“A beautiful new hotel that gives a new outlook on Melbourne”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #21 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The new Melbourne Hilton South Wharf is an excellent addition to Melbourne's skyline in the developing Docklands/South Wharf precinct, close to the CBD/Crown Casino and the Conference Centre, with amazing views and a different angel on Melbourne's Yarra River. The executive floor rooms were outstanding, comfortable and spacious. All staff demonstrated a great commitment to service and personal touches such as the scented dry flower placed on your pillow, as well as personal recognition at the property, made for a comfortable and reviving stay. I would strongly recommend to business travellers who want something more. Current rates are excellent! Stay on the executive floor as the value is outstanding and lounge staff friendly and professional - a very good Hilton addition in Australia!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 11, 2009

The Hilton Melbourne South Wharf is a truly 5 star hotel in an interesting area of Melbourne. The rooms are spacious and are well-designed and appointed. Being a new hotel, all furniture and fittings are still sparkling. The bathrooms are large and integrate well with the room. I would have preferred a larger shower head however. The public areas are beautiful and provide a serene and relexed atmosphere. Service at the bar and Cafe Chino was a little slow but Cafe Nueva was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I usually stay at the Crown Promade but this time decided to stay at The Hilton due the price, my daughter and I from the time we arrived at reception till we left our stay at the Hilton was wonderful .I will be staying at the Hilton for all future business and holiday stays .Thank You
Debra Oldfield

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2009

As frequent visitors to Melbourne for business and pleasure my wife and I have found our Hotel for all future visits to Melbourne, great location, superb food and beverage, rooms were great with the best hotel beds I have stayed in, well equipped gym and facilities. Good location for the football at either venue and easy acces to transport, book early as I beleive when the word gets out about this place it will fill up very quickly, especially if there are conferences on at the neighbouring facility.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our week long stay at the Hilton South Wharf. The hotel is very new and the bed is the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived. Location of this hotel is much better than we thought it would be. A pedestrian bridge over the Yarra River provides close access to the free City Cirlcle tram. The Crown Casino and South Bank are only a short stroll away. Despite the hotels' close proximity to the city, the rooms are extremely quiet. Our room had a huge floor to ceiling window which provided excellent views of the Yarra River, the city and the bay. The window had an electric blind which blocked all light entirely providing excellent sleeping conditions. The Hilton South Wharf would definitely be my choice of accommodation for any future visits to Melbourne!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed for the weekend in August 09 in a twin Executive room which included breakfast and access to the club lounge for afternoon tea and also the drinks and canapes.

The first thing we noticed about the lobby upon entering was the amount of wood that was used in the lobby, to my female eye it would appear more to the males taste, however it was done tastefully and not too over powering but you could be forgiven for thinking you have boarded a ship!

The second thing was the poor lighting in the lobby giving the appearance that it was evening even though it was 10:30 am in the morning. It was painfully dim and needs lighting to liven up the lobby. The lobby was spacious, clean and well set out.

Our room was not ready so we returned at the 3pm check in time. Our room was was lovely. Two twin double beds that were so heavenly comfortable with white comforters and plenty of pillows to lay my head. A large flat LCD tv offering foxtel, movie and the usual tv channels, mini fridge, complimentary bottled water and complimentary turn down service each night where they left a little momento on your bed each night added that special touch that made our stay.

The room has an automatic roller blind that smoothly rises and falls at the touch of a button on the wall, The view we had from the 17th floor gave us some river viewsand we could see the ocean in the distance.

Good quality furniture and furnishing compliment the room, again not all were to my taste but a still gave a wonderful aura to the room.

House keeping failed to clean our room on the second day of our stay and when we arrived we arranged for them to come and clean our room by telephone using the 'magic button' on the phone. The staff on the other end of the line were brilliant and apologised saying that they were experiencing some housekeeping problems and would send them to clean our room. We also got some great travel tips from them before we hung up.

We went out again and when we returned housekeeping had been but we noticed a few things that they did not do considering this is a 5 star hotel.

They did not replenish our water.
The toiletries in the bathroom had also not been replenished.
They had mistakenly given up two face towels instead of a bath mat.
We had asked that our clock on the bedside table be set to the correct time as it was out by an hour and we had almost missed breakfast on the first morning because it was wrong, and again it was still on the wrong time. (I could not work out how to change the time).
Again, the lighting in the room is too dim for my liking and I would like to see more lamps in the room if I need them.

The bathroom is large with a sliding door and seperate toilet which is so much better when staying in a hotel room . The shower and bath are seperate and the complimentary toiletries are good . There is a makeup/shaving mirror and it was great for applying my makeup.

The buffett breakfast was very good and it was a pleasure lingering over my coffee every moming.

We went to the afternoon tea twice and whilst the teas and coffees are very good, we found that they mostly served the same breakfast pastries they had had that morming for breakfast. There was one chocolate mud looking cake (this same cake was served the next day as we noticed there was only half of it left) and biscuits.

The drinks and canapes were relatively good, I sampled the spring rolls, samosa's, dips, nuts and tasted a wine or two however I would have liked to have seen some dainty sandwiches.

This hotel is right near the Casino which was ideal for us as it took less than 10 mins to walk there and about 20 mins to walk to the main shopping area in the city. We like to walk but you can get a tram or the city bus not too far away.

The only big issue I had with this hotel was the noise factor as the walls are not as sound proofed as I would have expected for a 5 star hotel. Considering we were on the 17th floor I could road traffic noises, other guests in the corridor and staff cleaning rooms near ours.

Despite the housekeeping tweaks, I enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank sabrina222
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I satayed mid July 2009. The hotel is very new (opened in April 2009), and modern with dark decor. Great location for access to the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. Staff were friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast selections with the full buffet breakfast. Rooms were spotless which is to be expected, having only recently opened and I can't imagine the hotel having been fully booked in those 10 weeks.
My only gripes: the lack of lighting in the room and foyer. I need light to be able to see what I'm doing and where I'm going; and the carpark/ driveway entry were not yet completed when I stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business