“Good but not quite great”

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #20 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Good but not quite great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

My first stay at this hotel didn't get off to a good start with a wait of about 20 mins to get to the front of the check in queue. The staff just weren't coping, although we were offered water or juice during the wait.
Once we reached the counter, the staff were professional and friendly.
Our room was fine, although some guidance on working lights and the blinds would have been helpful. Lunch was hard to find and staff thin on the ground, but once we found someone, it was delicious and good value.
The executive lounge for breakfast was spacious and well appointed.
The location is a bit out of way, but there is a free tram not far away, although on a wet weekend it was pretty crowded.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Many thanks for your review about your recent stay at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf.

Whilst I was sorry to learn that you encountered some delays with various aspects of our service during your stay, I greatly appreciate your constructive feedback and we truly regret any inconvenience caused on this occasion.
However, it was great to see that you've enjoyed your visit overall; and again, thank you for your comments.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf at some stage in the future.

Brett Christ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southport, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location. Room was huge with wonderful bed. Clean. Worth obtaining the package of breakfast and wi if which is $35/day. The buffet breakfast includes great selection of meats, cheeses, fruits, and breads. Poached eggs and scrambled eggs, regular juices. And you can put in oranges, carrots, etc. to make your own fresh juices. Order eggs Benedict, waffles, omelettes, all cooked to order. You don't need lunch after breakfast.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Wonderful to read about your satisfaction with our service and facilities at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, particularly the Buffet Breakfast offering, and I hope we will have the pleasure of your return in the near future.

Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed with my wife and daughter for 3 nights. Although the hotel is not right in the CBD, it doesn't take long to get anywhere - cabs are easy to get and it's less than 5 mins walk to the free city circle tram. Plus you've got the DFO centre on the same block, there's a convenience store near the front door, and cafe's and restaurants nearby too. The Executive lounge is exceptional with awesome views of the river and city, plus a great selection of food and drinks. Very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, which I greatly appreciate.

I was delighted to read your comments and we all look forward to serving you again at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf in the not too distant future.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 years ago and again in 2013, this time with the kids in a family room. We had a wonderful two nights, so centrally located, and the staff were great with the little ones come breakfast time. The view at night down the Yarra, is spectacular...

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for your review about Hilton Melbourne South Wharf.

Great to see that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was my first time at the Hilton South Wharf. What I liked and was impressed:
* Fantastic views (of South Bank and part of city - facing south-east).
* Convenient location next to Convention Centre.
* Room had a clean, modern touch. Sufficient wardrobe space. Even had a bathtub and separate shower (getting to be rare in Australian hotels).
* Breakfast spread was wide and rather extensive. You can even do your own juice - self service.

What I did not like:
* Room should have more lighting - felt somewhat dark once the blind was drawn down.
* On top of your breakfast bill, if you want a cup of latte, cappuccino, etc, you have to fork out an extra $4! This is truly the most ridiculous affair at this hotel. And the latte was not that great. (For this alone, I cannot accord a 5th star to this hotel - seems somewhat cheapskate for a 5-star hotel).
* I thought the number of service staff at breakfast was bit short. On my first day, I saw guests trying desperately to catch the attention of serving staff for a refill of coffee and many just gave up and want to get their own top-up. On my second day, true enough, I could not get my latte served despite mentioning this TWICE to 2 serving staff. I gave up eventually.
* The servers and cooks at breakfast seem not too friendly at all. No cooks or chef was present at the egg station so you have to patiently wait for one to turn up, call for one, or just give up. I noticed most guests just gave up.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if every room has a city or harbour view, but if you love views, make sure to insis...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review about Hilton Melbourne South Wharf.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and the features of your guestroom.
I have also noted your comments for our improvement, particularly in relation to the standard of service you received during your Breakfast experience, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience caused on this occasion. Rest assured I have shared this information with the Department Manager concerned and we greatly appreciate your feedback and observations, which help us monitor if we are meeting our valued guests' needs and expectations.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to serve you again at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf in the not too distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

For me, Hilton has become synonym for old, worne down, under-invested hotels. Fortunately, the Melbourne version was an exception to this rule. Located in the South Wharf business-district, this hotel was attractively and modernly designed and was truly a pleasant place to stay the night. For unclear reasons, one of the 2 hotel restaurants was closed, and there wasn't a lot of life in the hotel bar itself (too large in set-up I guess). But this was compensated by the surrounded area which had a lot of nice bars and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review about your stay last year.

Naturally, I was delighted to read your feedback; however, we sincerely regret that the restaurant was closed during your stay - We do host private functions within the restaurant on occasion, although continue to serve food within the Bar area as an alternative. However, I'm pleased to see you enjoyed our location and the surrounding restaurants.

We all look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf in the not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Let me say from the outset that the beds in this hotel are the BEST that I have ever slept in. As a business traveller I don't normally sleep very well when away from home but I slept like a baby while staying here.

The staff are very polite and friendly and do go that extra distance to meet your needs. A+

I can highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Melbourne, you won't regret the decision!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

At Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, we understand that comfort is key to ensuring a restful night's sleep and I'm delighted you were pleased with your experience, as well as our friendly service.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to serve you again int he near future.