“A most luxurious, relaxing and enjoyable stay”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #12 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Last week I treated myself (solo female) to 3 nights in a Deluxe Studio Suite with balcony at The Blackman hotel. The view of Melbourne CBD from the 15th floor was beautiful both day and night and the large room was well appointed in a contemporary design with funky furniture and visually pleasing artworks. The room was extremely well equipped with necessities such as a good size fridge, microwave and small dishwasher in the kitchen and a bath with spa jets in the bathroom. It was extremely quiet room with a comfortable even temperature (although heating was provided it was not required) and the pull down screen ensured a dark room in the mornings. The King size bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in (even better than mine at home) and the 4 super-sized soft pillows were to die for. I found the dimmers on the light switches near the bed useful as they provided minimal light for trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night without having to switch on bright lights. Every request (no matter how small) was attended to happily by the guest experience and housekeeping staff who also spent time ensuring I knew how to 'work' all equipment. 24hr Internet support also proved handy to set up the laptop for use etc. Despite wintery weather I took one of the Classic Kronan bicycles out each day of my stay. At only $5 per hour the bike was a great way to get around Melbourne as the hotel is situated close to Chapel St., St Kilda and the CBD. The staff at the front desk showed a genuine interest in my daily activities and offered suggestions/maps etc. On my return they always stopped what they were doing and cheerfully came out from behind the desk to ask what I had done that day and I was able to share my experiences of the day with them. The hotel staff became more like friends than staff which when travelling solo is very much appreciated. Classico restaurant and bar was a great intimate venue for a drink and dinner (all Italian) and the small size allowed for friendly interactions between guests and staff. I would like to say a very special thank you to Chanelle, Ben and Mohammed (housekeeping) for their wonderful service and the kindness they displayed towards me (thanks for the hug Chanelle!). I cannot speak highly enough of The Blackman. I had three wonderful nights of luxury, fun and relaxation and I certainly look forward to staying there again on my next holiday to Melbourne. Regards Julie 'the bike rider' :)

Room Tip: Send your request on your room requirements prior to arriving
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Juliethebikerider
Ben_Ezard, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Wow, thank you for such a wonderful review of The Blackman. I must start by saying that we all loved having you around the hotel, we love to hear how our guests day has been and all of the exciting places they have been to, we are genuinely interested and it is a great way for us to learn.
It was fantastic that even in the middle of winter, you were able to make use of the bikes and explore the local area. And the beds, we have been receiving nothing but fantastic comments on the Art Series Signature Bedding. Did you know that they are available for purchase through each of the Art Series Hotels, please feel fre to let us know if you would like more information.

Please be assured that your wonderful comments have been shared with the team and we cannot wait to have you back at The Blackman.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Despite being a little further out than I'm used to, this fantastic hotel is a real point o difference. Great decor, usable kitchenette. Would definitely recommend for business or holiday.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank ropate01
Ben_Ezard, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Blackman. It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed our modern and practical rooms. We feel that our location is a positive, being just on the edge of the city as well as being on the doorstep of places such as St Kilda, Prahran and South Yarra.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman next time you visit Melbourne.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

The Blackman, just off St Kilda Rd is amazing. the artwork is the main statement along with the furniture. It was a fabulous place to stay, instead of the general; sometimes bland hotel environment. The staff were excellent and very helpful. A later than usual checko out of 11am is their standard check out time and the valet parking is very convienient. Their beds are so comfy too! I will be staying at one of the other Art Series' hotel next week, the Olsen in South Yarra. It also looks spectacular. The Art Series hotels are by far my number one choice when staying in the city.

Room Tip: Book online as they sometimes have special deals.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeLoveMelbourne

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review, your feedback is greatly appreciated.
I love that you loved the artwork, after all it is what sets us apart form all the other hotels.

I would have to agree with you on the beds being super comfortable too. Please feel free to let us know if you would like any information about the purchase of our bedding.
I would also like to thank you for wonderful the comments on our staff, service is the most important aspect of the hotel for us and we love hearing that we are getting it right.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Blackman very soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband recently took me here as a special night away from the kids. The view was amazing (17th floor) and the rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated. Staff were very friends and the cafe downstairs was busy but very efficient with great food. Would definitley recommend this hotel to family/friend travelling to Melbourne. The only downside was only being able to stay for one night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Normals

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Blackman. It was very pleasing to learn that you had a great time with us. We love that you would not hesitate to recommend us to your family and friends. we look forward to seeing you back here very soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our family of four (two kids aged 3 & 6) stayed at The Blackman for 3 nights in a Deluxe Studio Suite Twin Balcony room.

We were impressed from the minute we walked in. Check-in was easy, staff were very pleasant and welcoming. The kids loved receiving their special gift upon check-in (and then again later at check-out)!

Staff were apologetic for our room not being ready (we arrived early) & after we returned from quickly grabbing some lunch, we were able to go up to our room.

The rooms were beautiful, modern & featured colourful artwork on the walls. It was also nice to see art books in the room. The kitchenette was well equipped & the fridge was a great size - plenty of room for some drinks/snacks for the kids given the already well stocked section by the hotel. Beds & pillows were comfy and the room size was certainly enough for our family. The bathroom was well stocked with amenities.

My only criticisms would be the bathrooms are a little on the smaller size, there are no luggage stands & there weren't enough hangers in the wardrobe. But to me these are small things & nothing that can't be sorted out over 4 days with a little imagination!

The staff were great & nothing was too much trouble. They were great with the kids & engaged them at every opportunity, which made us feel fantastic that they could be seen & heard (as opposed to seen & not heard!).

Fleur Depot de Pain downstairs is great for breakkie or a coffee, and the room service we received from Classico for dinner was nice.

Traveling on the trams was so easy staying at the Blackman - a stop right across the road & at max. we only had to take two trams to get to where we wanted to go.

We love Melbourne & have visited many times before. We loved The Blackman & would stay again in a heartbeat. It has definitely been one of the best hotels we have stayed at in Melbourne.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for this wonderful review. It was great to hear that your whole family were able to enjoy all that The Blackman has to offer, we love having children around and getting them to contribute to our guest "Art Wall".
I was very pleased to learn that your dealings with staff were all fantastic and that we were able to assist where possible.
Your constructive feedback will be discussed at our next team meeting as we are constantly looking at new ways to improve every guests experience with us.
Thank you once again for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Melbourne.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with my mum and sister. The rooms are spacious and gorgeous. The twin room catered perfectly for two people sleeping separately, as both beds were divided by the en-suite and one bed had the option of pulling a curtain around it. There was also a TV situated at the foot of each bed. The double room was more like a mini suite, with a table and chairs and soft comfy seating also. As with most accommodations in Australia, the rooms also had kitchenettes and in the case of this hotel, as is fitting with its style, they were well equipped and stylish. The en-suites are also spacious and have cool art prints on their glass partitions. The staff are extremely helpful and efficient. The rooms also have reverse cycle air conditioning so we had some much needed heat in our rooms. The beds were the most comfortable we experienced on all our travels around Australia. I managed to get an excellent deal on this hotel so watch our for sites such as expedia for these. We also upgraded to rooms with balconies (which had little bistro tables and chairs on them and would be gorgeous in the summer time), which was well worth the extra money, especially for the double room. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel but there is a small cafe less than a two minute walk from the hotel and it had lovely breakfasts which were reasonably priced. There was a tram stop just across the road too. Very handy! The only downside was that there was no free wireless internet, which I believe should just come as standard, especially in this standard (and price) of hotel but I would recommend the Art Series Blackman to anyone (especially if you get it at the right price!)

Room Tip: Look for good deals on this one, pay a little extra for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for this fantastic and in-depth review on your recent stay at The Blackman. I was very happy to learn that you loved every minute of your stay with us. Our Deluxe twin studio suites are just perfect for families. It is wonderful to hear more fantastic comments on our wonderful bedding.
Thank you once again for this fabtastic review. I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back the next time you visit Australia.
Regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2011

First trip to Melbourne and first trip on my own... to this very cool hotel... hotel staff so friendly and helpful...and really just got better... was totally delghted with my room,.. so much bigger than had anticapted, really cool decor so clean and warm..great bathroom top shower presure...and plus to have balcony ..was a real treat to stay ... i for sure will return soon .

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Ben_Ezard, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Blackman. I was very happy to hear such positive feeback about our spacious and modern rooms. The most pleasing comments were on our helpful and friendly team, we are striving to provide the best possible service to our guests at all times and feedback like this is greatly appreciated. We look forward to your return to Melbourne and hopefully The Blackman in the not to distant future.