“Great choice for a Melbourne stay!”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Great choice for a Melbourne stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here for convenience and location over Easter. on arrival we were welcomed with great service and an extremely easy check in. It was the Easter long weekend so daily the
Lobby was refilled with yummy chocolate eggs to take. Our room was styled nicely and was spacious. Beds and pillows were super comfy. Hotel is so close to tram stops and trains plus ghe option to hire the olsen car if required. The Only thing I missed out on was a bath to relax in. I highly recommend this property & We will def come back again for all of our future stays in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Become a Art Series member to save on nightly accommodation
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Easter certainly was an extremely exciting time here at [The Olsen]. Thank you for your feedback in regards to your time spent here over this amazing long weekend, Spirits were high all round that’s for sure and yes maybe the abundance of chocolate throughout the hotel impacted this!
Thank you kindly for your recommendation and if you want a bath or have a request similar in the future let us know and we will certainly do what we can to accommodate you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you cannot sleep on a bed at the Olsen you must have a problem

Great hotel really central to too rank and shopping... Ask for a quiet room.

Restaurant is average but there are many options in the area, and the city is 10-15 mins away

Staff are ok .. And there are very few rooms with baths... But you cannot beat the nice decor and comfy bed... Have stayed here for 3 years ... 2-3 times a year and do not plan to change

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
W e would like to thank you kindly for taking the time to give us your valued feedback. We appreciate all feedback in regards to [The Olsen].
There is no arguing that The Art Series Signature Beds are indeed unique and the perfect contributor for a deep, rejuvenating sleep. We are finding recently that many guests are taking their bed home with them as all the bedding is available for sale.
If you require a bath on your next stay we will certainly do our best to accommodate your request.
We look forward to having you sleep over again shortly.
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

nice boutique hotel in south yarra. tram stops out the front. good undercover parking. lots of restaurants below or nearby. small gym and fancy swimming pool with clear base where others can see you swimming. you could hear some tram noise in rooms. this has the best location of the three art series hotels for eating however I think I like the blackman best. bit more expensive but rooms are bigger closer to city and platinum members get the full 50% there.

• Stayed March 2013
It was very kind of you to write this constructive review, it is pleasing to have such valuable feedback in regards to the hotel and its facilities.
The swimming pool is one of my favourite aspects of [The Olsen]. It is very unique with its glass wall and glass bottom. This enhances ones time spent splashing around and really makes some of our locals envious.
Sorry to hear you heard some disturbance coming from the trams on Chapel Street. Generally they go by quietly though on occasion the old colonial style green and gold trams can rattle.
The Blackman hotel is indeed a marvellous property with an excellent décor. However for the record the benefits of being a Priority Guest Rewards member are the same throughout all three of the Art Series properties.
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Living in Tasmania I have to bring my family over to Melbourne to see Major Shows or to start trips. At the Olsen I always find the most courteous friendly and helpful staff I have found in Australia and equalling or surpassing the best in Europe. The rooms are immaculate I always look foward to staying there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tasmania is a beautiful state with scenery like nowhere else. With this in mind Melbourne has a lot to offer those from our neighbours from the South.
There honestly is no better compliment for our valued team here at [The Olsen] than yours “At the Olsen I always find the most courteous friendly and helpful staff I have found in Australia and equalling or surpassing the best in Europe.”
We sincerely thank you for these kind words and we look forward to accommodating you and your family next time you touch down in our fine city.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel was faultless, professional and my partner and I loved the art and room decor. Service was impeccable.

My average rating comes from its location. So it really depends on your travel objectives. For a slow paced, romantic holiday, South Yarra is great. Its near to beach-side at St Kilda. And the neighbourhood is quirky and worth exploring further. I like it more than central CBD area (didnt like chinatown/train station areas at night).

But it was our first visit to Melbourne, we only had 2.5 days in town, and being situated so far away means we gave up exploring Fitzeroy, Carlton, Lygon st precincts. Transport was a tad tricky, as detailed below.

Pros:
-quiet location, away from the hustle/bustle of central city
-great upmarket shopping within walking distance
-Room was spacious for 2, with own kitchenette and view of low-rise buildings around. I loved reading in the fancy leather lounger every night
-Service was immpeccable
-Plenty of food choices around,even late at night

Cons:
-Biggest minus points is its location away from central CBD area
-South Yarra is considered Zone 2 of the city tram-line. Transport to-and-fro is more expensive, be it by cab or public transport
-There is only 1 tram no 8 that goes into the city (tram stop is walking distance to hotel - plus pt)
-Since its off-central, we were always the last to be dropped off, and first to be picked up. We encountered this with the Airport shuttle, as well as the Day Tour we took to great ocean road. That accounts for an hour difference, as the shuttle services tourists staying in the city first.
-My towel had a black smudge on it.
-The door is paper-thin. We can hear house-keeping of the room opposite, if she leaves the door open. I tried to nap one afternoon and kept being woken up by some PR event happening in the suite next door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It was very kind of you to write such an extremely informative and constructive review. The management team and I have certainly read through it carefully and taken in each point.
Melbourne has many terrific areas for tourist and locals alike to explore. We are on the South side of the river and close to the Chapel Street, Bridge Road and St Kilda areas. All three are full of a large assortment of eateries, bars, cafes and shops.
There is just the one direct train to the CBD though this does run frequently and there is also trains every few minutes as well as taxis for ones convenience. Also I am sorry that you were misinformed in regards to the transport zones as South Yarra is definitely in Zone one.
Once again thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to have you visit us again in next to no time.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

My colleague and I got a 72 hour deal on Wotif and decided to stay at The Olsen for a few nights for work purposes. This hotel was a really nice surprise when I did not know what to expect with a smaller boutique hotel. The artwork in the hotel by John Olsen was truly amazing and I loved the glass wall between the bathroom and main room. The minibar was stocked full and the snacks were so original from the local markets. We went to the Spoonbill bar a few times and the knowledge and professionalism of the staff was great. Such a funky bar! Loved it. Only complaint would be that the lighting in the bathroom is hard to put your make up on with and also no powerpoint in the bathroom saw me trying to blowdry my hair with a stretch in the main bedroom. The location is perfect, nice and quiet, but close enough to restaurants and bars (and shopping) on Chapel Street. Would definately recommend and stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Claire I
Excellent work on spotting the 72 hour special we had on Wotif! This was a terrific deal; we do have specials like this from time to time which as you noticed are amazing value!
We may currently be a smaller brand hotel than most the other five star properties in Melbourne though we highly believe in quality over quantity.
As Spoonbill is an important part of [The Olsen] we love to hear how you found the team there to be "professional and knowledgeable". There is a variety of highly motivated young team members working there who love to share their knowledge with all.
We all look forward to seeing you again soon for a pleasant night’s sleep and some tasty bites!
hobart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at the Olsen for 3 nights in August last year (the review better late then never!)I found everything to be top standard.Check in was easy and the staff very friendly and helpful.I dined at the restaurant downstairs and had the famous paella which is the best I have ever had and my girlfriend whom met me there is Spanish and said the same.
My room was absolutely spotlessly clean and with a balcony which was great.I asked for a dvd player which was delivered very quickly and set up with no trouble at all from the great staff,would recommend this Hotel highly,great location too,just walk up the street for all the boutique shopping you could ask for in Toorak Rd.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
We are thankful for any reviews we may receive and it’s great to know we made such a lasting impression on you.
I myself love it when you arrive at a hotel and the check in process is smooth and hassle free. We aim to focus on all aspects of a guest stay.
Nothing assists one in feeling like they're on holidays than a shopping precinct such as the Chapel St - Toorak Rd intersection! Some say the only problem they have is deciding where to start their shopping spree!
We look forward to having you stay here with us again in 2013.