“New favourite in Melbourne”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #13 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
sydney
“New favourite in Melbourne”
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I travel to Melbourne a lot for work and have constantly favoured a particular boutique hotel for many reasons, at the same time as missing some of the features one enjoys at a larger hotel. I've finally found an alternative that combines the charm of a local hotel with 24 hour room service, movies on demand and the most comfortable beds and dark rooms one could want. The downstairs bar/restaurant is really nice and not intimidating for a female travelling on her own, the alternative patisserie fine but not my sort of thing. Both had great coffee which is important to me. The location is brilliant - not stuck in the gridlock of the city but easy enough to get to, close to parks and to where I usually do my business. My only complaint is the same as I have in my previous favourite - no little bottles of spirits in the rooms. Maybe spirits aren't trendy these days but I still love a G&T and get disappointed when I can't make one (and don't want to call in room service). A very small thing of course. Overall though there's a good reason this hotel is doing so well. As a final point, I have stayed at the other two in the Art Series and I think this is the best of the three.

1 Thank essdee63
Ben_Ezard, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Blackman. I was very pleased to hear that The Blackman is your new favourite hotel in Melbourne. We feel like we have a great product here with our fantstic modern rooms, great views, great restaurants and our location.
I would also like to thank you for the feedback on the mini bar, this is something that we are constantly reviewing and your comments will definately taken into consideration.
It is wonderful that you have now tried all three Art Series Hotels and of course we always love to hear that ours is your favourite.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.
Ben Ezard, Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Greek first
Sydney
Reviewed May 19, 2011

stayed for a girls wk end away, for 4 days. lovely hotel & great service. The first room we had was a 2x queen double bed room-was lovely & the beds are so comfy, kitchen faculties also dining table, very big room. Great big tele massive balcony. Unfortunately the room we had over looked 2 massive air cons on another building, I am from the bush so the noise annoyed me all night so I could not sleep but my friend is from the suburbia & she slept like a log. Next morning I made a complaint, we were moved to another room promptly with no hassles : ). Room had similar furnishings & a partition wall & bathroom witch separated each bed & we had our big teles & privacy from each other. I loved the second room, loved how we could eat at a table the kitchen is great. Room service was fast & food was nice, prices were great too. 15 min walk to city or quick tram ride. All in all this is great hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Be selective of room if you are noise sensitive
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank dspunkid
Thank you for choosing The Blackman for your girls weekend away. Our twin rooms are a fantastic option for guests such as yourself who are having a girls weekend away. I was sorry to hear about the small issue with your first night, but I was glad to know that we were able to rectify the issue quickly. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman next time you visit Melbourne.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed for four days with a friend in the Twin deluxe suite. The whole place was prestine, the staff friendly and the two eateries there were wonderful. This hotel was recommended by friends that have stayed there and they too had a great time.

The trams are just 50 yards from the front door and its only a few minutes away from the Melbourne and CBD. One feels like they're not caught up with busy city traffic and yet its only minutes away to most popular areas.

Before one wonders off to another resturant try the two resturants at the hotel first. Everything I had there to eat was good and the resutrant staff were great.

Just not too far down the road is Cafe Vue and Rosco's. Want a big scrumtpous feed visit Rosco's. Want French cuisine visit Cafe Vue.

Room Tip: Book on line or by phone.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank losilosivale
Ben_Ezard, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Than you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. At the Blackman we love hearing that our staff were friendly and helpful. I was also very happy to learn of your fantastic experiences in our two eateries, please be assured that your feedback will be passed on at our next team meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman next time you visit Melbourne.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed at The Blackman for a whole week whilst away from work, and all i can say is that they got it so right with this hotel. Everything i could have hoped for it, had. Especially as a female traveller I found all the small things made the differance - the decor was just stunning. The location was perfect being so close to the tram line and made it so easy to get around. Food was amazing, if anything the breakfast menu may have be a little limited, but you also have the option to cook your own with a small kitchenette available for use.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly..can't count the number of people I have recommended this to since staying.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for such a lovely review. I was very pleased to learn of your fantastic week at the Blackman and your thoughts on the decor within the hotel, with our large variety of Charles Blackman prints.
We feel very privileged to have these fantastic pieces all around the Hotel.
I was also glad to hear that you made use of the kitchenette in your room, they are proving to be a great asset to our hotel.
We thank you once again for taking the time to write such a fantastic review and look forward to seeing you back here very soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Impressive building easy to find, greeted by courteous reception staff
Hotel room very clean and large, with quality kitchenette and furnishings
Bed very comfortable but traffic noise from St Kilda Road kept us awake until late at night and made for a "cranky" mood the next day.
Demand a quiet room !!

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing st kilda road
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Blackman.
It is fantastic to hear that you had a great experience with our staff and the hotel overall. However I was disappointed to learn of the noise issues, At the blackman we take these matters seriously and we will look at ways to solve this problem at our next team meeting.
Kind Regards,

Ben Ezard, Guest Experience Manager.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2011

First stay at the Blackman. Wow from check in to check out. Friendly generous staff who only wish to please. The room was spotless and very comfortable. The pillows are the best I have seen any any hotel in the world. Resturants for breakfast was very good with a distinctly different approach to the usual boring business hotel breakfast.
The Blackman will now be my home away from home when i am in Melbourne. Well done.

Room Tip: No need, they give you the best
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you for such a wonderful review. This really means a lot to our whole team who have been working hard to make this hotel special stand out from the rest. We feel very proud to be your new "home away from home" and look forward to seeing you back very soon.
Kind Rgards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Fantastic 'Art Design' Hotel in St. Kilda Road. Very welcoming, helpful and friendly reception team at all times. Great rooms product, fantastic 'French Coffee Shop' next to to the reception.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review. I was very pleased to learn of the great stay you had at The Blackman. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Melbourne.