“Great hotel”

Ranked #13 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Bristol, England
“Great hotel”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently stayed at the Blackman during our trip to Melbourne. Good location on the tram line into the centre. Very modern hotel with all the facilities expected of a Art hotel. We stayed in a gorgeous apartment room which was large and well equipped. The bed was large and comfortable. Can't really fault this hotel other than sometimes style took over from functionality especially in the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
What a Great review!!!! Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your stay. We are very pleased that you choose the Blackman for your accommodation whilst staying in Melbourne, and hope that we will see you again when you are back again.
Your comments in regards to the bathrooms and their functionality, have certainly been noted, and will be passed on to our management team.
Kindest regards,
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Greek first
Hobart
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We loved the smart decor and comfortable amenities in our room. Although we only booked the least expensive room, a studio, it had lots of space. The whole hotel was full of Blackman paintings and there were art books for us to browse in the room and lobby. The TV had an informative video about Charles Blackman and his work. Lovely patisserie and a good Italian restaurant but be sure to book a table in the latter as we were disappointed. Tram to at the end of the street was most convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Haylee J, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing this wonderful review from your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you had a great experience.
We are very honoured to have our hotel named after the famous australian artist, Charles Blackman, and to have his works throughout the building.
We do look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Was given a night for my 50th birthday present by my mum.
Arrived at 3.15pm and Room wasn't ready even though was told we could check in at 2.
Asked if there was hotel parking and directed to car park under hotel. The following morning got a bill under my door for $25 there was no mention at check in of cost.
Asked at check in if we had a nice room and was told it was great. Got to room and opened door. The bed was 1 foot from the door and the bathroom was one foot from the bed.
You couldn't fit 2 people in the bathroom at the same time. The towel rail was loose at the bottom and towels were shabby.
Breakfast which was included in package was very limited and i was charged for an extra coffee.
Under my door the next morning I got a receipt for the room even though it had been specified it was a present and receipt should be posted to my mum.
Told the concierge at check out I wasn't very happy with a few things but he didn't seem to care and said put in an email.
A week later I spoke to Amy the customer service liaison, told her of the above issues and she said she would get back to me.
Two weeks later I hadn't heard and called her back. ( some excuse about being away)
She apologized and said she would take the constructive criticism but didn't offer anything not even 'let me offer you 20% off your next stay' or 'let me refund your parking cost'.
I told her I wasn't impressed and she said I could speak to the manager. I said great get him to call me. That was 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything!
The room cost over $300 for the night with parking, they say it's a 5 star hotel and I asked why someone didn't take my bags up or offer to bring them down and their answer is ' we are a boutique hotel you need to request these things!
This is the worst 5 star hotel I have stayed in in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Check room first and if not happy ask for a larger one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lissa F
Haylee J, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Lisa,
Thank you very much for taking my call yesterday.
It was lovely to speak to you in regards to your experience while staying at the Blackman.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Lee Davey
Hotel General Manager
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

An absolutely Lovely hotel, super comfortable bed with a big fat latex topper, luxury high thread count sheets and bath robes. There were also great extra touches like T2 tea, an affordable mini bar and a TV in the bedroom and living room. The Art works throughout the hotel are amazing and the little rabbits hiding around the hotel are super cute, only disappointment was that there were out of the little mirrored rabbits for sale.

Dear Guest,
This is a fabulous review. We love reading these wonderful comments, about guests thoroughly enjoying themselves, whilst staying with us at the Blackman. You made a great choice of hotel to stay at!
We can certainly arrange to have a bunny mirror sent to you. Please contact me direct at the hotel - julie_dale@artserieshotels.com.au, to make arrangements.
We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in Melbourne.
Warm wishes,
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband & I had the pleasure of staying overnight in the Skipping Girl Suite as it was close to the venue for a concert we were attending (MUMford & Sons...Brilliant!). The room was magnificent with a view of Albert Park Lake, and a ripper coffee machine...I love coffee.

Most comfortable bed (and I am fussy), plenty of room to spread out and the restaurants downstairs were great. I loved it!!!

Room Tip: Views of the lake are spectacular.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Haylee J, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
It really sounds like you had the most fabulous time, whilst in Melbourne and while staying here with us at the Blackman.
It is lovely to read your wonderful review- Thank you.
We do look forward to seeing you back here again soon.
gold coast
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Nice place to stay. Very different to mainstream hotel. Some funky little features which were good but not sure about the Art around the room.some of it was weird but then I am no art critique. Breakfast in Classico very nice and coffee was wonderful.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review from your stay with us here at the Blackman.
You sound like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself and the accommodation, of which i am pleased to read.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you are next in Melbourne.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have stayed at The Blackman many times and I will continue to return. Firstly the staff at the front desk are exceptional-friendly, professional & extremely helpful. Entering the hotel you are offered the choice of two places to eat and entertain friends or business associates. The Depot de Pain, is open for breakfast and lunch and serves light meals and pastries. The staff are attentive and welcome return guests like friends. The Classico is open for lunch and dinner. Whilst the food is delicious, the staff are lazy with attitudes.Totally different to all the staff in all other ares of the hotel! My room of choice is the twin room, the beds are separated by the bathroom. This will not appeal to someone who likes to have a bath as it does not have one- that is it's only drawback. Both beds have their own TV's. The rooms are beautifully decorated and would suit the female guest. The mini bar selection is of good quality and variety. Also the room has it's own iron and board. there is a gym whilst small very adequate but sadly no pool/spa. This hotel is well locate as it is a 2min walk to St Kilda Rd where trams run frequently to the centre of the city, South Yarra, Tennis Centre, MCG, Botannical Gardens, War Memorial, National Museum and Arts Centre. This hotel is also very reasonably priced so look no further.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Wow!!! - what a fantastic review. So lovely to read.
Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your stay here at the Blackman. It sure sounds like you enjoyed yourself, and loved your experience.
Our friendly staff are what makes this hotel. I will certainly pass on your positive comments to both Reception and also Depot de pain.
The twin rooms at the hotel, do have 2 different types of configuration. The rooms with the bedding seperated by the bathroom, only have the walk in shower, however, we have some twin rooms, with the bedding side by side, that have a bathtub.If you would prefer this style, please let us know when you are next staying, and we will do our best to accommodate your request, and pop this in your profile for all visits.
I will speak with Classico management, in regards to your comments about their staff. This is certainly not good to hear.
We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in Melbourne.