It's very modern, the artworks and interior design are all brilliant.
A little on the tiny side, but still large enough for 2 people. The bathroom door is glass w/ a image etched into it, however it doesn't close flush with the wall which allows for steam to escape and any toilet activity is clearly heard in the room (can be a little distracting).
The room was fitted with a tiny kitchenette, which would suit most, and the bed was large. However it was on a spring base and not a full ensemble. The lighting in the room was a little dull at times. The room had a iPod/iPhone dock which was great especially if you forgot your charger!
The TV was a large flatscreen mounted on the wall (although it didn't get much use). A glass dining table was in the center of the room and was a good size. Two smaller chairs were positioned against the window these were a little uncomfortable - however not a big deal because the only time I used them was when I wanted to sit somewhere to put on my shoes.
Beware the spa bath, starting it up too soon can lead to a tsunami of water flooding your bathroom. I couldn't work out how to fill the bath so had to use the shower head, this steamed up the room quickly. Bathroom was very clean aside from that. There was some grout discoloration forming around the basin, so if the cleaners don't jump on that straight away it will quickly manifest itself into mould and then you might as well start thinking about a refurb.
Pillows looked brand new, sheets were nicely washed. Carpet had a few scuff marks, but on the whole was spotless. Balcony had some paint missing on the hand rails. Aside from that no issues at all.
A little expensive, given that it was only a studio room. Also the location isn't the most convenient you still have to allow time to catch a tram/cab into the city. However it could have been worse.
The staff on the front counter were very friendly and incredibly helpful. They were able to answer every question I threw at them, including some curve balls about where to find dinner after a show! Could have been more pleased with the counter staff.
Suggestions to management:
1) Make sure you don't drop the ball with the cleaning and maintenance, the Blackman is a wonderful hotel, and it would be a shame for it to become "just another hotel" in the city
2) Perhaps introduce a loyalty program. I asked at the counter and none was mentioned. I am personally 90% sure I would visit again, but with an incentive it would be a no-brainer!
3) Your post-11pm room service menu needs a little work. Microwavable meals are not good enough. Even a junior cook could throw together some fries and aioli! Or thieve a burger flipper from McDonalds down the road to cook up a couple of meat patties!
Brilliant hotel, loved the experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a contemporary, boutique interior and an enviable St Kilda Road location, just a stones throw from Melbourne’s CBD, The Blackman Hotel will inspire Melbourne’s imagination. A destination perfect for business or leisure travellers, this unique Melbourne hotel boasts 209 guest accommodations and suites, a selection of which host private terraces.Built within and above the historic Airlie Mansion, The Blackman Hotel will charm and inspire guests with the works of one of Australia’s most celebrated artists, Charles Blackman, showcased throughout this unique hotel space.The Blackman Hotel is also dedicated to ensuring your visit to Melbourne is complete with dining options to tempt your tastebuds. Experience two of Melbourne’s hottest new restaurants right at your own doorstop. Couple this with our state-of-art gymnasium and your luxurious five-star experience is complete. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Art Series - The Blackman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Art Series - The Blackman Hotel Melbourne