“Would stay there again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Gouda, The Netherlands
“Would stay there again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Good value for money. My friend and I stayed in an eight bed dorm. The room had eight lockers for whoever wanted to keep their valuables safe that way, and there was more space in the room than in some other YHA hostels. Kitchen and bathrooms were kept clean, and cleaning and reception staff were friendly. We got Mikey cards including some credit (for public transport) for free from reception, because other travellers had just left them behind.
Big bonus for this hostel is it's central location in the CBD area at a 10 minutes walk from the Southern Cross transport station (where the airport bus stops at). Rooftop terrace was also very nice considering the temperatures we had (35+ Celsius), less comfortable was that the dorm room only had one not-so-big window, and no air conditioning. Very hot at night.
Would stay there again, preferably not during a heat wave.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had two awful experiences in Melbourne (cheap dirty hostels) and decided the little bit of extra money was well worth it. I paid 36 bucks to sleep in a 2-share dorm, which is actually not a bad price at all.

Reception was so friendly, let me check into my room earlier than normal, and all four people I dealt with over my three nights were happy to answer any and every question - just what you want in reception staff.

The facilities (kitchen and bathroom) were exceptionally clean. There was a cleaning schedule where you could see that someone had been through and thoroughly cleaned everything. I didn't even mind walking around in bare feet.

My room was also super clean and comfortable, although there is no air conditioning, I was lucky and stayed when the summer nights were cooling down so it was comfortable to sleep! I don't know if it was just two-share rooms or all the rooms, but I was provided with a clean towel as well free of charge! It was a good change from my shammy travel towel!

I do warn other backpackers that this may not be the place for you to stay - it is NOT a party hostel, and that is my kind of place as I enjoy seeing the city and not my pillow during the day light hours. It's very quiet, apart from the CBD noise (what do you expect being right downtown, 10 minute walk to Federation Square and City Circle Trams right outside your door... I mean to say this is an ideal location!).

If I ever make my way back to Melbourne, I will totally stay here again :) but book early friends, because it's a popular place to stay! I sadly was unable to stay two extra nights after my first three were over!

Room Tip: I would guess that rooms that face the other buildings would be better. Mine was on the front so I g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed now at this property on about 5 occasions and keep coming back.
I usually book a 3 bed dorm exclusive for myself and my 2 sons when we attend the Grand Prix or Melbourne Cup weekends.
Reception staff are always friendly and helpful, the rooms and toilet/showers very clean.
There are lockers now on the 5th floor to leave your gear for a small fee.
Great outdoor area on the roof and good kitchens.
Can be a bit noisy, especially early morning when the rubbish trucks arrive.
There is also a cafe next door which serves a great breaky and plenty of pubs nearby to service the backpacker market. Trams leave outside door.
King Street and its clubs are 5 minute walk away as is the casino and Southern cross station.
Cant go wrong

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the right hand side of the property (as you look at it from the street) next to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ushy
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well located, just a few blocks from southern cross station (airbus, train), walking distance from southbank, federation square, main streets in city, flinders station. At federation square can catch the turist bus a hop on and off different places in the city like queen victoria market or botanical gardens.
The hostel is clean and safe, good toilets and showers, linen is provided and there is lockers in the room.
The big problem: no air conditioned..hot, hot, hot..imposible to sleep. Just a fan in the room poorly located.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here with two friends in a triple. I haven't stayed in a hostel such as this one in the past 20 years so I was not sure what to expect. Our room was very clean and comfortable and it was a better option than the Econolodge City Square that I had stayed in solo by myself the night before. The hotel is centrally located to the bus station where you can pick up the Skybus to the airport (least expensive way to get to and from the airport to the city center). There is a reasonably priced wifi option and paid locker storage in a room on the roof top. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The staff were so sweet and helpful.
The rooms and bathrooms were in great condition. Kitchen nice and clean.
I loved staying there, it was a bit expensive for me so I could only stay there for two nights.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

After staying the Sydney harbour yha, this one is a bit older and quite noisy from the street and also inside the hostel. Simple rooms, clean bathroom but fantastic location to explore the vibrant lanes of the cbd.

Paying such an amount for a private room and bathroom, I would expect a little bit more even though it is a hostel. I prefer the yha Sydney harbour as the ideal budget accommodation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melinda S, Marketing Coordinator at Melbourne Central YHA, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thanks for your review ohbarlow. YHA takes all of the reviews seriously and we appreciate your feedback.
Melbourne Central YHA is a heritage building - so it is quite old and when it was renovated we were unable to make any drastic changes to the structure, but we are glad to hear you were happy with the location of the hostel.
Sydney Harbour is a great hostel and also a lot newer in a modern building only opening in 2009, it is also located away from the traffic, being quieter than Melbourne Central.
We appreciate your feedback on all of our properties and we hope to see you again at another YHA.