“Great accommodation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 113 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Byron Bay, Australia
“Great accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our studio deluxe was roomy, well appointed with kitchenette, king size bed & quiet. It is central (one doesn't have to go far to find something they like), close to eateries, public transport round the corner. The staff are friendly & pleasant. This hotel is great value.

• 4 of 5 stars
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank-you for your feedback; It is great to know you feel your receive value for money whilst staying with us at Fraser Place Melbourne. I am pleased you found our apartments well equipped and spacious, making for a comfortable stay; and that our team were able to demonstrate exceptional customer service. As you point out, we are situated in a fantastic location close to many of Melbourne's renowned culinary precincts, bars, restaurants and theatres. I hope that we can welcome you back to stay with us during your next visit to Melbourne.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed whilst at the tennis/Australian Open.
Location isn't really close to Rod Laver...about 20 minutes walk, but I found it a pretty nice walk to here and Bourke St Mall...no more than 10 minutes away.
As Melbourne is laid out so well, it's really easy to get everywhere and everything is pretty close and easy to get to really.
The room itself was fairly comfortable and spacious, noise factor was low, even with a room that was directly opposite the lift. The included breakfast wasn't a Hilton type spread but much better than I had expected.
My gripes were the (free) internet access was not just only for 1 connection at a time, but 1 item...with a laptop, mobile and tablet this was a major pain; extremely limiting. I found the kitchenette to be quite dirty to the point where I made sure I washed everything before use. It was very obvious that it hadn't been checked between guests, and there was a buildup of dust around knobs etc. The tv was a bit crappy and played up a bit.
The staff were really lovely and seemed genuinely friendly. The neighbourhood felt safe and although the hotel entrance is in a laneway, it was well lit at night.
Overall I was happy for the price vs. expectation ratio and would probably stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank-you for your honest feedback; I am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay and would most likely stay with us again. It is great that you found our location convenient; as you say Melbourne is so well designed that the majority of its' attractions are within walking distance of Fraser Place Melbourne and if not the free City Circle tram is at our doorstep, making it easy to get around. I am pleased you felt your room was comfortable and quite, and that breakfast surpassed your expectations. I have noted your comments regarding the cleanliness of the kitchenette and will address this with our housekeeping department; similarly I will discuss the TV quality with our engineer to see how we can improve this. I do understand your frustration with regards to the restricted Wi-Fi access; at present we provide this as a complimentary service and in light of your comments will look into feasible ways which we can provide additional log-ins. Again, thank-you for your feedback; I do hope we can welcome you back as our guest next time you visit Melbourne.
So. California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The entrance to this hotel is down an alley, which makes it quiet. Secure hotel with elevator key.
Room had kitchenette. Very comfy bed and noce bathroom. Staff was helpful with directions, etc. Centrally located to shopping, theatre, etc. There is a cafe, which is convenient. Free wifi in rooms, and there were 2 Macs in the entry available for use.

Room Tip: If you want to use your balcony as for one that doesn't face the opposite building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank-you for your review; I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that the conveniences provided by Fraser Place Melbourne were helpful to you. I am glad you found our team friendly and the provision of free Wi-Fi useful. I hope to welcome you back to stay with us again.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

In the NE corner of the CBD and an EZ walk to trams, Museum, IMAX, Parliament House, Old Gaol, trams and busses. Tucked away in a laneway, so no appreciable road noise. 4 apartments per floor, so no long noisy hallways. Rooms well insulated, have kitionettess & balconies. Beds super-comfy kingsize. We were on 12th floor and had total peace & quiet for 6 days. Breakfast was included and, although basic, had scrambled, bacon, beans and sometimes sausages, as well. Lift was fast and quiet. Only 2 gripes: freezer wouldn't freeze and there was only one chair.

Room Tip: Better views from upper floors...but mostly of nearby buildings
    • 4 of 5 stars
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank-you for your comments; it appears you were able to visit many of the Melbourne’s attractions during your stay and made the most of our convenient location and proximity to the free City Circle tram to explore the city of Melbourne. I am pleased you had a peaceful, undisturbed stay with us and that you found our apartments well equipped and comfortable. As you mention, we currently serve a simple buffet breakfast however as of March 2013 we will be introducing a limited, a-la-carte menu as an additional offering to guests whom may like something different during their stay, especially when staying for a longer period of time. With regards to your gripes, I am happy to advise that we are working with our technical services team in Singapore to source and purchase additional seating for the apartments to improve guest comfort. Unfortunately, the mini-bar fridges in the apartments are not designed to make ice. Again, thank-you for your feedback; I hope to be able to welcome you back to Fraser Place Melbourne in the future.
Harleston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We arrived at Fraser Place following on overnight flight from Hong Kong. Recommend the shuttle from the airport. Coaches wait outside the terminal and leave every 10 mins or so directly into the city where you change onto a small transit bus straight to your hotel. Very efficient service.
First impressions, not brilliant as hotel is situated down a small side street.
However, once inside reception staff were very helpful and our room was all we could have wanted. Kitchen with microwave, large fridge, crockery and cutlery all provided. More than adequate for our 2 day stay. Breakfast was included and a good selection of hot and cold food was offered. Excellent. Woolworths supermarket a couple of blocks away provided for our needs. Free tram service 5 mins from hotel which takes you to the centre in 5 mins.
Very pleased with our choice of hotel, would use again.

1 Thank Lynda1952
Thank-you for your feedback; I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that you found the features of our apartments, as well as our location convenient. I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again when next visiting Melbourne.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked Fraser Place as I was looking for accommodation that offer a little more than the basic hotel room. The rooms are well presented with good facilities. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Cleaning of the room during my stay was very average. Towels that were left on the bathroom floor to be changed were put back on the towel rails instead of being replaced with clean ones. The sheets on the bed were not changed for the duration of my stay.

I booked this hotel as it had a kitchenette. I used this daily and again house keeping did not make any attempts to clean the area. I would have been happy to clean this myself but there were no products or cleaning equipment in the room to use to clean.

Breakfast was included in my room rate but after the first day I decided to make my own. There was a small selection of cereals and toast, the hot food was inedable.

As noted from other reviews the air conditioning is very noisy, too noisy to be left on overnight.

Overall for the price I did not find this hotel to great value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank cumm00032
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank-you for your feedback; I sincerely welcome your comments and am pleased you have provided us with an opportunity to improve in the areas of housekeeping and breakfast. I am concerned by your comments regarding the servicing of your apartment and will raise these with our Housekeeping Manager to identify how and why our service standards were not upheld; and ways in which we can ensure such oversights are not repeated. With regards to breakfast, I am happy to advise that as of the 4th March 2013 we will be introducing a limited, a-la-carte breakfast menu; this initiative is in direct response to similar feedback received previously from our guests. We hope this additional offering will improve guest satisfaction. I am pleased that there were aspects of your stay which you enjoyed; namely the presentation and facilities of our newly refurbished apartments, and the level of customer service demonstrated by our staff. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you as our guest again when next visiting Melbourne.
Halesworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for three days over a very hot summer weekend. The room we had was fully equipped with a kitchenette, bathroom, sitting area and a bedroom with a really comfortable king size bed. We were able to make our own meals and there was a splendid supermarket just down the road on Little Lonsdale Street near the Library. The reception was polite and efficient: the hotel was busy and our room on the 13th floor looking south west had a superb view over the city. The location was good but a bit out of the way for a good tram service but on the whole a faultless experience.

Room Tip: Room 1307 on the top floor - quiet and super view.
    • 5 of 5 stars
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank-you for your feedback; I am pleased you have shared your faultless stay with the TripAdvisor community and am happy to hear you had an enjoyable experience as our guest. As you mention the fully equipped kitchenette is very convenient, particularly when the supermarket and the Queen Victoria Market are only a short distance from Fraser Place Melbourne and that you enjoyed the view of the city from your Premier Studio. I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again during your next visit to Melbourne.