“My number one choice”

Ranked #20 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“My number one choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Been here three times , rooms are quiet and I can sleep in and relax and now they have added the option of in house massage which is great
Love the breakfast and walking on south bank
Parking is just outside for 6 dollars an hour or 20/ day

• Stayed October 2013
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you very much for the 10/10 review.

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and everything went well! We really value all your support and loyalty.

Hope to see you soon…safe travels

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
moriac
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed in a Yarra Suite on the 11th floor for 2 nights. The room was excellent, bathroom sensational, esp. the views from the bath. Bed was very comfortable. Our view across the Melbourne skyline was exceptional. Access to the Executive Lounge was fantastic, well worth having.Having stayed in a few 5 star hotels, this would be one of the best.

Room Tip: Stayed in Yarra Suite, 11th floor, great position, great views, no noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the detailed 10/10 review.

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and everything was seamless.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels.

Rupert Hallam, Hotel Manager
South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed in a king room on the tenth floor. The room was very basic just a bed tv and shower room. My biggest disappointment was that the bed only had one sheet and a very thick dooner this was so hot that I didn't sleep much all night. Do they think I have to cool the room down to zero to sleep under covers.? The room has no opening windows and was very stuffy. I checked out the next day exhausted. The only place to eat is in the restaurant and I had a steak and that's all I got. The plate arrived with just a piece of meat on it and nothing else. The waiter never told me to order sides or salad so I expected the plate to have at least something as a side. Then when I asked for some veggies I was told that it would take twenty minutes! I eat what I had and they even cooked an order for medium well to raw medium. Overall given the lack of value for money the bad linen and lousy restaurant i give it a 1/10.
I would recommend going somewhere else in the precinct like crown towers or the casino.

Room Tip: Yes go elsewhere very disappointing
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced.

At Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and in order for us to investigate the matter in further detail, I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Thank you again for your time.

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

The room was modern, the bed was comfortable, but the air con was very noisy. The integrated packaged systems are normally quiet in most hotels,not these. I checked another room and
it was similar.Car park was out in the open. Location was good, easy to access.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed our service and facilities throughout your stay.
I deeply regret any inconvenience caused due to air conditioning. I can assure you I will have our Chief Engineer check the system.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will visit us again should your travels bring you back to Melbourne.

bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Booked in for 2 nights in Aug, room was very nice and free wifi in lobby was an added bonus.
Bed was very comfy, bath and shower very new and everything you need for a short break.
The area on the south wharf has a large shopping centre near and also some bars and restaurants, you can catch water taxi's up river and if not the walk is not far.
I'm only putting it at a 4 because the first night we got there, we were on our honeymoon and it was the first night...had a massive upsell on the rooms on the desk which was a little annoying after a 24 flight and then promised a nice bottle of champers on the house because we just got married. We thought the champers was a nice gesture, however it never arrived! Oh well...
Other than that it would have been a 5 star and if you get a good deal I would definitely stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I sincerely apologize for the disappointment & inconvenience at check in. I can assure you I will be discussing this in detail with our Front Office Manager.

Once again, thank you for your time. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here as a base to explore Melbourne and the hotel itself exceeded expectations. The concierge recommended great places to eat and were always willing to help. The rooms were fantastic and had a great view of the river. Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely appreciate your 10/10 review.

Glad to hear that that enjoyed the hotel and all its facilities.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you soon.
Menlo Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel turned out to be a very pleasant surprise and I absolutely enjoyed my stay there.

The room was clean, spacious, complete and had a wonderful view overlooking the Yarra river.

The work desk was big enough and I used the fixed internet connection, which worked fine. What I didn't like at all though is the 30 Australian dollar (AUD) charge a day. That is way too high. I am very disappointed a high-end Hilton hotel charges for this in the first place. It should be included in the room rate and certainly this kind of rate is unacceptable.

The office chair was adjustable, so it was quite comfortable to sit and work there for a longer period of time. There was also an in-room safe, but my 15" laptop did not fit in it.

I liked the modern style interior, but the room was somewhat on the dark side in the evening because there aren't that many lights.

The bed was very comfortable. It is one of those things that makes a difference between various hotels.

The bathroom was open and had a separate wash basin, shower, bath tub and toilet. The shower head had an annoying flaw though. I've seen this in other hotels too and I'm surprised this high-end hotel uses this system.

The problem is that the water pressure will push the shower head in a strange direction and I had to find a creative solution to direct it to the right place. A better and higher quality design should easily fix this. Another suggestion would be to add some more space to store things like a shampoo bottle, shaving cream, etc. The very small rack used was inadequate and the spacing was too wide, so the hotel provided small bottles kept on falling through.

Overall a great room though.

The breakfast buffer was really good and I loved the fresh made fruit juice. It pretty much has everything you could wish for, including eggs cooked to order and speciality coffees made fresh on order. Having said that, I think 37 AUD is a pretty high price.

Along those lines, I was appalled to get charged a whopping 9.50 AUD charge for a simple ice tea in the hotel bar. While my burger was reasonably priced, this high price blew me away. I asked the waiter since I thought a mistake had been made, but that was not the case. It felt like a scam, not worthy of a Hilton hotel.

The location is very good. Luckily the hotel itself is very quiet, but the lively city centre is within a 15-20 minute walking distance along the river. There are also some bars with simple food nearby.

Altogether a very pleasant stay and a great hotel, but I do hope the management re-considers their pricing policy for add ons like internet access, food and drinks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers.

I appreciate your detailed review and have shared your comments with my Team. I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand.
Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels