“Disappointing”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #20 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I expected so much from this hotel but was very disappointed. Ordinary service, very average food in the Executive Suite and in the breakfast buffet, dirty windows spoiling the view, front office staff not at all friendly and somewhat rude and impatient. I will never stay there again and would recommend others to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Select a different hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sonny_Hoy
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced.

At Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and in order for us to investigate the matter in further detail, I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Thank you again for your time.

There are newer reviews for Pan Pacific Melbourne

Reviewed February 25, 2013

From the moment you walk through the main door you have a sense of comfort. Staff greet you with a smile and a caring attitude. Check in is always as speedy as check out with extremely efficient and helpful staff. The rooms with their magnificient views are an experience but to add to the indulgence are the beds, feeling like you're on cloud nine! Meals are superb along with the service. Definitely a 10 out or 10 particularly the position with so much more to offer. Well done to all concerned.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for the 10/10 review.

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We really value your support and loyalty.

Hope to see you soon…safe travel

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I really wanted to enjoy this place but the hotel staff especially at concierge were extremely disappointing.

We booked a suite for our anniversary and were told that our room was not ready yet but were told that it would only be a few minutes.

20 minutes passed and we spoke to someone else who called up housekeeping and told us that there would be a 45 minute wait for our room! We asked to see the general manager who never came up to meet us.

Concierge staff tried to end our conversation quickly by telling us to just wait 5 more minutes - at this point we had been waiting an hour for our room. Again, no compensation offered. I have stayed at many hotels before and have been offered compensation for less.

After an hour and a half, plus an angry discussion about how we would miss our dinner reservations, we were told that the room was ready.
It was not.
Housekeeping were still in the room when we arrived, and did not leave for a further 15 minutes.

There was no real apology for this, only a "there was a technical malfunction, these things happen". The concierge I spoke with tried to end the conversation with that, and I had to ASK if there would be compensation.

The champagne offered for compensation never came. We had to bring it up casually in a conversation with the magic staff when asking about the spa room add-ons.

I have never been so shocked at hotel service in my life, and on such an important occasion. The hotel room wasn't good enough to make up for this lack of customer care.

We are still waiting after a week for our deposit to be refunded. Will not be going back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shasharie

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located within a short walk to the Melbourne Aquarium and numerous restaurants located along the Yarra river. The free tourist bus and the free circle city tram (route 35) have a pickup point approximately 700 meters from the hotel along the Yarra river. One would expect that the pickup location would be nearer the convention center. As for the hotel I was offered an upgrade for $75 which would provide the views other raters have mentioned but I declined since my purpose was not to spend my time in the hotel looking out the window. The beds are very comfortable and the staff accomodating. Check in and out were accomplished effortlessly but I would try and avoid the morning rush to get out of the hotel unless you don't mind standing in line and then waiting for a taxi. Overall the facility is clean and well maintained

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very detailed review.
I really appreciate your comments and can assure you that I have shared them with my entire Senior Management Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.
Safe travels…

Reviewed February 20, 2013

What a hotel. From the moment we pulled up in the taxi we were treated like VIPs. The staff throughout the hotel are incredibly friendly & helpful. The room we stayed in (King City View) was stunning with beautiful views overlooking the Yarra River & cityscape plus it also had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. My wife and I ended up changing our flights and staying an extra night because it was so good.

The location is ideal. It is easy to get on a tram and every stroll starts on the river. Plenty of places to eat and drink, shops next door, plus you get the spectacular views in the evening when the Crown Casino flame throwers go off.

The only fault I could find is that the TVs in the room are tiny considering the rooms are so big. Watching tennis highlights was not easy from 12ft away. :-)

Room Tip: Get a City View on the upper floors. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I sincerely appreciate your comments and have shared them with my Team. Regarding your feedback about the size to the Televisions we will take this into account in our future refurbishments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon on your next travel down under.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night in a deluxe king. The room was excellent. It was spacious, clean and modern. The bathroom was big and had included a good size bath.

The service was very friendly but the staff lack the professionalism to make this an outstanding hotel. There was a line up at check in with only two staff on duty, and one them was manning the phones in between checking in guests. In my view took too long to check in.

When walking to the lift a bell boy ran a bag over my wires foot - he seemed to be in la la land and just didn't see her.

As Hilton Gold I had access to the exec lounge. Our keys didn't work to access the lounge, even though they were branded executive lounge keys. Check in had not cut them correctly. The selection of snacks was very limited in the executive lounge, in the morning the coffee machine was on the blink. It was a nescaffe machine that just couldn't handle the load.

We dined at the hotel restaurant Nuevo37. Staff here were once again genuinely friendly but they seemed to be a little to casual and unrefined - a better fit to be in a cafe rather then this restaurant.

I give this hotel a 3 out of 5. It was OK but it did not quite meet my expectations.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BKVIV

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I appreciate all your comments and have discussed them with my senior management team.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future to experience if for yourself.

Safe travels..

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Love the Magic Button for phone assistance. One button to rule them all !!!. Instead of a list of numbers to remember for each service , they had one button where you could get any service done. Loved the concept.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the fantastic review.
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us especially our MAGIC services!!