“Great location, cool boutique hotel”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #27 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, cool boutique hotel”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is a very modern, sleek arty hotel with modern decor. Our bed was up against a painted glass wall. The other side of the glass was the bathroom. Not much of a noise buffer for someone using the bathroom but it looked good when the bathroom light was on which lit up the bed. There was also a stove, sink and mini fridge in our room, with cutlery, plates and a saucepan. The room was average sized and clean. The location was perfect - steps to Chapel St and all the shops, restaurants and cafes. The only problem we had was we paid for WiFi for a day but because we both had electronic devices, we were charged twice for WiFi use. Apparently the price is per user per day, not per room. They very kindly agreed to drop one of the charges after we complained. Our room faced the back of the hotel which was a field hockey field. Overall very happy with our stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Your review is very informative and certainly offers travellers some great advice. From your review it appears that you were in our studio suite. This suite offers a self contained option, with the smaller kitchenette and bathroom. For travellers coming for a longer stay, I would recommend the deluxe studio. The deluxe provides our guests with a larger living space and bathroom. In saying that the studio is a fantastic option, that gives the guest the Olsen experience.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our internet service. Currently it is charged per device, rather than per room. This is something that we are evaluating, so that we can ensure a user friendly service for our guests.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We drove from Lorne after 3 days on Great Ocean Road to be met outside the Hotel by who I thought was the Concierge. He kindly looked after our luggage as we booked in and when I asked him how I could get back from dropping off our hire car in the Melbourne CBD he offered to pick me up. Great customer service but on coming back I found out that he was actually the General Manager Troy who "liked to get involved and meet his customers" We were extremly luck y that we arrived when we did. Room allocated to us superb on the top 14th floor with views south towards St Kildas. We woke up one morning to the site of 6 Hot air balloons over the city. Great views from our window.
Downsides were that you only access to certain fllors which proved a little difficult when we had Laundry and no laundry room on our floor. We had aproblem with washing machine which was eventually sorted but not helped by lack of access to all floors. With so many original paintings I appreciate the need for security and it was just one of those things. Overall a great place to stay with comfortable beds Great views and good value for money

Room Tip: Go for the 14th floor if you can
1 Thank Tony B
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of The Olsen Hotel. Whether it is Troy; our Magnificent General Manager, or any of our guest experience team members, we all aim to provide great customer service.

We appreciate the feedback regarding our floor access. We have laundry facilities on floors two to eight. For the security of our guests we only allow access to the floor that your suite is on. This obviously causes occasional issues when guests on the higher floors wish to use the laundries. Our staff will always assist with this when we are required.

You have mentioned some great points about the hotel. One of our best assets is the views from many of our suites. From the Melbourne Cricket Ground, to the CBD, around to Port Phillip Bay, there are superb sights to wake up to.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon at The Olsen Hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed in their most basic room which I got a deal on from Scoopon. The room had a very nice atmosphere, equipped with basic amenities which you would expect from a 5 star hotel. It also had a comfy bed. However the thing that I found absurd was that it didn't have a proper shower. It was a shower head with a curtain which you pulled around. This caused the bathroom floor to be very wet with water splashing everywhere. I would stay there again as it was an excellent location but I would like to have a proper enclosed shower if I were to pay full price.

• Stayed September 2011
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review The Olsen Hotel. Overall it appears that your experience with us was a positive one, especially with the Art Series Signature bed. In response to your concerns regarding the shower; it does seem that you were allocated a disabled suite. Our preference is not to use these suites; however there are times when our occupancy is high and we are required to use these rooms. We recommend that you request not to be allocated one of these rooms if you were to stay again in the future.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon, it was fantastic! Beautiful room, friendly staff, no problem with arrival at 1am, and free late checkout! The food at bluebottle restaurant was so good we didn't even have to use all the restaurants available on Chapel St! After a good stay at the Cullen just after it opened 2 years back, we can't wait to try the Blackman too...... Loved the Olsen!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a great review of our hotel. We aim to make every guest feel special and even more so on an occasion like your wedding honeymoon. It pleases us when guests say that they didn't leave the hotel. Although Chapel Street has so much to offer, we love the fact that our facilities and service within the hotel was what you were looking for.

Thank you for mentioning our staff; they do like to go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Olsen Hotel soon.
Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Great hotel, excellent service & dreamy bed! We ended up staying at the Hotel for dinner it was so handy & delicious!

• Stayed September 2011
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Short, sweet, and to the point. You have captured The Olsen Hotel in a few words. We really appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This was my third stay at The Olsen. Each stay has been a different room type and totals nine nights. I thought it was time to finally post a review as the consistency and ease that this hotel presents is one of the reasons I will now stay with Art Series whenever I am in Melbourne. My sister and I had a Deluxe Two Bedroom Suite and it was absolutely gorgeous and perfect to share with someone other than a partner, as it allows quite a good deal of privacy which is hard to find in a regular room with twin beds. One of the best features are the beds and pillows (when I hop into them I am sure I have a little smile on my face) and the noise from Chapel Street is fully blocked out which is very good for such a location. Shame it didn't block out my sisters little bouts of snoring...!

Upon arriving, Mark at reception remembered me from my previous visit, which I LOVED and the not-too-try-hard manner of the very pleasant staff is really nice to have. There is nothing I am unsettled by more than people pretending to like their job or to like the people they have to deal with. But it is apparent that The Olsen staff do like working there.

Everything went smoothly. The housekeepers are discreet and cute, they do their thing without a fuss. They washed my dishes xx thanks for that. Again, I liked wandering around looking at Mr. Olsen's work.

My sister liked the gym. I had a quick dip in the pool but mostly I liked to stay in and read the magazines in the room and sleep. Even the local shopping didn't entice me as much as the bed!

We had dinner at Steer on Saturday night, and I am not so much into meat but the other offerings were fabulous so of course I gorged myself all the way through to dessert. I will definitely go there again! We arrived a little late at 9.30pm without a booking but they were very welcoming and happy to feed us.

The location is wonderful. It is only a short tram ride to the CBD (the tram stop is a few steps away) and there is a bright new supermarket over the street which is ideal for stocking up to cook in the kitchenette. And lots of other shops close by in Richmond and further up in Prahran.

Next time I go to Melbourne I will probably try The Cullen...but I said that last time and I somehow still managed to be lured back to The Olsen. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review of The Olsen Hotel. It is great to read about the improvement of our property from your first stay to now. It really pleases us that your experiences at the hotel are satisfying and of a standard that makes you want to return. Your remarks about the two bedroom suite are spot on. They really illustrate the positive aspects of this space. It also shows the importance of speaking with our dedicated reservations staff who can recommend the perfect suite for any traveller.

The most pleasing part of your review is your mention of our staff. We do aim to provide a genuine style of service that offers a unique experience for every guest. I would also like to thank you for mentioning Mark; one of our guest experience team members.

We thank you for your review and hope that you will not wait too long to experience the Art Series Hotel Group again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I would highly recommend this Lovely Hotel for any occasion. My partner attended for a Business and I went along for some R&R. The rooms are amazing and the staff throughtout the whole Hotel are extremely helpful and welcoming. I attended at their lovely restuarant on a few occasions. Their staff are extremely welcoming and the food amazing. I spent a day at the Spa which was an extremely relaxed atmosphere and wonderfull friendly staff. The Olsen is situated in prime position for shopping within Melbourne. I am looking forward to my next trip to Melbourne and will definitly stay at The Olsen again.

Regards
Leanne & Naomi Storo-Hall from Sydney

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms would be lovely regardless.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Leanne and Naomi - I would like to thank you for your review. For one paragraph you have been able to list so many positives about the hotel and the area of South Yarra. The Olsen Hotel is situated in a prime position. Close to the CBD and on the door step of many top restaurants and boutique shopping spots. Apart from the great location, we have a new property with some amazing staff. We really appreciate that you have mentioned the efforts of our staff. We place a large focus on this area and hope that all guests feel that our staff have enhanced their experience. We look forward to wishing you back to The Olsen Hotel again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Chinatown
Ovolo Laneways
Ovolo Laneways
#14 of 159 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!