“WOW”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #17 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Super impressed this hotel is amazing. The staff were great, the Italian restaurant downstairs amazing. But WOW those rooms! If anyone is after inspiration for their apartment décor they need to check this place out, every detail has been obviously carefully considered and executed to the upmost levels of perfection. From the bench tops to the toiletries. Worth staying outside of the city to experience this hotel. The room has everything you could possibly need for a short or long stay with full kitchenette and a small lounge area to relax in. I don't think I've ever had a more comfortable nights sleep either. there is a tram stop some 50m away which will have you transported to the city in minutes passing the gardens and casino. This will not be the last time I stay at the Blackman. Absolute perfection.

Room Tip: I am sure any room would be amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Kimmy W, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Ches,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback! We are continuously striving for excellence, so I’m very pleased to hear that you had a flawless stay with us. I’m thrilled to read that you enjoyed our quirky and modern décor and found our rooms to fit your needs. Thank you for your mention of our staff, restaurant, and beds as well as your encouraging room tip. We just love to hear such positive feedback and have shared your comments with all departments.

We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon!

Assistant Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed (as couple) in the Blackman Series for a weekend and found it was perfect and reasonably priced. Great location, well appointed room with great views over Albert Park Lake. We are frequent visitors to Melbourne CBD from the Country and often stay at high end Hotels. I rate the Blackman high on my list of places to stay in Melbourne. Great little bar downstairs where you can dine also. We will definitely go back to stay and highly recommend others to give it a crack. Be very mindful of the entry to the parking underneath though. First time bit confusing.

Room Tip: Ask for South West Corner Room high level which will give great view over Albert Park Lake.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to recommend The Blackman. I’m delighted to hear that our property is one of your favourites in Melbourne and that you’ve enjoyed our restaurant, rooms, and views! Our guest feedback means the world to us and we’ve shared your response with the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I often stay in Melbourne for business trips and this time at a, for me, new hotel The Blackman. It is definitely not the last time I stay there! My room was a suite and very nicely laid out, lots of space, terrace, kitchen, even with dishwasher and a the best "mini-bar" I have ever seen. It was not "mini" at all - the large fridge was full of all sorts of nice drinks and a large bowl at the kitchen table made sure I wasn't hungry either.
Reception service was super, they even unplugged one of the Apple devises for me to use the charger, as I had forgotten my own. Had a room service pizza - it was great! I will certainly stay again next time - the hotel is even walking distance to the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors for the best view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Kimmy W, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Lene,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The Blackman with your fellow travellers. I’m so happy to hear that our suites fit your needs and that you enjoyed our minibar! We aim to give our guests exceptional customer service, so I’m also quite pleased to read that you found our staff to be “super”! I’ve shared your positive comments with all departments and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Fantastic location lovely room nice views. Very impressive. Check-in was easy, the Scottish girl who welcomed us was very friendly and professional. Brilliant location for walks along the water, St Kilda Beach and the cafe strip in St Kilda and crown casino complex. Ease of travel between scenic sites was so easy. The artworks are a really lovely touch 10/10 thanks. Going back in October.

Room Tip: Higher floors better views and less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and room tip. We just love sharing Charles Blackman’s work with our guests and I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed his pieces throughout the hotel. Thank you for your mention of our location and staff and we look forward to your return visit in October.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The rooms are good and nicely appointed, I found the bathroom and shower to be quite cramped.
I've stayed quite a lot at the sister hotel, The Olsen which is really very good and very accommodating so I was looking forward to trying the Blackman as a different place.
After a great night with work colleagues after a successful day negotiating, we were looking forward to winding down in the bar with a couple of drinks and just recapping on the day.
Sadly, the bar shuts at 11pm and there is no negotiating around this which is just ridiculous for a hotel. There are no bars in the near vicinity so you have to go back out and take a taxi or deal with it. I was told, quite unceromoniously that it was tough respite being a guest and the bar actually wasn't part of the hotel....nice approach!
Being a regular business traveller and always having people with me whether its technical inside people or customers, it's crucial that you can go back to a hotel and know you can grab a drink to wind down, stay up, chat, what ever. In this day and age, to have a hotel close its bar at 11pm is just archaic and short sighted.

The hotel is ok, it's not in a great location as you need a taxi to most good eating places so its hard to justify the high bar and eating prices despite the favourable company rates.

Sadly, I won't be staying here again because quite simply, I don't need a hotel dictating my bedtime routine.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback Jonathan and thank you for your support of The Blackman and Olsen hotels. I'm disappointed that we have not lived up to your expectations. As someone who travels on a semi-frequent basis, I certainly do appreciate the benefit of having a late night bar in a hotel. On this occasion we could have better explained the relationship between the restaurant outlets and the hotel. Although they are managed separately we do work closely together and feel that this works well in most cases. Classico Restaurant is only licensed until 11pm and has previously had difficulties obtaining a later liquor license due to our residential location in Melbourne. From the hotels point of view we would like to see this increased to 1am for the benefit of our guests. I would encourage you to continue to use our sister hotel; The Olsen, who are very well regarded and do have Spoonbill Restaurant that closes at 1am. Thank you once again for your honesty.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic location, stunning views and modern bedroom and bathroom. Very impressive. Check-in was easy, the American girl who welcomed us was very personable, friendly and professional. Brilliant location for walks along the water, St Kilda Beach and the cafe strip in St Kilda. The artworks are a really lovely touch and standout feature. The croissants downstairs in the cafe were delicious. We'll definitely be back. Only area for improvement was the lack of info as to how we accessed our car (parking is $25/day) I had to ask another girl twice whether we needed an access card to get in and out and prompt her for more details, guests shouldn't have to do that. Small detail though.

• Stayed: August 2013

Jasmine,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! I’m thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our views to be “stunning” and our rooms to be well-appointed.

Our guest feedback is incredibly important to us, so thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with both your positive and constructive comments. We most definitely should have explained our parking situation in better detail, so thank you for brining that to our attention!

We’ve shared your comments with the restaurants and reception and we all hope to welcome you back to The Blackman soon!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel with exceptional staff. Rooms with very clean with the best beds and pillows. Luxury all round. It was nice to return late to the hotel and be greeted by the friendly night manager Paul Moylan who was happy to organise anything we needed. Nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: My room was an open twin share room (both queen beds) which was very spacious
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Jenine,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback! We strive to provide outstanding guest service and I’m delighted to hear that you found our staff to be “exceptional”. I’ve shared your comments with Paul and the entire team and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Assistant Guest Experience Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Parkville
Southbank
The Langham, Melbourne
The Langham, Melbourne
#5 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!