“Everything you could ask for. IGNORE bad reviews!!!”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #30 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here 3 times and I will not stay anywhere else. We come from Adelaide and have stayed in most of the popular places the Olsen is the best followed by the Cullen. In particular we got the penthouse at Olsen during grand final week and it blew us away!

Personally I think most of the bad reviews I read we're a joke. I'm sure some had some problems but I read one about the tv menu not working properly! Get a life lol this hotel looks amazing, beds are sooo comfortable, the service is spot on, a good selection of entertaient, very very nice gym, great pool and it's on chapel st. the end!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Alice W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,837)

Reviewed June 17, 2012

It was such a pity that we arrived at the Olsen after a late flight and had to leave for family commitments early the next morning, as we would loved to have more time to relax and enjoy the hotel and the surrounding neighbourhood!

Check-in was fast and easy - they knew our name before we introduced ourselves. The property was modern but beautiful, with John Olsen artwork tastefully spread throughout. Our room was very good - good TV, comfortable bed, modern and clean bathroom, and even an unexpected kitchenette. Would have loved to have more time to have a swim in the pool, which has a clear bottom overlooking the street. Wifi was extra though.

Happy to stay here again, but there are lots of great hotels in Melbourne - and would also love to experience the other hotels in the Art Series! :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Loved this hotel, room was large with good view and awesome decor. Staff were fantastic and not just one of them but all of them.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KyleeNZ
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us at The Olsen. It is always pleasing to read that guests will return. Thank you for mentioning the work of our staff. We believe that there is so much benefit if we recruit staff that genuinely care about their job. It is a real motivator to all of us when guests appreciate the work that we do.

Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Just spent a few nights at The Olsen in Melbourne (business trip with the family) and I was seriously unimpressed. We were given a room without a tub despite the fact that we are traveling with our 17 mo old, and they were unable to accommodate us in another room. I thought the room was TINY and rather impractical. I find these artsy hotels to be more form over function - for example, we had about 15 art books in the room, but no waste basket! One of the biggest pet peeves I had was that it took several minutes for the water in the sink to heat up, which caused me to waste a lot of time (and water!) every time I washed my hands - which is frequently, with a toddler! - and then the drain didn't work properly, so the water would pool in the sink and threaten to overflow... So I had to run the tap, turn it off, wait for the sink to drain a bit, turn the tap back on to wait for the water to heat, repeat, repeat, repeat - just to wash my hands!! Talk about annoying. Right next to the sink was one of those "help us save the environment by reusing your towel" signs, and I just kept thinking how much more water was being wasted waiting for the tap to heat than I was saving by reusing my towel! Then the A/C unit made a very loud humming/buzzing sound which was bothersome enough to prevent me from being able to sleep, so we had to turn the unit off overnight (and woke up freezing). The shower door also leaked somehow and would get the bathroom floor all wet - another hazzard with a toddler running around.
We ended up changing rooms after the first night due to the noise from the A/C unit and I thought the other problems would be fixed as well, but in the new room the water still took forever to heat and the drain did not drain either!
Then there were a few other minor things - like the placement of the toilet paper holder which drove my husband crazy (you have to contort backwards to reach it) and the fact that there is no lobby area to speak of and the entrance was always freezing because it's minuscule and the sliding doors are constantly opening. Although it's supposed to be self catering, it is really just a basic hotel room - small, and no laundry facilities in the room - something that was very important to me! We went to check out the coin operated machines and the dryer was out of order, so we went to another floor, and although it costs $2, the machines don't accept $2 coins. So we had to go down to get change, then one of the coins we were given was bent slightly and the machine wouldn't accept it, so back down we went... Then we ended up getting locked out of the laundry floor because of some security feature - a simple load of laundry turned into a major fiasco!!
I also found the service to be sub-standard. We were offered a baby tub to bathe our child, but it was never brought to our room. Other requests took a long time to respond to.  My greatest shock was over the fact that we spent another 2 nights in the hotel after changing rooms and when we were packing on the last day, my husband was missing a pair of shoes. After searching every square inch of the room, I wondered if we had left it behind when we had moved after the first night. We thought surely, if we had left something in the room the hotel would have told us!  We almost left without the shoes, but decided to ask just in case.  Sure enough, a couple hours later, we were brought the shoes - but it made me wonder how no one questioned things left behind in a room, when we'd just moved down the hall, and what else we may have left behind that went unnoticed! (Also, when we first mentioned the shoes, no one seemed to have any idea what we were talking about... Then they suddenly magically appeared...?)
Another big annoyance for me was that not only is internet not included (which it absolutely should be at this price point!), but after you pay your fee, you can only link one device at a time, so I couldn't have my phone and iPad connected simultaneously. I had to keep signing off, signing on, and re-entering the code a million times. I find this to be outrageous and extremely frustrating - and something that is so easily avoided!!
My last complaint was about the restaurant. The service was shocking - we asked for some vegetables to be brought out as soon as possible for our toddler, and we ended up getting all our other food first, and has to ask 3 times to check on the veg status. My husband ordered a cocktail which came in a tiny, half-filled martini glass, and then got the shock of his life when he saw the price - $22! The rest of the meal was equally minuscule and overpriced. $7 for one taco which was less than 2 bites... We spent $100 and left hungry.
I have one positive thing to say - the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable (and the minibar was quite different and interesting - not that we took advantage of it). For me, bed comfort is paramount and makes up for a lot, but it's not quite enough to cover all the grievances I had with this place. We will definitely be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank nessjoy4
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It's disappointing that we were unable to make your experience a positive one. All hotels from time to time will have issues; its how they get resolved which really makes the difference. We pride ourselves on being able to turn a negative into a positive, and I am sorry that we have fallen short on this occasion.

I would like to apologise for the maintenance issues that you experienced. This is well below our standard and has certainly been actioned since your departure. Our hotel has a very proactive preventative maintenance program, as we are always trying to stay in front so that these problems can be avoided.

We have an onsite reservations team that are here to answer any queries that our guests or potential guests may have. We know that not all of our rooms will suit everyone, especially families like yours. That is why we encourage people to ask us questions before they arrive, so we can match them with the best possible suite to suit their needs.

Although your feedback is disappointing, it does offer us a great insight and helps us to improve if we have made an error. We will use your comments to further train our team and fix the issues that you have raised.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Wonderful to experience Australian contemporary art at your doostep. Fantastic location to enjoy some of Melbourne best cafes, restaurants & bars.
Staff incredibly friendly & helpful. Rooms well decked out with mini kitchens and fairly spacious. Ask for a room on the high floor - district views are great.
Spoonbill cafe shows promise - staff were a little flustered with a big crowd.

Room Tip: Hi Floor for amazing views
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at the Olsen, great room, vibe and location! Thanks!

Room Tip: Ensure you call first to ask for more detail about the rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Short and sweet, with a great tip. Our reservations team work at the hotel and not in a call centre. They know the product and are here to assist with any recommendations and advice. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I was here for a business trip and I found the rooms clean and stylish - quite different from your regular business hotel. Needless to say, the decor was beautiful. You get everything you'd normally expect from a nice hotel. That said, it's more like a little serviced apartment than a hotel, it has a nice little nook for your kitchen suppliers and of course, a comfy, supportive bed - which are all nice things to have! No complaints and will recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#9 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!