“Twin share happiness!”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #13 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed four nights here with a friend in a twin share room 404. The room was comfortable for two people and we appreciated the ability to get fresh air into the room via the balcony doors. The daily servicing was very basic, they left the room as is (no tidying, removing papers etc) but changed the linen and towels. Twice in four days the kitchen and mini bar amenities were not refreshed. A quick call to reception rectified the matter but in a 5 star hotel, should you have to call?? Those basic things make the difference - no one wants to feel like just because they aren't in the penthouse or a larger suite they just get basic service.

The ladies on front desk were friendly and very helpful with trams and getting around, the men were more business like and didn't go out of there way as much as the ladies did. The hotel is handily right across from a tram stop and we were able to get everywhere we wanted on the trams quick and easy.

The beds and pillows - amazing. The mini bar prices are not sky high but reasonable. Room service was super quick but uninspiring food (better off visiting the cafe or restaurant downstairs) plus had a $5 order charge on top. The artwork and atmosphere create a fantastic vibe that will keep many visitors coming back for more.

Room Tip: The rooms facing east get the sunrise but windows have roller blinds and curtains.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback Dannielle, following your recent stay at The Blackman. I apologise for the housekeeping issue that you experienced during your stay - you are most correct that you should not have to call - but I am glad that our staff were able to rectify the issue promptly. Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you received from our front office ladies. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our "fantastic vibe" and hope to welcome you back to The Blackman soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Blackman for 1 night in July between going from Mt Buller through to the GOR.

Arrival -
Hard to find a park outside the hotel but we were lucky, check it was quick and easy. The staff were very friendly.
The car park has a very low roof!

Room -
We booked the basic “Studio Suite Balcony”, fairly large room than we have experience before in Melbourne (comparing between the Oaks on Collins - Studio). Large comfy bed, small kitchen and modern bathroom. Plus this room came with a small private balcony with some great views, was a little to cold to hang out too much on it!

Food -
We have room service dinner which was excellent! We had a pizza and chips and Dessert - chocolate mousse and a lemon tart. (yummm!)

Location -
I really love the location, it isnt within the city (more on the outskirts) but still easy to walk into the city. You can also catch a tram but wouldnt suggest it if you are there for a short time as tram fares are expensive)

Staff Worth Special mention -
Phoebe who worked at the front desk and checked us in. She was very friendly and was able to suggest some awesome restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel

General Summary -
Greta location + friendly staff = wins mega points from us!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Samantha, for the feedback you provided following your stay at The Blackman. I was very happy to receive your wonderful comments. I have passed your feedback on to the team (especially Phoebe) and am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We a beautiful 2 night stay at The Blackman. So quiet! So comfortable! The bakery downstairs serves an awesome breakfast! The only concern we had was that we had booked a kingsize bed and they upgraded us to a bigger room with a magnificent view but a queen bed. They forgot to tell us! Just wish we had a choice! Also, be prepared to pay for the parking. The quiet and comfy compo ant definitely win us over though and the complimentary bottle of champagne! :-) Also, they are affiliated with the entertainment book.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if available then ask if you got one and see what the difference is. We were in t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feeback following your recent stay at The Blackman. I apologise for the error that was made regarding your upgrade - this was a mistake on our part. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the champagne and thank you for your lovely comments about your breakfast at Depot De Pain. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This time we booked a suite , 1509. Which I recommended as the views are great. Large room with kitchen, coffee machine, separate bedroom. Separate bathroom with spa.

The staff are very prompt no matter the issue. As we had booked this time to watch the football, the TV was cutting out terribly for the first half. They did have a look into it but really it was the terrible wind we had so not much to be done about it. They followed up with a call. Great people. I also mentioned to them the boys above who were urinating off their balcony which nearly hit me lol(as there are 2
more floors above) and they were prompt to put them in order :)

Great coffee downstairs and rooms very comfy. Recommended once more. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank aknavi

Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your recent stay at The Blackman. We were very happy to hear your comments regarding the attentiveness of our staff. I sincerely apologise for the "balcony issue" that you experienced but thank you for your humour. Please be reassured that we do make all efforts to ensure our guests safety. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman (on a higher floor with no balconies above).

Reviewed September 27, 2013

In August I stayed at The Blackmans sister hotel, The Cullen and the stay was marred with a few problems. Having read that The Blackman was the last of the art series hotels to be completed I thought I would give it a try in the hope that maybe they now had the 'formula' correct. I was not disappointed ... My room was quiet, well appointed and very clean. A request to have a light globe changed was welcomed by the staff and attended to quickly. There was a slight mix up with a food charge being added to my account in error but this was investigated and quickly rectified by the male staff member at reception. The Classico bar and Resturant on site are busy most nights but the food and service I received were good. Highly recommend staying at The Blackman and it will be my first choice in the future as I visit Melbourne regularly for work.

Room Tip: Request a room up on the higher levels
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank hunterkiwi
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your stay in September. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that The Blackman is now your first choice for accommodation in Melbourne. I have passed your positive comments about the food and service you received on to the restaurant staff. We looking forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I normally stay at the Prince Hotel when I am in Melbourne, but unfortunately they were full and I therefore had to look for an alternative. The Blackman turned out to be an excellent alternative and will actually now become my first choice for Melbourne! The room was spacious and even had a mini kitchen area included. The mini bar / snacks were very thoughtful and not outrageously priced. Bathrooms are tiny (would have liked a little bigger and a bath), but it was functional, great shower and clean. The amenities although great smelling are really painful to get out of the containers - would definitely look at the packaging. I ate at both restaurants and both were really good - the cafe for breakfast also very good. I had room service really late one night and that was average. If there was an improvement I would suggest is that at all times when going to my room there was always room service trays outside many room doors, some being there for at least 18 hours and newspapers had been delivered in the meantime - I really found this to be a bit slack and do think staff should make an effort to check the floors and clear things away. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and its in a great location with helpful front desk staff and pleasant restaurant staff as well.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

I was very happy to read that The Blackman is now your first choice for Melbourne accommodation so thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to provide us with your room preferences on your next stay (eg: bath). Thank you for your lovely words about our front office and restaurant staff - I have passed these on to the team. Please accept my apologies that your room service did not meet expectations and thank you for bringing the room service tray issue to my attention - I have discussed this with all relevant parties. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed for one night at the Blackman at the end of a one month trip to SE Asia. The hotel is delightlful, quirky and theatrical. We arrived early and we could have had a room straight away but were urged to wait and we could have a "nicer" room. We waited and it was a gorgeous room on the 15th floor with great views of the park and out to Port Phillip bay. The room was very well appointed and of course the Blackman art is the focal point. Unfortunately during the night I was taken ill, necessitating a visit to the nearby Alfred hospital (5 star service also!) The staff at the blackman assisted me and my husband in such a kind and supportive way and turned what could have been a very difficult situation in to one that was manageable. My only regret is that I did not get a full night's sleep in the supremely comfortable bed. Thanks to all at the Blackman, we unreservedly recommend your fine establishment and we will not hesitate to stay again

Room Tip: our room on the 15th floor was quiet and we had a great view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Gloria for taking the time to review our property. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Blackman, even though you experienced some difficulty during your stay. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a memorable customer service experience, so your lovely words about the service and assistance your received from our front office team is wonderful. The comments we receive about our 'supremely comfortable beds' are a common theme amoung our guests - and as we do sell our beds - if you ever wanted to take a piece of The Blackman home with you, then do not hesitate to contact me. We very much look forward to having you back at The Blackman soon.