“Great place, great location, great value.. slightly noisy”

Fraser Place Melbourne
Ranked #13 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great place, great location, great value.. slightly noisy”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed at the standard room on level 6, had partial views of the city.

It was great value as it included breakfast, free wifi, late checkout and the location was very convenient, next to a lot of cafes/bars for a good price compared to some other hotels that are more expensive and not as good.

The room was nice and clean, the staff helpful, overall it was a good deal.

The only complaint I have is that the rooms are not sound proof so when people came and went I could hear everything outside my door! Then in the morning at 6am the garbage trucks or whatever they were you could hear from the balcony.. quite disruptive but that was only on a Wednesday I think. But other than that I was still feeling that it was great value place.

Also, it was around the corner from Miss Chu's which was the best lemongrass beef vermicilli that I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kim N
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank-you for your feedback; I am pleased you feel you received value for money during your stay with us. Unfortunately, given our central CBD location there can at times be some street noise; we are aware of this issue and always do our best to allocate apartments on the highest level possible to try to minimise disruption to our guests. We are always looking for ways in which to improve guest satisfaction and will make a note of your comments for future discussion. I am glad to hear you found the wonderful Miss Chu's - it is a very popular place for lunch amongst our team and the lemongrass beef is a fantastic choice. Thank-you again for your review, I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us when you are next in Melbourne.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Should be renamed 'House of the Slamming Doors'. All room entry doors are fitted with a cheap fire safety door closer that SLAMS the door shut whenever you open or close it with an almighty bang. This means that whenever the first person in your corridor gets up, that's when you're getting up too. Whenever the last person to arrive back at night comes in, that's when you're getting woken up.

The cheap motif continues throughout the interior. The rooms are tiny, and the bathroom looks like it was fitted as an afterthought. The cheapo towel rails are fitted so close to the wall you can barely jam your towel in there, the sliding aluminum door provides no insulation to the rest of the room, the TV remove is cheap and nasty and barely works, etc etc.

On the plus side, the rooms are newish and clean, the location is good, wi-fi is free and the breakfast is ok.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for notifying us of areas in which we can improve our product; I will review these comments with our engineering department to discuss how we can reduce the noise from the opening/closing of apartment doors and also review the towel rack positioning. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the provision of complimentary Wi-Fi during your stay, and that you found our newly refurbished apartments clean and well located. Again, thank-you for your feedback we would be happy to welcome you back as our guest should you chose to stay with us again.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday through Wed. The room had was very clean and modern, and we had a balcony overlooking the city. It's in a good location as it is close to a lot of things in the CBD, a nice little stroll all the way down to the Gardens. The only downfall was that the door to the hallway is very thin so you could hear the housekeeping cleaning the other units. The good thing is that they don't start until 9. The breakfast was decent, eggs, bacon, beans some fruit and toast, but after 3 days of the same thing you need a little change.

I would stay here again if I had to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to review our property; I am glad you found your apartment clean & modern and well located. With regards to breakfast, we are currently making changes in this area and will soon be offering guests the choice of buffet or a-la-carte with a new menu to be introduced in March 2013. We believe this will provide our guests with some variety when staying for longer periods of time. I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 10 day stay in Melbourne. On the recommendation of a friend, we stayed at Fraser place in the CBD. Taxi from the airport was $65 including tip. Fraser place is situated in a small lane off La Trobe St at the Northern end of the CBD. The free City Circle tram goes past regularly for transport around if you know where you are going but is a long ride if you decide to take the whole trip. We arrived on Australia Day weekend and unfortunately for us the domestic staff had Sunday and Monday off, in fact, they seemed to be hard to locate over much of our stay. I would say our room was serviced less than half the days we were there.
If you read the details of the property through WOTIF, you will notice that they advise you to ask if you want a room with a balcony. I was unfortunate enough to book an Executive King apartment through the government travel booking service and was not advised of this so we were provided with a room that had no balcony but sliding doors that did not open but had wooden 'bars' outside. Presumably to prevent people falling to their death.
Be advised of this if intending to book here.
Also on the weekend we were first here, little was open in the way of restaurants or coffee houses - disappointing because what do people go to Melbourne for?
Fraser Place is only a 10 minute walk to Lygon St but too bad if it's Winter.
Also it is close to Queen Vic market and the Old Melbourne Jail so you can tick them off your list if staying there.
Rate includes WiFi and there is an in-room safe.
They do have disabled access.
Breakfast was OK - coffee awful and that means a lot to me as a coffee drinker. I often chose to pay for breakfast elsewhere as I couldn't face the coffee.
Personally, I will be returning to South Yarra or St Kilda on my next visit in November.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. Make sure those cleaners clean your room - maybe I'm paranoid but I'm cer...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience of Fraser Place Melbourne with the wider TripAdvisor community. I am concerned to read your comments regarding the lack of housekeeping during your stay and will certainly investigate this matter with our operations and housekeeping departments. I can confirm however that as stated on our website, and all online booking sites, that our housekeeping service is offered Monday to Saturday only, we do not service on Sunday or Public Holidays which would explain why on three occasions during your stay your room was not serviced.

It is a shame you found the city a little quieter than usual during the weekend of your arrival, Australia Day long weekend, and how this may have been inconvenient to you. As you mention however, we are very well situated to many nearby culinary precincts including China Town, Lygon Street & Vic Market.

With regards to breakfast, we are currently making changes in this area and will soon be offering guests the choice of buffet or a-la-carte with a new menu to be introduced in March 2013. We believe this will provide our guests with the opportunity to enjoy a simple breakfast or something a little more substantial. I am also happy to confirm we purchased and installed a brand new coffee machine last week, the feedback we are receiving about the quality of the product is very positive.

I do hope with the improvements we have implemented you will reconsider staying with us again during your visit to Melbourne in November.
Jakarta Selatan
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I just stayed there for 8 nights, better not to pay for breakfast deal. They have nice coffee around corner called Trunk Diner and Laksa Resto at the same block. Good space of room and the more important thing, free wifi & they serve ashtray in the balcony, perfect!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Irwansyah J
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank-you for your comments; I am pleased you were able to enjoy some of the many nearby restaurants, bars and cafes. It is also good to know that our complimentary Wi-Fi was of convenience to you. I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again during your next visit to Melbourne.
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had two rooms for a family of 5 in January 2013. The rooms were much smaller than I expected, since they are called apartments and the picture on the website implied a separate living area. However the rooms are really just a hotel room with a kitchenette. Only one of our rooms had the washer/dryer. There was some confusion at check-in about the room configuration, with the reception fellow suggesting that 3 people in one bed would be ok?????? ANYWAY, it actually was fine, as my request for a rollaway was fulfilled once we reached the room. The bathroom is small, but the shower head is wonderfully strong. The beds are ok, and there is a pillow menu available. Overall the room was kept clean (no service on a Sunday), although little things like forgetting to leave a toilet roll or leaving a cleaning bottle behind did happen. There is no concierge, but reception staff are very helpful.

Breakfast was included in our rate and it is nothing special, just scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, baked beans. Every day. Although sometimes they served cheerios (the little sausage things) instead of bacon. Cereal and toast is also available. But the fruit was not consistent - sometimes rock hard pears or stone fruit, sometimes sliced orange.

The best thing about Fraser Place is the location. It is very close to Chinatown, and the free City Circle tram can be caught on LaTrobe Street. Great places to eat are nearby and it's very easy to walk to some great sights such as The Old Melbourne Gaol, the State Library and the Melbourne Museum. Melbourne Central railway station is a block and a half away.

The other good thing is that our room rate included free wifi which was very reliable and quite fast. The teenagers used the gym and although it was small, they said it was good.

So overall, while we were a little disappointed to begin with, after a week we were quite happy with the Fraser Place and would probably stay again.

Room Tip: It is only a small hotel, so all rooms are basically the same. Some are smaller than others, so chec...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience of Fraser Place Melbourne; I am glad that despite some early doubt we were able to demonstrate and provide you with services and products which met your needs. I thank-you for identifying areas in which we are able to improve, and have certainly noted your comments regarding more attention to detail by the housekeeping department and the need for more variety at breakfast - both of these issues will be discussed in our next operations meeting. I am pleased you found our location and the provision of free Wi-Fi helpful and convenient. I do hope we are able to welcome you back as our guests in the future.
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights on a recent trip to attend the tennis and have no complaints. The room was spacious and had everything, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was much better than expected and the hotel is in a very handy place for walking to a lot of the attractions. We had only a 20 minute walk to the tennis centre, a 10 minute walk to Lygon Street and if you wanted to, the tram was almost at the door step. The only issue we had was the oversized desk in the room which blocked access to one door of the hanging wardrobe, which was a little inconvenient, can't really see why just a big desk is needed. Otherwise, will recommend to other travellers and definitely stay here again ourselves.

1 Thank 22Elsa11
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to review our property and for sharing your recent experience of Fraser Place Melbourne with the wider TripAdvisor community. I am glad that our team were able to make your stay with us a memorable one, and that our location proved very convenient for the purpose of your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed breakfast and your accommodation spacious. We are aware of the problematic desk and hope it was not too much of an inconvenience; we are investigating how this issue may be resolved. Thank-you again for your feedback, we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.