The positives were:
1. Location - tram stop right in front which was REALLY convenient;
2. Bar downstairs and cafe two doors down - good cheap food for YHA Central guests; 3. Elevator;
4. Organised cheap activities for guests;
5. Cleanliness was exceptional for a hostel;
6. Substantial security.
1. The noise from outside - I made my booking 4 months in advance when the hostel had practically no bookings and asked for a room away from Flinders St. When we arrived we were given a room facing Flinders St and the noise at night was unbearable and non-stop. When I spoke to them about it and reminded them that I had asked for a room at the back, they said they were fully booked and couldn't move us.
2. Price - It cost us $110 for a private room that was absolutely tiny. You couldn't walk around the bed..you had to walk on top of it to get to the other side. In my opinion, for what you get the price is way too high, considering you can get a deal on wotif.com at a 4 star hotel for around $130.
3. The staff - I have to disagree with most of the other reviews and say that I found the staff rude and unhelpful. I could list a number of things as an example but the one that annoyed me the most happened when we were checking out.....The girl told us "check-out time is at 10am not 10.15am".
4. Atmosphere - there is none.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the centre of the action and explore vibrant Melbourne with Melbourne Central YHA. Located in the heart of the city our friendly hostel never closes with 24 hour reception and our staff are always ready to answer your questions and help you make the most of your trip. Now with a terrific ground floor communal area opened in late 2014, our YHA offers modern facilities as well as an amazing rooftop complete with BBQ for you to enjoy the city views and meet new friends. On the ground floor and decked out in Melbourne's urban cool style, you'll find our 24 hour reception, tour desk, lounge, brand new self catering kitchen, TV room and Free Hot Spot (Wifi Plus also available for purchase). Upstairs, choose from a range of rooms including 3, 4 and 6 multi-share, twin/double rooms with optional ensuite and exclusive rooftop private rooms. All rooms have lift access and heated with included bed linen and each bed has individual reading lights. There's always plenty to do in Australia's sport and events capital! Melbourne Central YHA is only a short walk to Melbourne's main attractions including Federation Square, ACMI, Yarra River, Bourke St Mall, Eureka Skydeck, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Docklands, Crown Casino, Etihad Stadium, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne Aquarium and so much more. The free City Circle Tram and the $5 Melbourne Tourist Shuttle stops directly out the front of the hostel and will take you to all the iconic Melbourne sites like the MCG, the Shrine of Remembrance and Rod Laver Arena. Book a room at Melbourne Central YHA and experience Melbourne for yourself! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HostelWorld and Hotels.com so you can book your Melbourne Central YHA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melbourne Central Yha Hotel Melbourne