“Fanastic Beds & Bathroom, Great Location, Close to CBD, Delicious Breakfast. Highly recommended”

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2009

We stayed in the Hilton Melbourne South Wharf in August 2009 for a long weekend (3 days) with some friends, and we booked several rooms.

Price:
The Hilton had a special rate at the time, and I think we stayed there for no more than AU$200 per night. It looks to be newly renovated or newly built.

Rooms:
I have never stayed at any of the Hilton chains before - but now I am a definite convert to all things Hilton. The rooms were spacious - typical of what you would expect a hotel in Australia to be like. The views were fabulous. All the rooms we had booked faced the water, and the huge windows reached from the floors to the ceilings made the views spectacular, particularly at night.

The rooms were absolutely spotlessly clean. I couldn't find any fault with the cleanliness of the rooms. The beds were absolutely heaven. It was literally like sleeping on a bunch of fluffy clouds - as soon as you crawled into bed, you did not ever want to leave it. I was actually excited about crawling into bed every night.

Aircon was available and the termperature was fully adjustable to your liking using a panel on the wall. The TV was a flatscreen LCD and offered all the typical channels Australian television offered. I think Pay TV was available, but we weren't on holidays to simply watch TV, so I didn't notice the Pay TV channels much.

Bathrooms:
Bathrooms were huge - as large as the bedroom. You had ample space. There were separate spaces for both bathtub and a shower. Everything was brand new. Housekeeping provided fresh towels, soaps, and shampoos every day. Everything was classy, clean, professional. I honestly couldn't find a fault with the bathrooms.

Breakfast:
Our rates included complimentary buffet breakfast. I cant describe how FANTASTIC the breakfast was! The hash browns were to die for. And the service and food was immaculate & absolutely mouthwatering. They took orders for you and cooked eggs specifically for you, based on your needs. It was absolutely delicious.

Location:
The location was good. We typically took a taxi to the city to avoid the walk - which costs no more than AU$10. But we did walk to the CBD a few times - and it wouldn't have been more than 20-30 minute walk. The walk itself is beautiful. Melbourne has lovely architecture and the views distracted you from the mudane task of walking.

Melbourne is a nicely planned city. We had no problems navigating the place. There's also a free CBD tourist tram that goes around in circles. If its your first time in Melbourne, its worthwhile just to hop on it to get your bearings of the place - and to mark out the places worthwhile to visit.

The area is safe. All of us girls never felt unsafe walking around in Melbourne. Of course, you'll have to exercise common sense - but as someone from Sydney, I think Melbourne is much safer than Sydney. And I think the majority of places in Australia are all safe. Aussies are generally a nice friendly bunch. And we found asking directions from random people on the street very easy - they were very helpful and polite.

The Staff:
The concierge were nice and friendly - and offered us accurate directions on how to get around. They were professional, courteous, respectful. I only have good things to say about the staff there. Tipping is not comon in Australia - the concierge remained friendly (and helped us to get a taxi) - despite all of us neglected and forgot to tip.

Overall:
I loved this hotel. I have absolutely no complaints or criticisms about it. If I had to nit pick for one - it would be....I honestly can't think of any. If youre worried about the location - it's not quite in the Melbourne CBD - but I found it close enough to walk to the CBD easily, and close to Crown. If you're relatively fit - the walk is pleasant and non-strenuous.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anon0818

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bangkok
Reviewed December 11, 2009

This is the best bed I've ever slept in! It's very comfortable and I didnt' want to get up. The hotel was well decorated and the room was very lovely, with a stunning view of city lights. The bathroom was spacious with a tub and a shower area.

The downfall was a location that not right in a middle of all actions. Quite a walk to a tram stop but hey if you drive or take a cab all the time, it'd be perfect. They can improve in a customer service area though as not all of them were very friendly.

Overall it's a nice stay and would defenitly stay here again if I could get a good deal!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Excellent for access to Melbourne Exhibition ad Convention Centre

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Stayed for a week for a conference at the Convention Centre..this was the perfect choice for us. The hotel is new, classy and very comfortable. But the difference here is the service levels match the splendour of the hotel. At some hotels, you find the attitude of 'what do you mean you want service?' ...not at this hotel.

Enjoyable stay - thanks.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed November 19, 2009

the accommodations were plush. Bed incredibly comfortable, Bathroom and amenities great. Nice city view of the city and the river. Service incredible. Breakfast was great. My only comment is that it is a bit far from the CBD and need to walk a little to get to the free shuttle bus and free tram. So i wouldn't recommend this place for less mobile persons.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank jinapsan
Melbourne
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I had booked a Yarra Suite for my wife as a treat for her 30th birthday, unfortunately on that day I suffered a collapsed lung and was admitted to hospital. My wife phoned the hotel to inform them that we would not be able to take up the reservation. When I got out of hospital I phoned the hotel to see if we could change the reservation date for one in the future so that I could give me wife a belated 30th birthday. After waiting four days for someone to phone me back after leaving a message with reception, I phoned again...and then again and eventually got to speak to a duty manager. I was asked to fax in a doctor's certificate and they would see what they could do. After faxing it in I waited several more days and then received a call from the reservations team to tell me that there was nothing they could do - an answer well worth waiting a week for!
If you do decide to stay here I hope the service you receive is much better than that which I have (not) received over the last two weeks!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Otter_9
Perth WA
Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from 4 nights at the Hilton South Wharf. We choose it as we got a very good rate of A$228 per night including breakfast.

Points in favour
Good price when we booked
Close to Melbourne Convention Centre and the new DFO store.
The room was a decent size; 38 sq. m.
We asked for two single doonas on our king sized bed plus rubber pillows. Both were already in the room when we arrived.

Point against
We had a west facing room which was very hot when we arrived as the blinds were up and the sun was streaming in. We had to remember to fully close the blinds when we went out each day.
Not near anything else but DFO and Melbourne Convention Centre.
Very gloomy room. Only one downlight for the whole room. There were a couple of low wattage lights we subsequently discovered. We asked for an extra light but no luck.
The most appalling art work imaginable at the check-in counter. It looked like a bacterial growth and was made of two colours of “Brillo” pads. It was meant to signify coral.
Corridors also gloomy especially at night.
Poor cleaning standard on the whole length of the corridor on level 15 on Saturday and Sunday morning.
Breakfast was a little unimaginative.

We will be extremely unlikely to opt to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple