“Well worth it!”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #12 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Made a late booking for an overnight stay through Hotel Club. Had found the hotel through having breakfast at the French cafe below over the previous weekend and it looked interesting enough to stay in my head for the next trip up to Melbourne. Didn't relaise it would be in such a short space of time but I am very happy we did. The hotel is interesting and charming right down to the internals of the elevator with colourful prints of artwork on display. The reception staff upon arrival were extremely welcoming and efficient and were more than willing to offer me a change of floors when I mentioned my aversion to elevators. Great value for the room quality and we had the added bonus of a full terrace as well as the balcony - if only the weather was up for it! Dinner at Classico downstairs was top notch with friendly and efficient staff in a relaxed yet lively atmosphere. An extra bonus was not having to go hunting for a restruant still open and happy to serve at a late hour. Being able to get a take away cuppacino and warm pastry from the lovely FLEUR Depot de Pain french patisserie downstairs the following morning and sit up in bed enjoying it with the winter sun streaming in through the shades was the icing on the cake! Will definitely be visiting again! Easy drive from this location down to the Great Ocean rd as you are just aroudn the corner from the Princess Hwy and West Gate Bridge.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kimmy W, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As a team, we strive to provide outstanding customer service, and I’m delighted to hear that you found our reception and restaurant staff to be so accommodating. We’ve shared your encouraging comments with the Front Desk as well as Depot de Pain and Classico. We hope to welcome you back to The Blackman again soon- hopefully for a longer and sunnier visit!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed at the Blackman for 2 nights recently. This is a well appointed hotel where most of the internal space is covered with reproductions of Charles Blackmans iconic paintings and imagery. The hotel room has a small kitchenette, balconies with a great view, and are reasonably spacious. The only negative is the bathroom is very small – definitely a space for one person at a time.

The only criticism of the hotel is that they could improve their service. I asked for papers and they were never delivered, I could not connect to the paid wifi as the system did not recognise my name or room number. The staff in both the onsite restaurant and café were a somewhat lazy – they were not particularly interested in being helpful, clearing the tables, or providing a menu. I overheard other patrons in the café making comments about the poor service. Although when they finally did attend to these matters the food was good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Itchyfeetagain2
Kimmy W, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We genuinely appreciate our guests’ feedback as we are constantly seeking means of improvement for our hotel operations.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the ambiance and artwork of the hotel as well as the set-up of your room. I was however very disappointed to read you that you felt that the staff service fell short of your expectations. We’ve used your review as a training topic for our employees and have passed your comments on to both restaurants. If you return, (which I hope that you do!), please contact me prior to your arrival and I’ll ensure that your stay is well looked after.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to The Blackman soon!

03 9039 1444

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am writing this after having only stayed one night at the Blackman and I would usually not write a review until after a repeat visit but the hotel and staff impressed me so much I felt I should review it straight away. Firstly, although it is on the other side of the CBD from the airport the cab fare from the airport was the same as a cab fare into the main hotels in the CBD. It is just off St KIlda Rd on Arthur St and only a minutes walk to a tram stop. It takes no more than 10 minutes to get to Southbank on the tram. The desk staff were very welcoming and efficient. I had booked a basic suite but I was upgraded to a larger suite. It was on the 8th floor and faced Arthur St and had a balcony with a lovely view over Albert Park and out to Port Phillip Bay. The living space was large, the sleeping area not so large but perfectly adequate and the bed was sublimely comfortable. There is a very serviceable kitchenette which included a decent sized fridge, hotplates and a microwave/grill oven. The choice of products, either included or to purchase, were all first class, e.g. T2 teas, Byron Bay cookies, Swisse vitamins etc, plus a well stocked bar range. I liked the extra touches like the various art books available to peruse in the room and loved the Charles Blackman art works on the wall. The etched glass door and wall of the bathroom were a particular favourite touch. Although it was a busy Saturday night the room was very sound proof and I heard no traffic noise and very little noise from within the hotel. The blind and curtains on the window completely black out the light and I woke at 10am on Sunday morning thinking it was still night.
There is an excellent coffee shop next to the foyer, which serves both locals and hotel guests a great breakfast. I liked The Blackman very much and look forward to my repeat visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Kimmy W, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Wow! Thank you very much for your “excellent” review! We strive to give our guests a unique and memorable experience and we’re thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your mention of our Front Desk staff and our French bakery, Depot de Pain as well as your feedback on the suite, amenities, and location. We just love to hear such positive feedback and have passed your review on to the entire staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent 4 nights in a suite, the room was delightful and had a lovely balcony and great views - housekeeping a bit iffy. We were with a large group and we found the reservations staff, Chey, extremely helpful and friendly. Absolutely loved all the artwork around, really fun. Breakfast was excellent, although slow but this was due to so many of us rugby fans at one time so totally understandable. We had supper and a lunch in the Italian and both were great. There are only a couple of cons, the bar closed far too early when you have a large group and the reception area was a tad small. Overall, excellent.

Room Tip: Junior suite with view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your “lovely” review! We appreciate your positive comments and your mention of our group reservations guru, Chey. We genuinely value both your constructive and encouraging remarks and have shared your feedback with the team. We hope to welcome you back to The Blackman the next time that you’re in Melbourne!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had two nights at the Blackman. I was a bit concerned about staying so far out of Melbourne - I need not of worried. Lots of trams in both directions and easy car access. The rooms were very good, plenty of space. Cafes in the foyer were good. Checking was good . Car parking was convenient, although it cost $25 per day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Pat,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. We’re delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our location to be convenient! We genuinely appreciate your comments and we hope to welcome you back to The Blackman soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a repeat review and about the 4th time I've stayed here.

It's always tough when going to Melbourne whether to stay here, because I really like it, or whether to stay at one of the Hyatt's where I am part of the guest program and my work gets a discount. I split it 50-50 if on business, but always opt to stay here if on leisure (and will be doing so later this month).

It really is a delightful hotel; impeccably clean; very comfortable rooms; great mini-bar (especially the giant freckles!); fantastic coffee shop; nice restaurant; well-located right on the tram line into the city; and some lovely 'added extra' touches.

If you don't like big hotel 5-star 'sameness' and stuffiness, but want something a bit special, definitely stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property! We definitely strive to create a unique environment, and we’re thrilled to hear such positive feedback.

Since you are a repeat guest of ours, I’d recommend that you join our Priority Guest Rewards program. The program allows you to earn points while staying at any Rydges or Art Series Hotels, which add up to free nights at our properties. The program also gives you valuable discounts such as, 10% off the best available rate online, 20% off lunch and dinner in our Classico restaurant, 50% off internet charges, a welcome drink, and a late check out! Please contact me if you’d like further information on the program.

Once again, thank you so much for your fantastic feedback and we look forward to your 5th visit with us!

03 9039 1444

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Although a bit of a way out from the CBD (but easily accessible by tram), this hotel exceeded my expectations. The rooms, albeit a little on the small side made great use of the space.
Really good decor, layout and furnishings. Mini Bar prices were reasonable.
Mattress was exceptionally comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Kimmy W, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We’re delighted to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations and that you found our bed to be incredibly comfortable!

We love to hear such positive feedback and have shared your comments with the team. We hope to welcome you back to The Blackman the next time you’re in Melbourne!