“The Best Sleep I Have EVER Had”

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
The Villages, Florida
“The Best Sleep I Have EVER Had”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We spent 9 glorious nights at this hotel. I say glorious because I have never slept as well as I did at this hotel. I have a problem with my back, so normally I do not sleep well. This bed was so comfortable, I asked the hotel where they buy their beds and they told me it was a local bedmaker. I contacted them to purchase the same bed. Unfortunately, they do not ship to the United States. I was heartbroken.

Getting back to the hotel, we were upgraded to this quiet, corner, spacious suite at the end of the hallway with a view of the Yarra River. The living area was huge, as was the bathroom.

We used the Executive Lounge, which is also large, for most breakfasts and evening receptions. Most of the time, but not always, an egg dish was served. In the Lounge, just like the restaurant, there were fruits and vegetables to make your own juice. There was also a gluten-free bread tray with its own toaster located across the serving area to not be close to the gluten products. The service in the Lounge was impeccable.

We did eat a couple breakfasts in the hotel restaurant, which is all buffet style. The selections were innumerable and included omelets to order. The restaurant also had a juice station and a gluten-free area separate from the regular breads, pastries, and toaster.

The only negative experience was in the afternoon. We stopped in to have a light bite to eat. A server told us to sit anywhere. He then asked what we wanted. I said I didn't know and asked for a menu, which he promptly brought. We waited almost 15 minutes and he never returned. We never saw another server, so decided to leave. As we left, a young lady thanked us for coming in. We had to laugh, as we never ate or drank anything. We just sat and waited. I did contact the F&B manager, who was extremely apologetic and asked what he could do to make up for this negative experience.

One other thing about this beautiful hotel. It is connected to the Convention Center and next to the outlet mall. It is convenient to all the restaurants, bars, and shops along the Yarra River.

We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and rest well.

I sincerely apologise for the disappointed and the inconvenience at our Restaurant\Bar. I can assure you that this has been addressed with the Team Member involved.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf soon.

Rupert Hallam, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed for one night for a quick break away from home. The room was great and we had access to the Executive Lounge which was a nice touch with good snacks and drinks provided at no cost.

The room was great, nice view and comfortable bed.

The Bell Desk staff were great however the Front Desk staff have serious attitude. They act like they are doing you a favour! It amazes me how a major hotel would allow these type of people to work in the hospitality industry.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room and use the executive lounge for snacks and drinks.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team look after you well.

I genuinely apologise for the disappointment regarding our Front desk Team. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this in detail.
We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brisbane
Reviewed October 29, 2013

A lot of Hilton hotels rely on their brand name for patronage, however not so with south wharf ; their cosy foyer with the wood grain interior of earthy tones, extends through out the ground floor to the hotel buffet . Our city skyline river view was better than we expected . The best feature of the hotel,it is beside the Melbourne convention centre , just take the lift down to the first floor, go along the walkway and your in the main hall of the convention centre, so easy. The only negative I found, the bed was a little too soft, we thought the buffet breakfast was steep in price at $37 each, otherwise a wonderful stay...

Room Tip: The city side overlooking the river views are better..
2 Thank susy1Brisbane
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hobart
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Recently had the pleasure of staying at this Hotel during a recent trip to Melbourne. Friendly and helpful staff, very clean and well appointed rooms and handy location to Convention Centre, DFO and South Wharf Restaurants. Great view from room. Cino Cafe off lobby, great for a quick breakfast and decent coffee.
Mini Bar a bit overpriced on certain items, even by international higher star hotel standards.
In typical Hilton fashion, no complimentary in-room wi-fi unless Hilton Gold member. At average nightly rate being charged, should be included for all guests.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms to avoid small amount of traffic noise from nearby Westgate Freeway
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I appreciate your comments and have shared them with my Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Rupert Hallam. Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

at first i was a bit concerned about the location of this hilton (behind the westgate bridge and industrial melbourne) but with a city facing room you have the best view in the city.
the hotel was quite arty compared to other hiltons i have visited but still has the hilton class. bed was very comfy and bathrooms were great with both shower and bath in a standard room.

5 min walk to crown / southbank and plenty of entertainment / resturants/ bars near by.

the only complaint i have is that it is next to DFO which can take the luxury demeanor down a notch but again just have a look at that great city view and you will forget about it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your 10/10 review. I am glad you enjoyed your stayed with us and our Team looked after you well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,
Seattle
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here during a business conference that took place in the adjacent (and convenient) Melbourne Convention Centre, and I really loved the time I spent here! The staff were always helpful and nice, the food at the breakfast buffet was excellent, and my room was beautiful. The smart, modern design had all the amenities I'd expect, and some I didn't (like powered window blinds - yay). I was on the 14th floor in a corner room and the view, facing out towards the bay, was outstanding. The location in the renovated South Wharf area was great, and it was easy to walk a few minutes to the free city tram (#35) and get to wherever I needed in the city.

Highly recommend this option if you're visiting Melbourne!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and my Team look after you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights last week and was pleasantly surprised when I realised that I had access to the Melbourne Convention Centre without braving the Melbourne weather.
My room was impeccable - great décor, huge bathroom with a separate door to the toilet and of course everything was perfectly clean. The best thing was the bed - higher than usual and just so comfortable that I could have easily given my conference a miss and just stayed in there for two days and two nights!
A great feature were the block-out blinds that blocked out the bright lights from the shopping centre across the road. My room on the very end of the sixth floor was very quiet - a real oasis of peace.
I briefly contemplated watching an in-house movie, but the cost of $34+ per movie put me off that idea very quickly.
The location is perfect if you are attending a conference at the Melbourne Convention Centre. If I attended a conference there I would definitely stay at the Hilton again. If not, I'd probably choose something further along the river, around the Crown complex. In fact, I have only given this 5 start hotel 4 stars because while it is an outstanding hotel, I was missing something, and I can't put into words what it was. I think it may have been a welcoming atmosphere, though I must say everyone was perfectly polite. However, when I stayed at the Crown Metropol earlier this year I felt perfectly at home and comfortable, whereas this hotel didn't seem as warm.
One suggestion for the hotel management: there was a card on the bedside table that you could use to name a hotel employee who had stood out by doing an amazing job. My room attendant did a great job, but I did not know her name. If there had been a card with her name, I would certainly have filled in the card to let the hotel know what a great job she had done.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I genuinely appreciate your feedback rating and comments and have discussed them with my Team. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the Housekeeping Team Members name, I will surely address this with our Executive Housekeeper.

Thank you again for your time. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Rupert Hallam