“Lovely place to stay in the CBD of Melbourne” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melbourne Central YHA

Melbourne Central YHA
Ranked #21 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“Lovely place to stay in the CBD of Melbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

The main characteristic of this beautiful hostel is the nice and friendly stuff.
If you have a question or problem, doesn't matter they will do their best for you!
Furthermore it's a clean and tidy hostel which is bigger than it looks like, when you see it the first time in the city of Melbourne.
So if you like to stay near the city centre in a nice Hostel, the central YHA, is maybe a good choice for you... I enjoyed my stay. Check it out.
Cheers, Julian

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank JulianRocks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Location: South East corner of CBD, close to Flinders and Southern Cross station
Hotel: Nothing exceptional, standard fare
Room: Narrow with 2 bunk beds (4 in all), storage below bed, bit inconvenient
Positives: Location, tram stop outside building, stations not too far
Negatives: Broken shower in bathroom, small fan, limited light in the room

Of the 3 YHA's that I stayed at during my trip, may be the Melbourne one was least impressive, at least from inside, 2nd best on location (after Sydney). At the corner of Spencer and Flinders Streets, connectivity wasn't an issue. The Skybus from Tullamarine halts at Southern Cross, barely 10 mins walk down hill to the hostel. The free CBD tram stops right outside. Flinders station 3 blocks away.

The reception staff was helpful, check in was quick. The room was a bit dark, there were lights on individual beds for reading, but would've preferred something brighter. The shower in the common bathroom was broken, very difficult to bathe.

Didn't have much time to use the recreational offerings, one small cafe under the building. There were more places to eat along Spencer Street.

May just explore other budget options before rushing to YHA Melbourne Central.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Quite UN impressed with the service. Had a girls dorm of 4- My friend and i arrived around 7pm on a saturday- to walk into the room with to the two already occupants asleep with lights off and the sheets from the other beds wrapped around their beds for privacy. The floor was covered with their belongings, therefore left no room for our stuff to be placed, so we had to leave our stuff in the bathroom ( which was later packed up and taken to reception). As we are not rude enough to turn lights on to sleeping people, we had to get ready outside up in the smoking area where we froze our butts off! We got ready asap to leave the place, and returned to the room around 5:30 am- Not everyone can get up a top bunk, so my friend was forced to sleep on the floor- there was no room to even place the mattress on the floor, so needless to say, her stay was very poor! Not saying to others not to stay there, just saying we will never again sleeping on the hard freezing floor for $44!!

Room Tip: Get there first and get the bottom beds, and if people are not going to respect other, dont either!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jo M
Melinda S, Marketing Coordinator at Melbourne Central YHA, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Hi Jo M, thank you for your review. YHA takes all of the reviews seriously and we appreciate your feedback.
If you do find that you have an issue with your room, you can always see us at reception as our reception desk is open 24 hours every day and we are always here to help you enjoy your stay.
Unless we get notified of any inconveniences in the rooms, we won’t know about it and can’t rectify the situation.
We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again at another YHA.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed in a 4 person room for 3 nights. The first night I was in a room that was pretty dark/dingy, and more importantly very very loud. I complained to the staff and they were extremely helpful and switched me to a different room that faced the non-noisy side and after that things were fine. Common areas very clean, and the bathroom is super clean too. Basically a nice hostel with good staff, just ask for quieter room if you have the option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kalojamu
Gouda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Good value for money. My friend and I stayed in an eight bed dorm. The room had eight lockers for whoever wanted to keep their valuables safe that way, and there was more space in the room than in some other YHA hostels. Kitchen and bathrooms were kept clean, and cleaning and reception staff were friendly. We got Mikey cards including some credit (for public transport) for free from reception, because other travellers had just left them behind.
Big bonus for this hostel is it's central location in the CBD area at a 10 minutes walk from the Southern Cross transport station (where the airport bus stops at). Rooftop terrace was also very nice considering the temperatures we had (35+ Celsius), less comfortable was that the dorm room only had one not-so-big window, and no air conditioning. Very hot at night.
Would stay there again, preferably not during a heat wave.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had two awful experiences in Melbourne (cheap dirty hostels) and decided the little bit of extra money was well worth it. I paid 36 bucks to sleep in a 2-share dorm, which is actually not a bad price at all.

Reception was so friendly, let me check into my room earlier than normal, and all four people I dealt with over my three nights were happy to answer any and every question - just what you want in reception staff.

The facilities (kitchen and bathroom) were exceptionally clean. There was a cleaning schedule where you could see that someone had been through and thoroughly cleaned everything. I didn't even mind walking around in bare feet.

My room was also super clean and comfortable, although there is no air conditioning, I was lucky and stayed when the summer nights were cooling down so it was comfortable to sleep! I don't know if it was just two-share rooms or all the rooms, but I was provided with a clean towel as well free of charge! It was a good change from my shammy travel towel!

I do warn other backpackers that this may not be the place for you to stay - it is NOT a party hostel, and that is my kind of place as I enjoy seeing the city and not my pillow during the day light hours. It's very quiet, apart from the CBD noise (what do you expect being right downtown, 10 minute walk to Federation Square and City Circle Trams right outside your door... I mean to say this is an ideal location!).

If I ever make my way back to Melbourne, I will totally stay here again :) but book early friends, because it's a popular place to stay! I sadly was unable to stay two extra nights after my first three were over!

Room Tip: I would guess that rooms that face the other buildings would be better. Mine was on the front so I g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
hobart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed now at this property on about 5 occasions and keep coming back.
I usually book a 3 bed dorm exclusive for myself and my 2 sons when we attend the Grand Prix or Melbourne Cup weekends.
Reception staff are always friendly and helpful, the rooms and toilet/showers very clean.
There are lockers now on the 5th floor to leave your gear for a small fee.
Great outdoor area on the roof and good kitchens.
Can be a bit noisy, especially early morning when the rubbish trucks arrive.
There is also a cafe next door which serves a great breaky and plenty of pubs nearby to service the backpacker market. Trams leave outside door.
King Street and its clubs are 5 minute walk away as is the casino and Southern cross station.
Cant go wrong

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the right hand side of the property (as you look at it from the street) next to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family