“Excellent boutique hotel on St Kilda Rd”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #12 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Excellent boutique hotel on St Kilda Rd”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We have just returned from 3 nights at this latest addition to the trendy new Art Hotels series (apparently they are planning to add another 3 Melbourne hotels to their portfolio - I do hope one of them is going to be in Richmond, my favourite area of Melbourne and surely an area in need of a good boutique hotel...). The Blackman was a class act in every way, and I am a difficult customer to please given that I am a light sleeper susceptible to disruptive noises and lumpy or overly soft beds.

The location on St Kilda Road is interesting and convenient. The leafy boulevard is a delight to walk down or look out over, and despite the traffic it is also rather quiet. You are just a short walk from Albert Park, Fawkner Park and the Domain and Botanic Gardens - all great for walking - and only a short tram ride from the city, St Kilda or South Yarra/Prahran. So you can easily access these areas without staying right in the middle of them (which can be noisy).

The hotel is filled with Charles Blackman artworks. There are two eateries (although we did not try either of them on this trip, the coffee from the daytime one did smell quite good). The room was beautifully appointed with comfortable furnishings and a kitchenette. The bed was very comfortable indeed.

We were lucky to get a good rate as we booked just after the hotel opened, but I suspect their prices will increase very quickly if they have not already done so. However, I would say in this case it is worth it.

Often when in Melbourne I am there either visiting family and friends in the inner north and eastern suburbs (for which this hotel is not perhaps the best located), or working in the city (for which this hotel would be well located, being just a short tram ride into town), and so depending on the reason for my next visit I would certainly consider staying here again and even making it one of my 'regular' hotels.

I'd happily recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Ben_Ezard, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. I am thrilled to hear of your wonderful time with us. We are very lucky with our location being in a quiet area but just a short tram ride to St Kilda, The CBD and South Yarra.
Our beds have been very popular, they are made just for the Art Series Hotels by AH Beard and we can sell them direct to the public.
It is wonderful to know that you would recommend The Blackman to anyone and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Melbourne.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Greek first
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We had three nights booked in a junior suite. Good size lounge / dining, but no bath. Actual separate bedroom was a little small with what felt like a small queen bed. The bedroom backed onto the lift hallway and stairway which was noisy at night with 3 lifts operating. As im a light sleeper, After first night we chose to move and had to downgrade as all the junior suites were in the same position, 1 per floor. We were moved to a great room with king bed and bath! However they put us on the north side of the building with a massive air con unit on the building next door! So I gave up and went and got some ear plugs! Staff were very friendly though. I will definitely go back but ask for a room on east or west side away from noise!!

• Stayed January 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Blackman. I am glad to hear that your overall experience at the Blackman was a good one and that our staff were a highlight of your stay. However I was disappointed to learn of the issues you had with noise during your stay, please be assured that your comments will be passed on at our next team meeting. I do hope that we get to see you next time you are in Melbourne.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2010

In summary - a great hotel in a good location but an unpleasant surprise at checkout.

In detail - we stayed at the Blackman while we were in Melbourne visiting relatives for Christmas. We booked two adjoining rooms that share a common alcove and front door so that we, in effect, created a two bedroom apartment for our stay at the hotel.

The rooms were lovely - modern, functional, comfortable. My wife, an art fancier, loved the prints on the walls and the images printed on the glass door of the bathrooms. They lifted the atmosphere and made the place feel just that bit special.

Everything about the place was quality, the furniture and fittings were all great and the service from the staff was top class - at check in, at the bar and at check out and then again when I realised I had left something behind at the room and had to go back for it two days later. I could not fault it.

There were only two things that were not top notch. The internet was terribly slow - important when you are trying to download new iPad applications for a new iPad bought as a Christmas present. Secondly, the 3.5% surcharge on using American Express - I expect a surcharge on a credit card but not this much. I would also expect to be notified of the charge at check in and I wasn't. This last point was a disappointing way to end our stay at an otherwise fantastic hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I was very pleased to hear that you had a great time at The Blackman and that our staff enhanced your experience. We thank you for the constructive feedback regarding the internet and credit card surcharge, we will be sure to pass on your comments at the next staff meeting. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We booked two nights at the Blackman based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and were really pleased. Our studio suite (with balcony) was new and spotlessly clean with great views of the city. The bed was enormous and it had a kitchenette which meant we could have dinner in one night (take away food) easily with everything you could need to make your breakfast etc. Staff were good - it was raining and they lent us golf umbrellas which was a great help. The only comment I would make is there isn't a terrible lot of restaurants on the doorstep beyond the hotel's own. That said, we had breakfast at the Depot de Pain and it was very good (but pricey). You need to get a tram to get into the CBD or St Kilda (we thought it was in St Kilda itself but not so). So if you're happy to take a tram to get anywhere - we'd recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ben_Ezard, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to hear that you took adavantage of or kitchenette facilities which are in every room. I am also pleased to know that the staff were helpful during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman very soon.

Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Great room. Service very good - they swapped our room very quickly without fuss. Beds very comfortable. The doonas are a bit hot but they also have blankets to use. Very stylish and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at The Blackman. I am thrilled to hear that you would recommend The Blackman and had a great time while you were with us. We look forward to seeing you next time you visit Melbourne.

Mooroolbark
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My wife and I decided to be a tourist in our own city. We wanted somewhere close to Melbourne's CBD, St Kilda's beach, The Dockland precinct and Carlton's classic Lygon Street. We settled for the Blackman one of Melbourne's newest 5 star hotels. What a find. Centrally located on St Kilda Road minutes from Albert Park Lake and Fawkner Park and right next to the tram stop. Anywhere you wanted to go in minutes....fantastic.

We had a deluxe suite which was beautifully appointed with a kitchenette and for once a hotel that has a real refigerator and freezer. The two burner stove top and microwave means you can be self sufficient if you need to be. The hotel has a great restuarant and the Depot de pain is great for breakfast, coffee or cake and of couse great bread.

You absolutely must hire the hotel's e-bikes. These brilliant electric bikes allow you to travel up to 50km in distance and have a speed of up to 33 kph. They are easy to ride and heaps of fun. We took them on th bike tracks around Albert Park Lake, along the St Kilda foreshore to Beacon Cove, then back to Elwood, back to Melbourne's Botanical gardens and then to the hotel with still enough battery power to go further. Forget the car, hire an e-bike it will be the best value you can spend your money on and HEAPS of fun. I know what I have on my Christmas list!!

Cheers Joseph - Mooroolbark

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Joseph, Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. It is really great to hear of the wonderful time you had on the e-bikes, They are proving to be very popular. We hope that next time you need a weekend away we get the opportunity to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 8 nights in November 2010, the hotel is very modern and the rooms are very nice. Our room had a huge terrace with a great view of the park and st kilda. The bathroom only had a shower but was very high quality. I loved this hotel and would certainly stay again. In the loddy you have a breakfast place which does fantastic flat white coffee and the Itallian restaurant opposite does the best gnocci. I would highly reccommend the hotel, the staff are great, and you can hire a smart car or bikes form the hotel which is a really fun idea. You can also use the swimming pool at the cullen which is great if the weather holds in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Blackman. I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful time here, we are very lucky to have the two great restaurants in our hotel. It is a great feeling to know that our staff enhanced your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back at The Blackman soon.