldn’t it beat neither by quality nor by the history. Having said that, the Olsen hotel is great! It just does not have as many artworks and stuff. It seemed to be very fresh and very well appointed on the inside. Rooms are very small (at least the one I’ve got) with spacious bathroom, nice interiors and are very clean. On the positive side the room has had a small kitchen with all the basic stuff including a proper coffee machine. Tea/coffee supplies were good, not the cheap no-name brands. Iron, ironing board, sleepers and robes were also available. Restaurant at the ground floor offered a good menu too (I only had one breakfast there and it was good).

However, all that comes with a price tag... The room costed about $240/night. So take it into account for the room size you get not in the city centre.

On the negative side of things I wasn’t really happy about them charging my credit card instead of the sponsoring company that has done bookings for me – it took me a bit of time to get the reimbursement from the company I was visiting. But if you travel for yourself, it shouldn’t be an issue.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear PPerth, Thank you for your review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at [The Olsen]. We are lucky to have a selection of original works by Dr John Olsen with a majority of these works coming from his Williams Creek series from 2002. At [The Olsen] we endeavour to provide all of our guests with a truly boutique experience. It is the attention to detail from our T2 selection of teas to the collaboration with Evo Hair for our exclusive hotel amenities combined with the in room furnishing and our hand selected staff that provide a truly unique experience at [The Olsen].

We look forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen] next time you are in Melbourne.
Snowy Mountains, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights recently with my partner at the Olsen and we both enjoyed our stay.

Check in was nice and easy, we arrived at around Midday but were able to be accommodated easily after the GSA followed up with housekeeping.

The location of The Olsen is spot on - brilliant location for shopping, browsing and getting around. It was only a 2 minute stroll down to Toorak Road and more importantly another 5 minutes down to Malvern Street where a cracking Souvlaki can be purchased @ Lambs !

Anyway, the room itself was well appointed with a hot plate, dishwasher, toaster etc so enough to cook up a mini storm if the weather is keeping you indoors. The room was neat and tidy and the bed was perfect.

We were located on level 12 (no level 13 at this place) and the penthouses must have been above us as it was surprisingly noisey with people stomping around and moving furniture upstairs - I suspect we also had a spa above us also as there was a bit of a pump noise that kicked in every now and then. But was not a big issue for us - but perhaps I will aim for level 11 next time.

I didnt dine in Spoonbill but did have a cheeky James Squires Golden Ale ($10) which was served by a friendly barman - the place looked pretty nice and some of the food that was coming out of the kitchen did tempt !

Will I come back ? Sure, I'd also like to check out the other Art Series Properties.

Well done guys.

Room Tip: Aim for level 11 & below.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy_Moylan, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know about your recent stay with us.
It truely sounds like you had a wonderful stay, of which will be passed on to our staff. (They love to hear this).
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I was excited to stay here and it did not disappoint. Such lovely touches with art books in room, lovely art, lovely decor, and omg what a comfortable bed. So conveniently located. A great hotel. I loved that there was not street noise - even on 3rd floor.

• Stayed September 2013
Paul R, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Caroline C,

It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at [The Olsen] it’s the attention to detail in all of our rooms that we hope all guests enjoy, from our custom made beds to the hand selected books on Australian Artwork and the fantastic Art of John Olsen.

We look forward to seeing you again at [The Olsen]
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#11 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!