“Satisfactory hotel without much to recommend it”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #12 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here as a single business traveller for 2 nights. The room was rather odd in that it had a full kitchenette within it which made it feel a bit like a student bed sit.
The bathroom was very small but as another reviewer has pointed out the bed was extremely comfortable.
The breakfast shop beside the reception was OK but I wouldnt put it better than that.
I did emjoy the art they have dotted around the place including the rooms, but all in all its nothing special.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us.
There were both positive and negative feedback in your review, of which we appreciate hearing all comments.
We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Art Series - The Blackman

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not in the centre of Melbourne so if you need to be in the CBD it might not be convenient. If you prefer to stay somewhere quiet, but close enough to Toorak than its a good option. The rooms are modern and stylish, very clean with nice touches including a kitchenette. Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are clean and modern.... Make sure to read the bottles of your toiletries for light entertainment. Overall I would recommend it, it's not of 5 star standard but it's got a nice Melbourne style to it.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the great review you have written.
It sounds like you enjoyed yourself here at the Blackman.
The toilities are a new product that we are using - a little bit different! I am pleased you have made a comment on them. I will pass this on.
Hopefully we will see you again when next in Melbourne.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at the Blackman for 8 days and enjoyed the experience very much. I choose a studio suite with a balcony and was give a corner room with a view of the water. The corner room proved to be much nicer than some of the photos I have seen of the interior suites. The staff was very friendly but I wouldn't say that they provided "5 star" service. The hotel itself is fun, everything is artistic and themed. I found it to be one of the cleanliest hotels I have ever visited. The location is good but not with in walking distance to very much, though, there is a trolley stop near by. I would stay at the Blackman again and I would recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
I am pleased to read that you had a great time whilst staying here at the hotel.
I agree - the corner rooms have the most amazing view. They are my favourite rooms as well.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Blackman for one night which we booked through Hotel Club. We had a studio apartment with a balcony, partially overlooking the river. I must say I didn't expect it to be such a treat! The views were fantastic, service was friendly but proffessional and quick. I had the best sleep since months. Room and bathroom were clean and ready for us. I think the only complaint is that we had to pay 25 dollars for parking at sight. If I knew we would have been charged for it, I would have probably just parked down the road where I work....
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to family and friends and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
It is lovely to read that you had a wonderful stay here at the Blackman. Thank you for letting us know.
We look forward to seeing you again when you have your next night out in town!
Regards,

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Wanting a night out in my home town and we couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay than the Blackman. Great location for any activity from a morning stroll around Albert Park lake to whatever evening entertainment you want in St Kilda just a quick tram ride away. We asked for a room with a bath and the staff provided us with a great room on the 16th floor. We also asked for the late checkout (till 4pm) which was a wonderful way to stretch out that weekend a little bit longer and good value. Very comfy beds and quirky mini-bar. This is value for money for the luxury end of hotels in Melbourne. I have stayed at all 3 art series hotels and they are full of personality and style for those that just done want the bland hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hula-girl2011

Dear Guest,
I am glad we could accommdate you with a Late Checkout, to extend the night's stay for you.
Have you heard about Overstay You're Welcome -
Experience the world's latest checkout!!!!
Check it out, for next time!
We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stay at the Blackman hotel whenever I'm in Melbourne for business. It's well designed, located close to the city and has a good restaurant downstairs to have dinner if you need something quick, simple & good. Themed on the artist, the rooms have beautiful interiors with prints & books.

The nice kirks - a paint set for those who want to take out their creative frustrations at the end of a busy work day. Haven't made use of one yet, though it is tempting. I also am a big fan of their mini bar selection. Yes, I will have a giant freckle. The beds are amazing - even better than the Westin's 'Heavenly Beds'.

Where it let's itself down is the service (why do they never have enough people at the desk at key check-in & check-out times?) and lack of solid breakfast options.

Room Tip: Sign up for their loyalty program if you're a regular traveller. I haven't and my rooms ten...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your recent stay at the Blackman.
I am pleased that you enjoyed all the 'quirky bits" of the hotel. It is certainly a pleasant change.
I will pass on your comments to management in regards to the lack of staff over peak times. We do try and roster accordingly to demand.
Both restaurants are open daily for breakfast. Depot de pain, is very casual, offering a quick option for breakfast, however, Classico, offers a full breakfast menu, with a large variety of dishes.
I do hope that you will choose the Blackman again to stay, when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Going to sleep and waking up to Charles Blackman art-what a treat! The very comfortable queen size bed faces the spacious balcony that has a view of the park and lake on the right side. Modern, vibrant room decor with kitchen facilities, sofa, table for 3, working desk. The bathroom was smaller than usual but it was clean, well-stocked and worked perfectly. It's a tram ride to the city but I don't mind going home to this beautiful hotel. I just wish they had a later free shuttle to the city and not just the one 8am.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
We are very pleased to hear it was a treat!!
Your comments are very positive, We love to hear this.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Melbourne.