“Reliable, no suprises and interesting art”

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #20 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Reliable, no suprises and interesting art”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

After booking tickets to a football game at nearby Etihad stadium, I decided to book a room for myself and two of my children, so we could watch the game and have a bit of a treat afterwards. We arrived a couple of hours earlier than check in and the staff were happy to allow us to check in early, which was handy, since we didn't want to drag our bags to the footy! The public art at this hotel was interesting and a bit out there, but was a nice change to the sometimes generic art you find at hotels. Look out for the piece behind reception, you will never look at a pot scrubber the same way again!
The room was lovely, clean and with plenty of room for the three of us. Modern and with full length windows to give us a great view of the Yarra in all its choclatey glory. The gym was a bit average and they have no pool, which is also a disappointment. However, the walk to Etihand was easy and a part of Melbourne we don't often see, just drive past. Breakfast was included and was a typical buffet breakfast, with a great selection of well displayed foods. A small thing, but for those of us who fear walking accidently into hotel or restaurant kitchens, the arrangement of the buffet was confusing as it looked from one side to be part of the kitchen. Check out was speedy and they didn't give us grief about our little old car. You wouldn't stay here for long, but for a quick stop over, its not too shabby.

Room Tip: Ask for a river or city view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with your fellow traveler.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I decided to stay here for a single night when attending a function at the nearby Melbourne Convention Centre. I am disappointed as for the price, I woud have been better off getting an expensive taxi home.
The room on the sixth floor had a view of another building thus no view to speak of.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very detailed review.

I really appreciate your comments and can assure you that I have shared them with my entire Senior Management Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I chose this hotel since it was next to the Exhibition Centre where I was attending an Expo. I can't really fault this hotel but it was lacking that WOW factor.
All the staff were excellent. The room was on the small side but had all the functionality one would want. The bathroom was excellent. I had access to the executive lounge which had a great balcony overlooking the Yarra. The executive lounge was adequate, but I was disappointed you couldn't get a proper coffee there in the morning.
The bar was good but seemed to lack people and atmosphere - maybe it was just the night I was there.
Overall this is an excellent hotel and the friendly staff made my stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a city view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Whanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Yet again,Hilton has provided me with another awesome hotel experience!
As a diamond member got upgraded to a Yarra Suite on arrival and couldn't fault the huge suite!
Amazing,large bed and lots of space with awesome views over Melbourne!

Probably the best executive lounge I've ever experienced and great staff!

Restaurants were pretty empty most of the time and rather typical of a business/convention orientated hotel,but no complaints with the meal I had on my first night!

Would definitely recommend for business,couples and solo travellers!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I really appreciate your review.

Thank you ever so much for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you well.

Thank you for all your support and loyalty.
Geelong
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and the view was magnificent, the rooms are large and modern. We had two children with us and the hotel catered extremely well to all our needs and were very helpful and friendly. There is a shopping outlet right next door and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I would recommend this hotel to families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I really appreciate your review.

Thank you for all your support and loyalty.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in February as part of a 3 week trip to Australia. This was by far our favourite hotel and is the best Hilton we have stayed in anywhere. I'm a gold member, so I've stayed in a few Hiltons in my time! The staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms are huge and the floor to ceiling windows really show off the stunning view of the river and the city. The bed is gorgeous and the bathroom is magnificent! We were upgraded to have access to the Executive Lounge, which was a delight too...it's a lovely spot for breakfast and evening drinks and the food is good quality and there is a great selection of items to choose from. We loved the outside balcony and made good use of it in the balmy Melbourne evenings. The location is great and everything is very accessible from the hotel. Both my husband and I were very impressed all round. Thank you for a great stay and we will be back when we next visit Melbourne!

Room Tip: Ask for a Yarra River and City view room on a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Baggage101
Thank you so much for your positive review !

Really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you ever so much for all your support and loyalty.

Safe travels.
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stay at the Hilton South Wharf a number of times each year and have never been disappointed.

The rooms are excellent as are the bathrooms.

I have almost always found the staff to be attentive and welcoming.

I have only eaten in the restaurant once at night (not this trip) and it was very good. I regularly eat breakfast in the restaurant and it is excellent.

I usually don't use the bar but on a couple of occasions recently I did and the service and ambience was good.

Executive Lounge is a nice retreat but the food is very predictable and not really that impressive.

Room rates vary greatly depending on occupancy - you can get great value at the Hilton at times - other times it is very expensive - twice recently I have stayed at other hotels due to the high rates at Hilton South Wharf (usually when there is something on at the Convention Centre).

My only really disappointment is that the wifi is usually very poor ... far too slow to use effectively.

Room Tip: Be aware that a Twin Room is actually 2 single beds .... if you want 3 in room make sure you book a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family