“Exceptional hotel”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #31 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Fantastic service, staff were always very willing to help with any quiries or questions that we had. Restaurant staff were also very nice & well mannered. very clean rooms & very Nicly decorated. I will be recommending your hotel to everyone that I can & I can guarantee that I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Emmamarson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've stayed at The Olsen a number of times now, and like most of what it does, but it seems to just fall short of a 5 star rating each time... On the 'plus' side, the room was large, spacious with a nice view and the linen was fantastic. I'm not a great fan of the pillows here, but had a good nights sleep nonetheless. Whilst it's reasonable value for money here, I'm always a little surprised that many of the rooms don't have baths... One thing to note, I stayed on the 12th floor, and (I've not noticed it before in other rooms so much), but I was surprised how thin the walls are - able to hear a lot of basic noises from adjacent rooms (taps running, TV on etc) so don't think the soundproofing is all that good - also the lift seems to make a reasonably loud banging / clanking noise any time it moves!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank AJSLondon
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We certainly appreciate the feedback that we receive, as this helps us to continually improve the experience for our guests. We are very flexible here at The Olsen and welcome any requests; for example - away from the lifts. Next time you are coming to The Olsen, please let us know, so we can assign a suite in the appropriate area of the hotel.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending a night with 2 friends on a girls overnight trip to the city this week. We enjoyed many aspects; express check in with Brendan who made us feel very welcome, the little treats in our suite, the suite itself, the Olsen art, the close proximity to shopping in Sth Yarra/Richmond/City, Supermarket across the road, trams close by. We enjoyed dinner at the hotel's Spoonbill Restaurant. Staff were all very helpful and friendly. Highly recommend, I'll be going back!

Room Tip: Give hotel a call to discuss room, while our suite had fantastic huge balcony for entertaining (1213...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Pauline J
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I just recently came back from 1 1/2 weeks in Melbourne for a business trip (from New York State) and stayed at The Olsen. I stayed in a small studio suite, but it was very comfortable. Aside from a king size bed and nice bathroom with shower, it contained a kitchenette, desk, seating table and couch. Great view looking up Chapel Street. The employees of the hotel were all extremely helpful. They have a wonderful area on the 1st floor along with a pool and sitting area outside. If you're driving here, they have a decent parking garage below the hotel, but as I didn't want to attempt driving (left side road rules), i took the Star Bus from the airport in Melbourne for only $20AUS.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jim D
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was our second visit to the Olsen. The first visit we were obviously in a larger room as this one was small. Very well appointed however, very contemporary with lovely decor. The location is fabulous with Chapel Street at your doorstep. The bed wonderfully comfortable. Spoonbill the downstairs restaurant offers great food and service in an informal setting. On the downside, we had to request for housekeeping to come and make up our room at 9pm at night after returning from being out for the day and also despite asking Reception on our way out to ensure our room was made up. Also, it was most unfortunate that at the time of our visit it coincided with a group of really inconsiderate guests that were in and out of their rooms slamming doors and talking in raised voices. There also was a really annoying constant dripping sound coming from the airconditioning that was loud enough to disturb our sleep. To the defence of the Hotel when these issues were raised they did say that there is a night manager that would normally intervene with any guests disturbing the privacy of others. Reception staff addressed our concerns with professionalism and courtesy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank audrey632

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. It disappoints us all when we hear that your second stay was not as enjoyable as the first. I certainly understand your frustrations with the issues that you experienced, and I offer my sincerest apologies to you. When we receive feedback such as yours we ensure that it is followed up and all efforts are made to reduce similar incidents in the future. I am glad that the duty manager was able to address your concerns professionally and promptly. We would always encourage our guests to raise any issues straight away, rather than letting them drag out until departure. Once again I thank you for your comments and would encourage you to call me when you are next coming to Melbourne.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this lovely hotel for my birthday weekend.
The hotel is located in Chapel street surrounded by shops,cafes,restaurants, bars and clubs.
We stayed in a deluxe spa suite which was absolutely AMAZING! The room is a good size for two people - don't need any bigger. The fireplace in the room made for a cosy night in - although a little difficult to put on we found! The outdoor spa tub was one of the favourites (second being the bed) pretty big and easy to turn on/off - you can just sit in there in complete privacy due to the massive umbrella overhead and sunshade. The outdoor seating area was cosy and conformable good size. Now the bed....... the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, but i guess thats what you get when staying at an art series hotel, because I've also stayed at the blackman! Comparing the two hotels id say the olsen is better because of the location and all the surrounding shops - also the outdoor spa but the blackman i found the interior to be nicer.

The bathroom a little tight though that wasn't a problem for me.

The location suited me but for others who don't like noise i wouldn't recommend.. basically id compare the location like staying in central surfers paradise with noise until 4am.

Overall i loved this hotel, and had a really good stay - check in is also fast!

Room Tip: High level to reduce noise.. The deluxe spa suite is gorgeous and id highly recommend even though i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank impressed18
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have now stayed at the art series on Chapel twice & we love it! The location is hard to beat! The rooms are stylish but have a very homely feel. We had a meal down stairs in the restaurant but we were 100% happy with it but it was still expectable. We never have a problem at any of the art series hotels - we have also stayed in the cullen off St Kilda Road. The staff are professional but also 'down to earth' & very friendly & are happy to assist with anything. We love staying here & will do again. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delia B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Chapel Street
Quest on Chapel
Quest on Chapel
#63 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!