On the good side:
+ friendly staff
+ very central location
+ renovated bathrooms
On the bad side:
- no air con (and that at 42°C outside temperature - as if Melbourne didn't have a summer)
- uncomfortable beds
- super expensive baggage lockers after check-out
- absolutely no atmosphere. Overall the place feels like a state pen rather than a hostel. Security cameras all over the place, a metal fence at the reception when i was checking in; you need your room card for every single door you want to open, and there are absolutely no community rooms to socialise with fellow travellers. I don't know what happened there, maybe they've been robbed or something, but it really has no nice feel about it.
Overall: little value for the money you pay. Would not go there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the centre of the action and explore vibrant Melbourne with Melbourne Central YHA. Located in the heart of the city our friendly hostel never closes with 24 hour reception and our staff are always ready to answer your questions and help you make the most of your trip. Now with a terrific ground floor communal area opened in late 2014, our YHA offers modern facilities as well as an amazing rooftop complete with BBQ for you to enjoy the city views and meet new friends. On the ground floor and decked out in Melbourne's urban cool style, you'll find our 24 hour reception, tour desk, lounge, brand new self catering kitchen, TV room and Free Hot Spot (Wifi Plus also available for purchase). Upstairs, choose from a range of rooms including 3, 4 and 6 multi-share, twin/double rooms with optional ensuite and exclusive rooftop private rooms. All rooms have lift access and heated with included bed linen and each bed has individual reading lights. There's always plenty to do in Australia's sport and events capital! Melbourne Central YHA is only a short walk to Melbourne's main attractions including Federation Square, ACMI, Yarra River, Bourke St Mall, Eureka Skydeck, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Docklands, Crown Casino, Etihad Stadium, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne Aquarium and so much more. The free City Circle Tram and the $5 Melbourne Tourist Shuttle stops directly out the front of the hostel and will take you to all the iconic Melbourne sites like the MCG, the Shrine of Remembrance and Rod Laver Arena. Book a room at Melbourne Central YHA and experience Melbourne for yourself! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA and Ctrip TA so you can book your Melbourne Central YHA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melbourne Central Yha Hotel Melbourne