“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (Chapel Street)   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT SAVE FROM 20%
Ranked #22 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I was here for a business trip and I found the rooms clean and stylish - quite different from your regular business hotel. Needless to say, the decor was beautiful. You get everything you'd normally expect from a nice hotel. That said, it's more like a little serviced apartment than a hotel, it has a nice little nook for your kitchen suppliers and of course, a comfy, supportive bed - which are all nice things to have! No complaints and will recommend the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at Olsen with my partner over the long weekend in a spa suite, room 101 it was fantastic,
room was sparkling clean and so big we could easy leave in it, special touches with magazines,art books, kitchen,spa in the bathroom and huge spa otside with out door furniture, swimmingpool just outside the room, king bed which was fantastic I had a great night sleep. After 30 min. of our arrival the cheese platter was deliverd to our room what a suprise .... staff was very friendly... serivice was great...amaising excperiance. My mum booked this room for my birthday and it was best gift ever......thank you mum thank you Olsen we will be back.

Room Tip: book room 101 and leave the kids at home with baby sitter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Wow, what a headline! Thank you for such a great review. Our aim is to be the best hotel we can be and it is always pleasing when we receive feedback such as yours. Each guests experience should be special, and we are glad that your birthday fell into the same category.

When you are next looking for a relaxing spa, we hope you will think of us here at The Olsen. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you for your next birthday.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just spent a night at the Olsen. The art concept is great and you do feel immersed in the art of John Olsen. The rooms are an average size, but very smartly appointed. The bathroom is small (with no bath) but again is smart and modern. The art books and the documentary on Olsen playing on the tv on arrival are a nice touch. We only stayed one night but the staff were friendly and efficient. The room was spotless and the bed was very comfortable. My wife who travels all the time and is a pillow "nazi", loved the pillows.

If you want the big 5 star lobby etc and a large bathroom, this wouldn't be for you. But for a very smart 4.5 star hotel with a twist, in a great location for shopping and cafes etc, the Olsen is hard to beat. Certainly made me want to try the Blackman and the Cullen

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking to time to tell us about your stay. We obviously love the concept too and it's great to see you enjoyed your Olsen experience. The beds and pillows always get great comments; many people actually buy them from us. Guests who stay with us usually love the location like yourself. There are heaps of cafes in our area; Movida Bakery has just opened 5 minutes from the hotel. It has been a real hit since coming to South Yarra.

I'm glad you enjoyed your suite on this occasion. Next time my recommendation is to request a room with a bath and even ask our in house reservations team about our larger suites. They are always here to give advice so that you are comfortable during time with us.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Olsen or helping you get to The Cullen or Blackman Hotels.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Special thanks to the staff at the Olsen and in particular Vallantyen for making our stay so special. We had a fantastic room, beautiful furnishing and art work throughout and to top it off a great view. Thanks for the bubbles! We will definitely be back again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Part of an Art series hotels, Olsen's premium location and spacious, beautifully decorated rooms are the winner.

My daughter and I stayed in a twin room for only one night but wished it was much much longer.

The foyer of the hotel is decorated with amazing Olsen landscape paintings and wherever you go, whether it is a spa, hallway or a lift, you are pleasantly confronted with one or two Olsen remarkable paintings. On our short stay I have fallen in love not only with this impeccable 5 star hotel, but also with very inspirational Australian artist, Olsen.

The twin room we have stayed in was very spacious with view over Chapel street. The two kings beds are very comfortable, with a quality crispy linen and separated by a wall. There are two 42” flat screen televisions. So when my daughter decided to go to bed earlier, I stayed up for a few more hours, lying in bed, watching TV, sipping wine and enjoying my luxurious surroundings. Because of the wall that separated two king beds, my daughter could blissfully sleep without being disturbed by the noise coming from my TV set and my wine sipping….mmmm.

The twin room has a small kitchenette with all the kitchen utensils you will need to prepare your own dinner or breakfast. We decided not to go out and cook our own dinner. All the cutlery, crockery and dinnerware looked untouched and it dawned on us that we are probably the first ones ever who decided to cook in this hotel. My daughter and I contemplated for a few minutes on a likelihood of anyone who decides to stay in this luxurious 5 star hotel with its abundance of restaurants in Chapel Street and a short walk to Toorak street, bringing in their own cooking ingredients. Giggling we came to the conclusion that yes, we are weird and probably the first ones.

Yes, we have enjoyed our home/hotel cooked dinner and yes we enjoyed our short stay at Olsen and undutifully be back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank natanya613
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I booked the Olsen following reason reviews on Trip Advisor and I wasn't let down. It really is lovely and so conveniently placed for shopping in Sourh Yarra and getting further afield using Sth Yarra train station literally five minutes walk.

I stayed here on my own. Came down on a Friday night to go to the ballet on the Southbank. So easy to get there by train and felt very safe coming back here alone on the train. Nice area with lots of folk around.

I wanted to stay over here rather than near the State theatre on Southbank as I wanted to do some shopping as well and this is certainly the place to be right on top of the Chapel St shops.

All in all I had a lovely overnight stay and m aged to squeeze two days of indulgence in Melbourne out of it. Take other reviewers point about quirky bathroom but as I was on my own didn't bother me. Would have shared room comfortably with my husband but not a girlfriend - it would be too 'personal'.

Staff fab and little surprises re personalized service - I won't spoil them - come stay at the Olsen and see for yourself!

• Stayed June 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Olsen for nearly two weeks and and can highly recommend the place. The staff are really helpful, the room service prompt, the beds very comfortable and the John Olsen art brings joy and life to the place. I stayed in two different rooms, a deluxe room on the 14th floor and a two bedroom suite on the 10th floor, both of which had great views of the city and were modern and bright in tone.
Only a couple of tiny points...it seems that one can hear the lifts operating whatever room you choose, but it's better to be as far away as possible, otherwise there's a constant bumping sound to contend with. Otherwise the sound proofing of the windows means no noise penetrates from outside so the rooms are nice and quiet. Secondly, the food is good from the Spoonbill restaurant, but it would be great if the menu was a bit more extensive, particularly when it comes to the room service choice.

Room Tip: choose as far away from the lifts as possible since they are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business