“Modern, clean, fantastic home base for a week stay in Melbourne”

Fraser Place Melbourne
Ranked #13 of 147 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Stayed here for a week during the Australian Open, booked online and when I wanted to add a night was able to do so with no problem. Of course I did everything pretty far in advance since I knew it was high season in Melbourne.

I had heard things like Cube was on a side street that was hard to find and out of the way, but Melbourne is so compact and the apartments are still very much in the City Centre so the location is incredibly convenient for most of the things you'd want to do. If you happen to miss the (free) City Circle tram that is half a block away, go to the Swanston Street stop which is two blocks away (and get on trams that'll take you everywhere) , or walk for 10 minutes and you'll be at Federation Square. (Melbourne is a walker's paradise, in addition to having an incredibly efficient public transportation system).

As far as the rooms are concerned, Cube has a simple modern design, with a small but incredibly convenient kitchenette on one wall, along with a washer/dryer combo (seriously, I'd never heard of something that did both in the same machine), and a fairly spacious bathroom. I was traveling alone, so I didn't have to share the space with anyone, but I think the size is perfectly adequate for two people as well. Because it's a serviced apartment, the room was cleaned every day (though, on the last day I was there, the cleaning staff left a used wash towel and it looked like they hadn't finished-- but that was the only blip the whole week).

My only real complaint was with the noise level within the building. I was on the 12th floor and I believe there was only one floor above me, but I could actually hear when the occupants above pulled their chair out on the floor, and some conversation. Also, my room was next to some electrical supply closet or something, and I could hear it when the system kicked in every morning.

Oh-- you have to pay for high speed internet-- which was fine by me, I just considered it as part of the accommodation costs. I think for 7 days it was $66 extra total. But you can only access the Internet with an Ethernet cable, so while my laptop could connect, my iPhone could not, which was not very convenient when I wanted to download Melbourne apps and activate them on the iPhone. Cube should consider changing their system to wireless. They can still charge, but it would make things more convenient (especially for travelers who only travel with a smartphone).

Still, I'd definitely recommend Cube as a place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank dannydinosaur

Reviewed February 1, 2011

The photos on the internet of this property give a false impression that the rooms are long and more spacious than they are. They are really just a square hotel room with a kitchenette along one wall. You have to sit on the bed (king size and so very comfortable) to watch the tv, which i didn't like because we stayed for 5 nights. We had an apartment at the rear with quite a nice view from the balcony. The bathroom is a little too close to the bed/living area and has opaque sliding door, doesn't really feel very private. Ther bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. However overall the furniture and fittings were of good quality and the decor was tasteful. Location wise it was probably one block too far to walk back and forth twice a day for 5 days but wasn't that big a deal! Staff were friendly and the housekeeping staff did a great job making the room up every day. The cafe on ground floor was excellent for breakfast and very reasonably priced! Bit of internal noise from other rooms at late hours of the night, but mostly quiet.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

Our group of six – three couples – stayed for one night at Cube in January 2011. We booked and paid through booking.com 3 executive double studios for $139 each. Glad we paid online when we made the booking as the receptionist wanted to charge us $250 as we checked in. The apartments are in a lane with no footpath to speak of. The rooms are compact, streamlined and look very flash but feel very claustrophobic. The bathroom has sliding glass walls which are opaque but if you turn on the light in the middle of the night they light up like a beacon. The bed area did have a concertina door to separate it from the kitchen bathroom area but this was padlocked and could not be used. Minimal equipment in the cupboards. Very pleased I was only there for one night. Photos on website only show rooms with views – not ones with internal balconies that look into a concrete box. I would have liked to have seen the rooms that looked outward. I think that I would be prepared to stay again if I had an outward facing room. The price was great for the location and the finishes in the room but I prefer a little air.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheSearchEngine
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My sister and I stayed here one week before the Australian Open and the first week of the open. When we made the booking they couldn’t accommodate us for the entire 2 weeks and we expected to have to move to another hotel of r 5 days of our stay. We were checked in on arrival at 7 30 am without any delay which was very welcome after a night flight. We enquired with reception about extending our stay two days after our arrival and not only were they able to provide a room for us due to cancellation, they gave us a fantastic rate and managed it all without having us to move to another room. Brilliant!
Within the surrounds of the apartments many great cafes and restaurants can be found. We particularly loved Trunk, 65 Degrees with their amazing coffee and good breakfast menu and the food hall at the QV centre.
Thank you to the staff at Cube for making our 2 week stay in Melbourne hassle free and memorable.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank PerthTess
Reviewed January 26, 2011

great new apartments in a very good location, very friendly staff all in all a great find for a very good price. The only complaint I would have is that the bed was a bit to soft for my liking, but other than that would stay again.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

My wife & I are lovers of fine food, wine and the good things in life. We would normally stay in a 5 star hotel (Sofitel, Crown Towers, etc). We decided this time that we would stay in the city and spend the extra money we would have normally spent on accomodation to great food and wine. We booked a Penthouse apartment and it was clean, spacious and modern. This place is very central and we even walked backed from Vue De Monde one night which is at 430 Collins St (worked off a bit of the french food). If you are looking for a place that is central, cheap,modern,and clean then I would highly recommened this place. Stay here and spend your hard earned money at the great cafes and restaurants of Melbourne.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

Spent 4 nights in 2 different apartments (beginning and end of a trip) and found the apartments well planned, well furnished, light and airy. Cooking facilities are limited (no oven/grill) but adequate for most meals The location is within easy walking distance to Chinatown, shopping, the laneways, Brunswick and Lygon Streets. We found the apartment and the area very quiet at night.

1  Thank Malcolm060