“Great hotel, location and staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #20 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Great hotel, location and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here as a base to explore Melbourne and the hotel itself exceeded expectations. The concierge recommended great places to eat and were always willing to help. The rooms were fantastic and had a great view of the river. Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Menlo Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel turned out to be a very pleasant surprise and I absolutely enjoyed my stay there.

The room was clean, spacious, complete and had a wonderful view overlooking the Yarra river.

The work desk was big enough and I used the fixed internet connection, which worked fine. What I didn't like at all though is the 30 Australian dollar (AUD) charge a day. That is way too high. I am very disappointed a high-end Hilton hotel charges for this in the first place. It should be included in the room rate and certainly this kind of rate is unacceptable.

The office chair was adjustable, so it was quite comfortable to sit and work there for a longer period of time. There was also an in-room safe, but my 15" laptop did not fit in it.

I liked the modern style interior, but the room was somewhat on the dark side in the evening because there aren't that many lights.

The bed was very comfortable. It is one of those things that makes a difference between various hotels.

The bathroom was open and had a separate wash basin, shower, bath tub and toilet. The shower head had an annoying flaw though. I've seen this in other hotels too and I'm surprised this high-end hotel uses this system.

The problem is that the water pressure will push the shower head in a strange direction and I had to find a creative solution to direct it to the right place. A better and higher quality design should easily fix this. Another suggestion would be to add some more space to store things like a shampoo bottle, shaving cream, etc. The very small rack used was inadequate and the spacing was too wide, so the hotel provided small bottles kept on falling through.

Overall a great room though.

The breakfast buffer was really good and I loved the fresh made fruit juice. It pretty much has everything you could wish for, including eggs cooked to order and speciality coffees made fresh on order. Having said that, I think 37 AUD is a pretty high price.

Along those lines, I was appalled to get charged a whopping 9.50 AUD charge for a simple ice tea in the hotel bar. While my burger was reasonably priced, this high price blew me away. I asked the waiter since I thought a mistake had been made, but that was not the case. It felt like a scam, not worthy of a Hilton hotel.

The location is very good. Luckily the hotel itself is very quiet, but the lively city centre is within a 15-20 minute walking distance along the river. There are also some bars with simple food nearby.

Altogether a very pleasant stay and a great hotel, but I do hope the management re-considers their pricing policy for add ons like internet access, food and drinks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers.

I appreciate your detailed review and have shared your comments with my Team. I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand.
Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was one of the best Hiltons we have been to. As a gold member we were upgraded to a room with superb views. The service was outstanding. Breakfast was excellent. When we returned from a tour too late for dinner we ate at the hotel restaurant. To our surprise it was outstanding. We had some of the best lamb we have had anywhere including Australia. We recommend it highly.

Room Tip: room with a view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for sharing your 10/10 experience with your fellow travelers.

I’m so glad you enjoyed you stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels…
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Easy to get to, nice, clean and modern..the best Hilton property in Melbourne. While not quite downtown, I never had to wait for a taxi to take me anywhere. The hotel is located right next to the convention center and has a large outlet shopping area, all within a 2-minute walk.

Luckily I was upgraded to an extremely spacious and very comfortable room. I believe the rooms facing downtown offer the best views of the city. The check-in staff were helpful and attentive.

There are a large number of restaurants in close proximity and quality and value consistently good. On-site restaurant is good with an excellent breakfast buffet.

The bed is fantastic..just the right firmness and the king size bed is large enough (2-meter tall) so I can easily fit onto it. All the expected bathroom amenities are available.

Bring your own power adaptors as all rooms are only equipped with standard Australian power outlets.

Executive lounge is very spacious and they provide the standard snacks and drinks throughout the day

This hotel has become my favourite to stay at in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Great views of downtown and the river area from even numbered rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 8, 2013

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed a night in Hilton Melbourne. Experience upon walking into the lobby and checking in was great. Wifi was provided free at the lobby area which was nice. The room we were given was also great, spacious with nice views of docklands.

A slight negative for us would be the very soft pillows. Pillows are subjective and different people would prefer different types. Unfortunately my husband woke up with a severe neck ache from the pillows being way too soft and that marred our experience slightly.

Parking at the hotel is in the open air carpark in front and it is $20 for hotel guests. We thought it was quite expensive even for hotel guests, as the hotel was not in the CBD area.

This hotel would be great for people who wish to be close to the city and enjoy the shopping offered at DFO South Wharf. The service provided was great and we still feel that it was good value for money. However, given the experience we had, we will need to consider returning in our next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Melbourne South Wharf.

I appreciate your feedback rating and comments. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with regards to the pillows in our room. I am not quite sure if you are aware, but we offer a wide range of pillows in our rooms. We have a detailed Pillow menu in our compendiums and you can order them through our MAGIC service.

I apologize if this was not communicated to you. And I hope this one off incident does not change your decision to stay with us in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kanu Mathur

Guest Relations Manager
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

As Hilton members, we stayed in the 2-bedroom executive suite. The rooms were fabulous - great view! The beds were soft and comfortable, and the room was clean and spacious. There were no complaints with the amount of amenities that were provided. Power adapters were provided so that we could recharge our electronics. That was very helpful!

The Executive lounge was superb, and the service by the staff was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Great hotel for a weekend away with girlfriends. Rooms are clean and spacious, the deep bath is very relaxing and the views over the city and Yarra are spectacular. The executive lounge was worth the extra money. I look forward to staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Really glad to read that you enjoyed your girls night out in the city!!

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences with your other fellow travelers.

Hope you enjoy your stay! Hope to see you soon….