“Great new hotel and location”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #22 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed in an upper level relaxation suite, wasn't cheap but room was awesome and worth it for a special occasion. It has a fantastic view of the river, floor to ceiling windows with an open plan living area, walk in robe, large bathroom with spa and large bedroom. We also had access to the private lounge for drinks and canopies. Espresso machine located at your mini bar for a morning pick me up too. South wharf shopping centre is directly below the hotel also.

• Stayed: August 2012
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,835)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Loved my stay at this Hilton. The front desk was always friendly and helpful. The room was Hilton standard, with a great view. The bathroom was very nice, with a large walk-in shower and separate large tub.

The executive lounge is a highlight. Great view, good food mornings and evenings. I enjoyed the juice machine, with a big plate of veggies cut up and ready to juice each morning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you so much for all your support and loyalty of our hotel and Hilton in general.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our Executive Lounge.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very comfortable up to date rooms and efficient staff. Located right on the wharf and connected to the convention center. Many good restaurants and a casino within walking distance. High end and you pay for it. Although I am still baffled by the practice in Australia's high end properties, WiFi is extra and expensive, as is most other amenities. Buffet breakfast is $40, but if you walk a couple feet from the hotel, you will find much better deals

• Stayed: October 2012

I sincerely appreciate your review.

Glad to hear that that enjoyed the hotel and its location. The hotel is in a very good spot, walking distance to the city and Docklands. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I liked staying here. the cost of the room was a little pricy about 200 dollars at the time... I was in May 2011 for a conference. The hotel really liked to take their piece of the pie.

If you like gambling there was a casino about 5 min walk away

trip to the airport was about 60 dollars at the time (one way)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you soon on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Spent one night here over a weekend in August. It was my first visit to the Hilton, and although general aspects of the hotel experience was excellent, I felt underwhelmed by little things that matter when it comes to 5-star hotels.

I arrived at 5.30pm, and found the reception too busy downstairs, so I headed straight up to the executive lounge. The desk was unattended, but served quite immediately when a staff member noticed us waiting at the desk. Check-in was swift and efficient. However I had no idea about this hotel as I was staying there for the first time. Given we booked the executive room, the staff member welcomed us to come back to enjoy the evening canapes. However there was no further explanation about the entitlements with executive lounge access i.e. breakfast hours, opening hours. In addition, when we arrived we found a great addition of 2 massage therapists performing seated massage. However we had no idea about how it works, and it would have been nice if some sort of signage or explanation whether it be printed or verbal would be appreciated.

Whilst it was nice to have the massage service there, but I found little personal benefit out of the massage per say, and would say I would not do it again eventhough it was free. I suppose I understand that it was not set up to be a remedial/therapeutic service, but it is a catch 22 if the clients do not find enjoyment out of it, what's the point?

I enjoyed the bathroom amenities and quality of the beddings including linen and pillows. The breakfast spread was excellent, although it was a bit difficult finding our way there, and I think it would have been nice to have some directions in place, or perhaps a print-out in the room to direct your guests to the breakfast area. I looked through the hotel information compendium, there was no information on hours of service for executive lounge and similarly no information on where the hotel breakfast buffet was served. When I called MAGIC, the girl said that the restaurant is in the lobby, but I found it not quite the lobby proper.

I really liked the location of this hotel in relation to the convention centre, and DFO shopping centre. Otherwise, without a car, trams are a 10 minute walk away. Check-out was also professional but there was slight lack in warmth and courtesy and it would have been nice to ask your clients if they enjoyed their stay. Concierge was helpful and excellent.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay, but little things do matter to me, as a frequent hotel traveller, and I feel that Hilton South Wharf fell short of that great experience.

Tip: Carpark in DFO just adjacent costs $28 for 24 hour period. Hotel stamp reduces cost of parking to $20, and shopping in DFO reduces the parking fee down to $6 for 24 hour period.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the city view room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback and have shared this with my Team. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your time. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights in late October whilst attending a conference at MCEC. My colleague and I had problems checking in and checking out. When checking in we were told that they had only guaranteed payment via the company credit card, and therefore deducted payments from our personal accounts. Our director had to come into the hotel to sort this out. On check out the staff member informed us that check-in had been processed incorrectly. For some reason they needed to then refund my deposit in cash, which I then had to leave at the hotel for safe keeping whilst at the conference. Desk staff were friendly but this process was frustrating, as it took around 30 mins both times!

Despite these problems the room was very nice. Simple on first impressions, but high quality finishings. Bathroom was excellent, as were provided bathroom products. Bed would probably be the most comfortable I have ever experienced! Electric blackout blinds were very useful, ensuring a good sleep. The view from the 15th floor overlooking southbank was spectacular.

I ordered room service on the first night. Took a little while to come- 30-40 mins but was quite nice, and filled me up. It was a shame that the waiter who delivered it was quite unfriendly- I don't think he said a word to me.

Overall, nice hotel and very convenient for attendees of events at the MCEC. Well appointed rooms and generally professional and polite staff. Check-in/check-out process needs to be streamlined.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I sincerely apologize for the delay you experienced with regards to the billing.

I am glad however that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I tagged along to my husbands work conference in Melbourne, and we were fortunate enough to be in a King Yarra Suite for 5 days. Yes the views are all that and we were thrilled to see the hot air balloons and rowing eights going up the river. I loved the aesthetic of the suite, wood grain finish etc, however the lack of shutting doors allowed the active toddler to fully circuit the suite, unimpeded. On that note, we were quite smug getting the portacot to fit into the walk in wardrobe, allowing us all a good night sleep (kiwi ingenuity at its best).
Not a criticism of the Hilton at all, but I realised I love being able to open a window, which of course wasn't possible at this hotel. I mastered the coffee machine, so was the "busty barista" for the duration of our stay and we appreciated the espresso each morning. The service on the Magic Button was sporadic, sometimes I had to wait 5 minutes, which is an oxymoron surely?

Easy 10 to 15 minute stroll into the city centre and there was an IGA close by for supplies and a handy store next to the Hotel. The DFO was a handy spot so close to the hotel for shopping.

I was annoyed that we didn't get access to the Lounge, but realised that an active toddler would have spoilt that experience, so c'est la vie.....

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your home away from home for 5 nights.

The King Yarra Suites are really spacious especially when travelling with a young family. Glad you liked the amenities in your room specially the coffee machine.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope you will visit us again should your travels bring you back to Melbourne.