“Great hotel - location, service, comfort, cleanliness” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #26 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Great hotel - location, service, comfort, cleanliness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Parking was definitely an issue, but I think that is pretty standard in Melbourne. Otherwise, this hotel is a great place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review The Olsen, your feedback is appreciated. Your heading sums up our most important aspects - location, service, comfort and cleanliness. Apart from creating a unique experience, we aim to make sure the basics are done to the highest of standards. I'm glad you found this to be the case, and I hope that this encourages you to return in the future.

A small note on our parking: the hotel has valet and self parking facilities. If these car spaces are full we are lucky to have 2 external car parks within 50m of the hotel entrance.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Hi There

I stayed at The Olsen on 25 June in a Deluxe Studio Suite for one night.

I can't fault the hotel, except that the front desk took 3 hours to deliver our luggage once we checked in at about 3pm. We initially arrived at 10am from Sydney and check-in wasn't available until 1:30. But these things happen.

But the most pleasant experience was the bed i.e. mattress and the pillows. They are the most comfortable pillows and mattress I have ever slept on! I've stayed at most 5 star hotels in both Sydney and Melbourne but have never felt this comfortable. It was an amazing experience. And if you are looking for comfort and style then this is a MUST stay.

Can you tell me what mattress and pillows you use? i.e. what brand and if these hotel collections are available for retail sale.

Many thanks.

2 Thank msbaybee
Thank you for your feedback and positive comments about our bedding. I am disappointed to read about your luggage, this is not the standard that we set. In most cases we can get our guests in before our guaranteed 2pm check-in, I apologise that we could not accommodate you earlier. As Saturdays (June 25) are our busiest day, I would believe this is the reason for the delay. I hope that this was not too much of an inconvenience for you.

The pillows, sheets and mattresses are made exclusively for the Art Series Hotel Group. They are an amazing product and something that we are proud of. A lot of work (or sleeping) was done to ensure we selected the best bedding we could for our hotels. These products can be purchased from the hotel and sent directly to your home. Please call us at The Olsen if you would like some information sent to you, we would be happy to assist you.

Thank you again for your fabulous feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at The Olsen from 12-15 June 2011. We were lucky to get the studio room for AUD$139 per night for a 3 night deal from Wotif. I was in love with this hotel by the end of our stay and did not want to leave!

Location: If you want to experience the best of Melbourne, this is it! The Olsen is right in the middle of Melbourne’s renowned Chapel Street Shopping Precinct and what better way to enjoy great food and shopping in Australia’s most fashionable city. We couldn’t be happier with the convenience of being so close to all the nice shops and restaurants on Chapel Street and Toorak Road. To top things off, The Olsen is only about 500m to the South Yarra Train Station and even closer to the Toorak Road tram line, which makes it super easy to travel to Melbourne CBD.

Room:
Positives:
The room we had is full of artworks on the wall and very nicely designed. It gets plenty of natural lights from the window and was clean, trendy and practical. What we liked most about the room were the kitchenette (which includes a microwave griller and stovetop) and the T2 tea bags. For people with special dietary requirement, the microwave and stovetop would be very helpful. We were happy to be able to heat up our croissant in the griller in the mornings. There is an ipod docking station for the convenience of iphone users. To my pleasant surprise,I also found 2 pairs of slippers in the closet! Not many hotels do that. There is also full body mirror so you can make sure you look as trendy as possible before you head out.
Negatives:
The only thing I can pick on is probably the fact that the TV is not right in front of the bed. It is on the front left of the bed facing the windows and we had to turn it so that it kind of diagonally faces the bed. However, it is not a big issue at all.

Bathroom:
Positives: The sink in the bathroom is wide and deep enough so that water doesn’t get splashed to the floor. We were also impressed with the spacious shower room which has an all enclosed shower door, unlike some boutique hotels only do a half wall for the shower area. Having the water tap on the right side wall instead of right underneath the showertap also shows that they have put some thoughts into the practicality of things. One other minor detail I like is the towel rack right next to the shower door so that each towel can be neatly placed on each layer of the rack easily.
Negatives:
They don’t provide any shower cap in the bathroom. I did not bother to ask for them as it didn’t bother me that much. There is also no powerpoint in the bathroom so you can’t actually blow-dry your hair in front of the mirror.

Service:
The best thing I love about The Olsen (second to its location) is the service they provide. Staff we encountered were all very professional and helpful. They allowed us to check-in early and delivered our luggage to our room. When we needed to print our boarding passes for our flight, they delivered the printouts to our room so we didn’t have to go down to collect it. As I had forgotten to bring my mobile phone charger, I was very excited and relieved to find out that they actually have universal mobile charger for guests to charge their phones at the Reception desk! That was a blessing as it saved me $35 buying another charger.

My stay at The Olsen Hotel is the best boutique hotel experience I had in Australia and I wish there are more boutique hotels like this in Australia. I am happy to stay here again next time I go to Melbourne and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who’s visiting Melbourne.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank waterlover616
Wow, what a review this is for our hotel. We thank you for going into so much detail. This not only helps us to improve our building and services, but also tells us what we are doing right. Your thorough feedback is sure to assist travellers coming to Melbourne and hopefully The Olsen Hotel. We really enjoyed reading your comments; I hope that we will see you soon, so you can have another fantastic Olsen experience.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I live in Melbourne and were wanting a night together without the kids. A friend recommended The Olsen. From the moment we drove in the drive we were greeted with the smiling face of one of the Olsens' helpful staff. All the staff were great and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The room was very modern, spacious and clean. We had a magnificent view along Chapel st towards the bay. We have travelled alot and the king size mattress and pillows were some of the more comfortable I have experienced. We asked a staff member if he could recommend a place to have lunch and instead of just recommending one of the Olsen's restaurants, he provided us with a variety of restaurants in close proximity to the hotel. It's in a fantastic location. We had to go to the city to catch up with friends and the the taxi only took five minutes. There was also public transport right out the front door if we wanted. We Will definetly be returning for another stay.

Room Tip: View was great on the south side of the building
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed at The Olsen for 3 nights as a weekend away in Melbourne. The best bit of this hotel is the location. We were mainly in Melbourne for good shopping, good food and footy at the G. All the shops of Chapel Street and the many and varied restaurants/cafes through South Yarra and Prahan are an easy walk from the hotel. The CBD is 20 minutes on the #8 tram on Toorak Road, or 10 minutes on the train from South Yarra station. The MCG was a nice walk or short train trip. We got a great bargain on booking.com for about $145/night and for that price, this place was great. The rooms are clean, modern and filled with some cool art. We had a studio with full kitchen facilities, so you could cook if you wanted - but with the food options nearby, we ate out for every meal. The only negative for this place was small - a 1.5% credit card surcharge on checking out that I didn't see on the booking papers and even if it was in the fine print - it's poor form for the only way you can pay on most websites to attract a surcharge. Get rid of that and I'm entirely happy!

1 Thank 4leaf1981
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell fellow travellers about The Olsen. You have provided some very valuable feedback for people coming to our hotel, especially regarding the ease of access to so many things-to-do. Thank you for mentioning the art work that we have in our rooms. We believe that the artwork sets us apart from other hotels and provides a real point of difference for our guests. With regards to the credit card transaction fee; we will do an audit on all of our agents who sell the hotel on our behalf to ensure this fee is communicated effectively to future guests. Thank you again for your valuable comments, we hope to see you again soon.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Another nice hotel in the Art Series chain probably the best location of the 3 I have stayed.Also very well appointed and the bathroom is good size which isnt all ways the case at this chain, the coffee shop needs to improve but given the vicinity of others it doesn't matter much

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TonWin
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our other hotels have great locations, but we are in the perfect spot if you’re looking for amazing shopping and restaurants. Everything you will need is right on our door step and within walking distance. I hope you made the most of the location and enjoyed what Chapel Street has to offer. Although it is disappointing to read about our coffee shop, this is valuable feedback for them as they strive to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and I escaped from the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 and flew to Melbourne. We were treated like royalty when we arrived at The Olsen Hotel and were well looked after throughout our week's stay. We were pampered and would like to thank the staff and management for helping us to stabilize after our traumatic experience in New Zealand.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing The Olsen Hotel. It gives us great pleasure to read that you were treated so well. I’m glad that we helped make your experience a positive one, after you have been through so much. We look forward to seeing you again soon.