“Affordable quality in a good location”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #22 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Hilton South Wharf was a nice surprise. In location, comfort, style and service the hotel exceeded expectations and was particularly good value for the price I paid on an internet booking site. The staff had noted the comment I made on my booking form that I was bringing my wife to Melbourne for her birthday, and had provided us with an upgrade, a room with a fabulous view of the city, the Yarra River and Southbank, and a complimentary bottle of wine. The staff were particularly pleasant and helpful.

My single criticism of the hotel is its lack of a swimming pool. They must have had their reasons for leaving it out of the design, but I think it was an error of judgement.

Room Tip: Ask for something with a view of the city on the eastern side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

I really appreciate your review.

Thank you ever so much for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you well.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels

Write a ReviewReviews (3,830)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Whilst this is part of a big hotel chain, you are maid to feel very welcome and treated as an individual. Service is great the decor is comfortable and the rooms are very comfortable and provide great sleeping conditions. It is close to Southbank and right on the doorstep of DFO. I thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf and taking the time to write your review! So glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Well done again Hilton you lived up to the quality and service that you are renowned for.
Travelled for one night only and the accommodation was perfect.
Very close to everything and the added bonus of a great restaurant and bar.
Will be staying again for those special nights and highly recommend the city view rooms.

Room Tip: Book a city view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I really appreciate your review.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked a Yarra Suite for 3 nights on wotif for the weekend - have stayed in many a Hilton so had a reasonable expectation. Have to stay this hotel exceeded in every way and made my birthday weekend very special indeed. From Craig the conceigne who made numerous fantastic recommendations and two dinner bookings that were out of this world, through to the wonderful girl in the business club full of great tips and friendly service! The suite was spacious, the bed heavanly and the view stunning. We were a little worried about location but nothing was far, convienence store downstairs, DFO Mall next door, several nice bars and cafes couple minutes walk through to the CBD only 15 mins walk and South Bank under 10 minutes. Only reason rated cleanliness very good not excellent was hallways needed bit of care but rooms exceptionally clean. Well back again!

Room Tip: Yarra Suites are a corner suite, very roomy, sperate walkin closet, sperate toilet, sperate lounge a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your Birthday weekend with us. So glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton for 1 night with my hubby as we were seeing a play at the Art Centre and thought we'd make a night of it. The location is fabulous being a short stroll to Southbank.

Overall the room, bathroom products, tea and coffee provided were great. It is a Hilton so the cost of mini bar extra would make you faint but we knew that going in so didn't use those facilities. My disappointment was with the bathroom. It has an awkward door situation going on in such a small space. The door for the showing opens into the shower which is a bit inconvenient if like me you like to turn on the shower and get the water to the right temperature before getting in. Because the shower has no lip on it and a grate drain it doesn't service two people at the same time. We flooded the bathroom. A cavity door would have solved the toilet door intruding so much into the small space also.

My other disappointment was with the inconsistency of service from the staff. When we booked in there was no directions to where the elevator was located or which restaurant breakfast would be in in the morning, or instructions to use the key card in the lift. Simple things but we'd just stayed at the Emporium Hotel in Brisbane a couple of weeks before and their service had been so great it really highlighted the contrast to me.

On a bright note the breakfast was amazing. Fantastic array of choices for everyone and fresh and delicious food provided. Great ending to our stay and the staff in the restaurant were super attentive and lovely too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the fantastic review.

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us overall. Regarding your comment about the service levels, at Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and in order for us to investigate the matter in further detail, I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed for a few nights as we were attending an Expo next door.
Great location; super helpful concierge who held all our boxes, bags, banners ... breakfast was included in our rate and featured a huge yummy selection. Wish I had the time and stomach to sample it all.
We had an amazing rate for a king room, so we weren't expecting a great view but it was lovely - looking to Southbank.
The bed was perfect - soft on top, firm under; the big bath was such a welcome relief ... bliss!
Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Closest to Exhibition Centre
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

I sincerely appreciate your good review.

Glad to hear that that enjoyed the hotel and its location, next to the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This property served all of our needs on our Australian Open tennis stay. We enjoyed the seclusion of this hotel and the wonderful river view that our room offered. There are some excellent coffee bars and restaurants nearby. We enjoyed watching the crown hotels fire tower show that stretches down the river every night at 10 and 11 pm. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are very clean and sleek. We had continuous key card problems during our stay-- not only with our room but when using the workout facility. We had to use the "MAGIC" button many times- including many trips back and forth to the lobby for assistance-- not a 5 star moment at this gracious hotel. I was able to tour the executive lounge which was very nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very detailed review.

I really appreciate your comments and can assure you that I have shared them with my entire Senior Management Team. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding your room keys. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.

Hope to see you soon…safe travel