“Can't Wait”

Punthill South Yarra Grand
Ranked #86 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am so looking forward to staying here next week. Stayed8 nights in a studio apartment last year and staying 9 night this year in a 2bedroom with my sister. Trip is both business and pleasure and knowing the location and stle of accommodation it is perfect for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Jewels0856,
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding Punthill South Yarra Grand.
As a return guest to Punthill, we are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable stay last time, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hubby and I stayed for two nights, I found the place very modern, very clean and has a very relax atmosphere as you walk in, luv the lounge and the fire place. I also thought the weather forecast in the lift was a great idea.

The shower pressure was good and LOVE the chocolates I found next to the bed as a welcome treat and the word of wisdom I thought that was very nice and very delicious :)

We found the managers (Adrian & Paul) and staff (James) are very friendly and very quick to assist us with anything. Its a nice feeling specially when your far away from home.
The location is great you got the south Yarra train station near by all, cafes and restaurant and supermarket are also near by and easy to find.

Highly recommended to anyone and would diffenetely come back in the future. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Rhea Y,
Thank you for your review of Punthill South Yarra Grand.
The team will be delighted to know that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you are looking forward to a return visit!
We hope to welcome you back to Punthill soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend. The facilities in the apartment are lovely - not sure about the strange dog statue on a patch of grass on the balcony. The views were of an open construction site, so the balcony wasn't that appealing. There is an issue with the bedding. I found the beds extremely uncomfortable (way too spongey) and there was only a sheet and thin blanket provided. There is a heater but who wants to sleep with a heater on all night. This was Melbourne in the middle of winter, blankets are needed.

Even though you are not in the CBD, it is well connected with trams and South Yarra train station right across the road, only 3 stops to Flinders St. There are also many places to eat in the area.

Almost all of the staff we encountered were pleasant, however one experience was particularly distasteful and left me with a very poor impression. It relates to the bedding issue I mentioned. I was travelling with people staying in another apartment and all of us commented on how cold it was. I asked the man at reception for a blanket. He acted as if I was asking for something really unreasonable and said he would have to 'try' and find one. He managed to miraculously come up with one, but then proceeded to almost argue with me about the need for a blanket! If I am cold and I want a blanket, I don't want someone telling me I should just put on the heater! So rude! He said he was from Byron Bay so if he wasn't cold, I shouldn't be cold. Customer Service 101 people, don't argue with customers!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nat_in_viaggi
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Nat_in_viaggi,
Thank you for your review of Punthill South Yarra Grand.
We use very soft and luxurious mattress toppers which most guests love. Next time, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will of course remove the topper and you will find the bed really comfortable.
We are really upset about the poor customer service. As you can see from other reviews, this is highly unusual and as you say, never ever acceptable.
We thank you for staying, and hope that you will contact our General Manager - Tania Sreco on 03 9916 8888 - next time you stay, and Tania will ensure that you receive an excellent rate and have a wonderful stay.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here just for the one night. We were more than happy with our stay. We found our room to be very clean and modern. King size bed and pillows were very comfortable, we slept great, and shower pressure good.
The staff at reception were always lovely and helpful. I especially enjoyed the extra small touches, like the blackboards in the room and in the lift with the weather forecast. Also the little Thank you chocolates and 'words of wisdom'. I really appreciated those things,
Location was good, around the corner from Chapel St and a short cab ride into the city. Parking was reasonably priced, but you do get a little dizzy driving up to the 5th & 6th floor :)

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear MrsK_1983,
Thank you for your review of Punthill South Yarra Grand.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay at the property and hope that maybe next time you visit Melbourne you can stay for a bit longer to further explore the city!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife booked this as a surprise getaway as a restful break from home renos and the kids. The room presented well in funky decor although not quite what i would call "grand". Unfortunately due to poor sound insulation once the clock came close to midnight and we were trying to sleep, we couldn't due to the thumping bass coming from nearby clubs. I called reception who offered to come and listen( maybe they didn't believe me) which I declined. The man was sympathetic to our situation but due to no vacancies was unable to offer a different room. We subsequently left and went home so we could get a quality sleep. I advised the hotel direct of my issue via email the following day in the hope they might sympathise and offer a free night to make up for the issue. Instead my wife received a call from the abrupt sales rep who argued something could have been done about it ( maybe put their fingers in our ears)and that there are no night clubs in the area. My wife was made to feel like a liar by someone who could do with a lesson in customer service. I would not recommend this hotel location to people wanting to have a good sleep on a Friday or Saturday night, and don't bother following up with their sales staff as they are rude and condescending,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Jfcwesty,
We are so sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay.
Your email to us asked for a refund and if you did not receive it, your email threatened to post negative reviews on multiple sites. We do not think that the review process is supposed to be used in this way. There are in fact no clubs anywhere near our property and the staff member wished to determine if possibly the noise was from other guests. We certainly did not intend to question your honesty.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment for a week. The apartment was spotlessly clean, and had lots of great design touches that gave it real character - so much nicer than the often sleek but impersonal style of other apartment chains. The whole place felt very welcoming, and the owners were the loveliest guys you could ever hope to meet - absolutely delightful, and very helpful.

The location is excellent as well - South Yarra is a lovely area, with some fantastic restaurants (make sure to check out the pizza at Versachi's on Toorak Road, and the breakfasts at Two Birds One Stone around the corner on Claremont St), and is very convenient to the city by public transport, with a train station and tram stop just down the street. The apartments themselves are very quiet, and we never bothered by any kind of noise from outside - even the proximity to the train station was almost unnoticeable.

I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear PropMonkey,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your complimentary review of Punthill South Yarra Grand.
We are thrilled that the service, the property and its location met all your expectations.
We hope to welcome you back to Punthill Apartment Hotels in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at Punthill South Yarra Grand on several occassions and it never fails to disappoint.
Great location, friendly staff and really good rooms. The rooms may be a little small for some, but it is in the inner city of Melbourne. I think they are perfect for either a couple or a single and are always available at a good price.
This is my choice in accommodation every time I visit Melbourne.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms overlook South Yarra train station. If the noise is a concern for you requ...