“Doesn't cater to women.”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #17 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Oh dear! Not another otherwise fabulous hotel. Wonderful Charles Blackman works. Excellent reception staff (even upgraded me on my first visit), but not so great the restaurant or cleaning staff.
BUT!! This hotel HAS NOT been designed with the woman in mind!
Nowhere to put your clothes in the bathroom apart from on the floor; short length wardrobe - not long enough for longer dresses or coats (and I'm only 5'3"); no full length mirror - how does a woman know how she looks? And the worst thing!!....not enough lighting in either the bedroom or bathroom.....I find this SO annoying in so many otherwise very aesthetically pleasing hotels.....but I'm getting a bit sick of it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank flitzaround
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on your recent stay with us.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed Charles Blackman's art work. We are very honoured to have our hotel named after him. The staff will also be very pleased of your kind words about them, I will be sure to pass this on.
Your comments about the room does not cater for women - the lighting, wardrobe length etc, will also be spoken about at our next staff meeting. This is disappointing to hear.
We do hope that you will stay with us again.
Hotel Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Where do I start? Oh yes, front desk.
I stayed here for a week; left the building at the same time each morning and returned the same time each evening. Did any of the funky, 20-something staff bid me a good day or welcome me back on my return? Not on your life. Too busy clicking on their screens or being hip and trendy. On my last day I jogged up the entrance steps and caught the eye of the young man at reception. I deliberately held his surly gaze to see if I could muster any form of acknowledgment. Nothing. He just looked straight through me. How unacceptably rude.

The rooms - smaller than I expected, somehow crowded and with a tiny bathroom. One would have to move away from the sink to allow exit from the shower. Bed was very comfortable but as it ought to have been. Ultra modern, designer, clear-plastic table and chairs - yuk. Don't slide across the carpet.
Why did I give one star for cleanliness? Lip-mark on wine glass. Tea-towel smelt oily. Bathroom sink not spotlessly clean. I left the tea-towel crumpled and damp in the kitchen sink, by way of a hint. On my return that evening - still there! Yes the sheets and towels were pristine but at 5 stars - everything should be perfect.
Might I suggest that the managers check themselves in to The Langham or Sofitel to see how it ought to be done. "Have a good day, Sir" or "Good evening, Sir. Welcome back to the hotel" costs nothing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Lochia
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on the hotel and I am very concerned by issues you have raised.

As you can see from our past reviews this is certainly not the standard of service we strive to achieve in the hotel and for our guests.

I would like to investigate these claims to ensure our standards are in-line with what we wish to present to our guests.

The General Manager would like to speak with you directly about your stay. If I could request you to either contact the hotel and speak with myself or the General Manager so we can gather some information to assist us in this investigation.

Kind Regards,

Sean Farrow
Front Office Manager

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Just a short overnight stay but was impressed by the decor and feel of the hotel. Could do with more than one receptionist in the early evening or maybe the manager who flitted in and out could have done a bit more than look at the short queue of guests before going back into whatever is behind reception rather than deal with the line up.

The room was very comfortable and lacked nothing except for some more lighting - trying to pack a bag at 6:00 am was not easy as even with every light on it was still a dark room.

However, will go back again for a longer stay when I need to spend some time in Melbourne as it obviously has potential and the location is fine being out of the city but close to trams and good dining.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MEtraveller

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Blackman.
It does sound like you enjoyed the hotel, but some of the comments you have made certainly need to be addressed, and will be passed on to management.
It is not normal practise to only have 1 person working on Reception in busy times.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here 1 night for business. Large, unique, arty room, very modern. 50 inch TV with cable. Well stocked mini bar. Hot Plate, mini kitchen, microwave. Very comfortable bed. Great bathroom. Balcony. If i am nitpicking, the smoke detector with an ever present green led was directly above the bed. Bar was a little pretentious. I enjoyed the bread restaurant for breakfast which was reasonably priced. My new hotel of choice in Melbourne!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the Blackman.
It sounds like you had a brilliant time, and we are very happy that we are now your choice of hotel when you stay in Melbourne.
I will pass on your wonderful comments to the team, and look forward to seeing you back again soon.
Hotel Duty Manager

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for just a couple of nights and wish it was longer. Beautiful modern hotel with its own style. Very comfortable and well appointed rooms. Mini bar and Internet prices were very reasonable which to me is a more respectful way to treat customers. Very friendly and helpful staff, too. My daughter accidentally left her pencil case at the front desk and shortly after we got a call about it and then someone promptly and cheerfully brought it back to us.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review about your recent stay with us at the Blackman. We are all extremely pleased that you had a wonderful stay and thought that the hotel was fabulous.
We do hope that we will see you again, when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We just returned from a weekend in Melbourne, choosing the Blackman in the art series hotels. I am a huge fan of Charles Blackman, particularly his Alice in Wonderland series, so it was the perfect choice. The rooms are beautifully decorated, modern but also a bit homely.

It was our ten year wedding anniversary and great choice of hotel. The staff were very polite and attentive, yet understated. We were also very pleased to find a bottle of bubbles in our room with a lovely note from the hotel. Very nice.

If I was returning to Melbourne I would definitely stay at one of the art series hotels. The others are possibly more centrally located, but I could not fault our experience. The only downside was the weather – quite cold and I wish I packed a few jackets!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyLennox
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Guest,
What a lovely review, and we are extermely pleased that you have taken the time to let us know about your weekend.
The staff will be thrilled that you had a wonderful time here at the hotel and that you chose the Blackman hotel to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary!!!
We do hope to see you again one day soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I enjoyed a one night stay. My accommodation overlooked an office block but this did not matter on a Saturday night, in fact it was nice and quiet!
Receptionist was aloof and did not go the extra mile.
The decor in my spacious room was gorgeous - expect some wow factor for the $ paid.
Next day I walked from accommodation into city. I later read that there was complimentary shuttle but was never advised when I checked in.

Room Tip: If you stay on a Saturday night, ask for room looking out onto office block - I found it quiet