WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Art Series - The Blackman

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #17 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A good, stylish and comfortable out of city hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

About ten minutes outside of the centre of Melbourne by tram, just off the St Kilda Road, this stylish hotel made a very comfortable base for our stay in Melbourne. Really helpful staff made our stay even better! The room we had was very comfortable, with great views from the 12th floor! Styled on a self-contained suite basis the room had all you could need as a visitor and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Clean, modern and stylish the room was 'themed' with paintings by Charles Blackman. We had breakfast each day in the adjoining Italian style restaurant - very good food. We also chose to eat here on two evenings because the food and the atmosphere were great. Just make sure you ask at reception for advice about using the tram system - it is essential if you choose to stay in this hotel and for a first time visitor to Melbourne not too user friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
It really sounds like you had a wonderful time here, whilst staying with us at the Blackman.
Thank you for taking the time to write and let everyone know about your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Melbourne.
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Greek first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Have stayed here 4 or 5 times over the last couple of years and mostly it is good. As per other comments the beds are very comfortable as are the pillows. We usually travel as a family and the twin rooms with a queen bed on each side of the bathroom works well for us. I think they are the rooms ending in 04 ie 804/904 etc. I quite like the rooms they do have a feeling of luxury and are well maintained. The area for sitting is a little small.

The things that did bother me a bit on our last visit was the variety of attitudes at the service counter. Sometimes you get a person who is very helpful and nice and other times they don't seem to care. The system doesn't seem to note any notes you may have made when you booked - which can be quite frustrating to have to ask again. The other thing i find a bit rich is the amount you are charged for parking. $25/night to me is way too expensive especially when they also rent out car places to local business people for $14 /day. Sometimes the parking is quite full which makes it tricky to find a park. Our stay for 3 nights ended up being $666 which exceeds what i like to pay for 3 nights away from the CBD area.

Room Tip: The twin rooms with the bathroom in the middle are good for families 804/904 etc.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Scott_Fiona_Anjali
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us.
We love to hear all feedback - both positive and negative. All comments have been noted and will be discussed further at our next staff meeting.
We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here as a single business traveller for 2 nights. The room was rather odd in that it had a full kitchenette within it which made it feel a bit like a student bed sit.
The bathroom was very small but as another reviewer has pointed out the bed was extremely comfortable.
The breakfast shop beside the reception was OK but I wouldnt put it better than that.
I did emjoy the art they have dotted around the place including the rooms, but all in all its nothing special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us.
There were both positive and negative feedback in your review, of which we appreciate hearing all comments.
We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not in the centre of Melbourne so if you need to be in the CBD it might not be convenient. If you prefer to stay somewhere quiet, but close enough to Toorak than its a good option. The rooms are modern and stylish, very clean with nice touches including a kitchenette. Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are clean and modern.... Make sure to read the bottles of your toiletries for light entertainment. Overall I would recommend it, it's not of 5 star standard but it's got a nice Melbourne style to it.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the great review you have written.
It sounds like you enjoyed yourself here at the Blackman.
The toilities are a new product that we are using - a little bit different! I am pleased you have made a comment on them. I will pass this on.
Hopefully we will see you again when next in Melbourne.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at the Blackman for 8 days and enjoyed the experience very much. I choose a studio suite with a balcony and was give a corner room with a view of the water. The corner room proved to be much nicer than some of the photos I have seen of the interior suites. The staff was very friendly but I wouldn't say that they provided "5 star" service. The hotel itself is fun, everything is artistic and themed. I found it to be one of the cleanliest hotels I have ever visited. The location is good but not with in walking distance to very much, though, there is a trolley stop near by. I would stay at the Blackman again and I would recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I am pleased to read that you had a great time whilst staying here at the hotel.
I agree - the corner rooms have the most amazing view. They are my favourite rooms as well.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Blackman for one night which we booked through Hotel Club. We had a studio apartment with a balcony, partially overlooking the river. I must say I didn't expect it to be such a treat! The views were fantastic, service was friendly but proffessional and quick. I had the best sleep since months. Room and bathroom were clean and ready for us. I think the only complaint is that we had to pay 25 dollars for parking at sight. If I knew we would have been charged for it, I would have probably just parked down the road where I work....
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to family and friends and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
It is lovely to read that you had a wonderful stay here at the Blackman. Thank you for letting us know.
We look forward to seeing you again when you have your next night out in town!
Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Wanting a night out in my home town and we couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay than the Blackman. Great location for any activity from a morning stroll around Albert Park lake to whatever evening entertainment you want in St Kilda just a quick tram ride away. We asked for a room with a bath and the staff provided us with a great room on the 16th floor. We also asked for the late checkout (till 4pm) which was a wonderful way to stretch out that weekend a little bit longer and good value. Very comfy beds and quirky mini-bar. This is value for money for the luxury end of hotels in Melbourne. I have stayed at all 3 art series hotels and they are full of personality and style for those that just done want the bland hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hula-girl2011
Dear Guest,
I am glad we could accommdate you with a Late Checkout, to extend the night's stay for you.
Have you heard about Overstay You're Welcome -
Experience the world's latest checkout!!!!
Check it out, for next time!
We look forward to seeing you here again soon.