“Great Hotel,Fair Location”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #21 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This hotel is at the far end of the wharf.It is next to the convention center and there are several restaurants in the area, but if yowantto be close to the downtown,you are about a 20 minute walk away.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at Hilton Melbourne South wharf when attending a concert at the MCEC Plenary. The hotel could not be more conveniently located - in fact if the weather is inclement, it isn't even necessary to step outside. The hotel is new so decor is modern. The bathroom is well designed and the shower head gives a very satisfactory massage. Pillows were great - comfortable and plentiful. I really enjoyed myself on what was an unfortunately brief visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us especially the location. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was in Melbourne for 3 days on business and the Hilton South Wharf was a comfortable place to use as a base.

Service Quality: The staff were very friendly, professional, and trained well in the way of customer service. Special thanks goes out to Agnes and Vicki in the housekeeping department I had forgotten a valuable piece of athletic equipment when I checked out, and all it took was an email for them to promptly respond, confirm they had found the equipment, and a have it back in my hands in California within the week. Very much appreciated. During my stay, the staff truly seemed to care about their guests. Great example: conscious of the heat wave outside (45 degrees for 4 straight days!), the staff created a great ice water and sunscreen station. The concierge was quite informative.

Room Quality: The beds were plush and comfortable. Room was large, and featured a full panoramic view of the Yarra and downtown. Bathroom also large, featuring a soaking tub and spacious walk-in shower. Only con is that the construction quality and fixtures were done a bit on the cheap. The towel holders were loose, bathroom slider door was crooked and didn't slide properly, and desk had a wobble.

Location: a bit out of the way in terms of touristy sights and the CBD, but there is direct, convenient access to the walking/running/biking path along the river to get into the heart of town within 15-20 minutes walk. The hotel is connected to the convention center, so I can imagine the area can get crowded if a convention is on, however things were pleasantly quiet during my stay. Perhaps a benefit from being slightly out of the center areas. Nice bars and restaurants connected to the building along the river.

Amenities: Gym was adequate. Surprised that there was no pool. Lobby cafe featured nice coffees, teas, and small morning bites. The wine bar was also a great place to finish off a night. Didn't use room service, but menu options looked decent, but with the expected inflated pricing. In-room wifi came at a price (Free if you have higher HHonors status), but it was fast.

Overall, I would come back.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room facing the city core and the Yarra. The higher the better. Amazing view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the team was able to retrieve your lost item and send it across.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at this Hilton in Melbourne prior to boarding a cruise ship. The hotel was located on the Yarra River close to the convention center. Many restaurants can be found along the scenic riverfront, and the walk to downtown is 15 minutes.
The hotel room was very good. Quiet, and comfortable. There was a daily breakfast and dinner buffet which more than satisfied our appetite. The staff was very accommodating.
If you are planning to cruise from Melbourne this hotel is located just a short taxi distance from the cruise terminal.
Also, the business office with computers and printers seemed to be a bit faster than the room setup.

Room Tip: We had a room with a good view of the river and the city. You might ask at the desk as to which side...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a 10/10 review.
I was really glad to read that your enjoyed your stay with us and the team look after you well. Hope to see you soon.

Kanu Mathur, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Not a fan of the Hilton brand in general, however this property is what all hotels should aspire to be. Fresh clean, stylistic in current sense of the word. Fantastic culture among the staff that breads helpfulness with condescension. The rooms are great. Fantastic block out blinds allowed great sleep ins. I can not speak highly enough of the staff and general quality of the hotel in general.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers.
We hope this experience will change your mind regarding Hilton Hotels Worldwide.
Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Hilton South Wharf is still as good as ever! We stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary in January, and had a wonderful stay.
We booked a city view room, with access to the Executive Club.
The floor to ceiling windows were magnificent! What a fantastic view!
The room and the bed were extremely luxurious and comfortable.
We enjoy this location on the banks of the Yarra River, with it's many shops, and choices of bars and restaurants, and an easy 10 - 20 minute walk to Southbank and the City Centre.
Check in was a very slow tedious process, but after that, everything was amazing! The food, drinks and service were all top class. We can't wait to come and stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers. I am delighted to read that we are your favorite city hotel in Melbourne!!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was lucky enough to stay here last year in July. The rooms are gorgeous and the beds are delicious!! Luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom was huge and opulent. The location is perfect, especially to the conference centre, but also only a short walk to hundreds of shops and restaurants.

However....I detest calling their reservations department. I am currently rebooking for this year, and each time I have called the hotel I ask to speak to the in house reservation department - and each time I have been transferred to a central reservations centre overseas. I had hunted down a great price on the web and wanted to book direct with the hotel...they however would not match the price - which is fine...(strange though - I spent 6 years of my working life, working for the Sydney Hilton, London Hilton and The Sheraton on The Park, and for at least 3 of them as Reservations Supervisor!!), but they would not even entertain any negotiation.
The reservations agent was incredibly pushy, questioning me as to why wouldn't I book right then and there...I kept explaining that I was not happy with the rate and wanted to speak with my travelling partner...she was not happy. She threatened that even if I booked and paid in full through the Agoda, my reservation would not be guaranteed and I might miss out, I really should still book with her...
I am baffled as to why I am unable to speak with someone from the hotel... what is happening to customer service? The service is amazing when you are staying there, so why does it have to be so painful & awkward making the reservation.
Needless to say I went ahead and booked via Agoda..... oh well.

Room Tip: The Queen Family room is great for a twin...it has a queen size bed and a king single..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Katrina M

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I genuinely appreciate your feedback rating and comments and have discussed them with my Senior Management Team. I apologise for the disappointment you experienced during the reservations process. I will surely be addressing this with our Reservation Manager.
Once again, thank you for your time.