“Worth a good consideration!”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #21 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Spent one night here over a weekend in August. It was my first visit to the Hilton, and although general aspects of the hotel experience was excellent, I felt underwhelmed by little things that matter when it comes to 5-star hotels.

I arrived at 5.30pm, and found the reception too busy downstairs, so I headed straight up to the executive lounge. The desk was unattended, but served quite immediately when a staff member noticed us waiting at the desk. Check-in was swift and efficient. However I had no idea about this hotel as I was staying there for the first time. Given we booked the executive room, the staff member welcomed us to come back to enjoy the evening canapes. However there was no further explanation about the entitlements with executive lounge access i.e. breakfast hours, opening hours. In addition, when we arrived we found a great addition of 2 massage therapists performing seated massage. However we had no idea about how it works, and it would have been nice if some sort of signage or explanation whether it be printed or verbal would be appreciated.

Whilst it was nice to have the massage service there, but I found little personal benefit out of the massage per say, and would say I would not do it again eventhough it was free. I suppose I understand that it was not set up to be a remedial/therapeutic service, but it is a catch 22 if the clients do not find enjoyment out of it, what's the point?

I enjoyed the bathroom amenities and quality of the beddings including linen and pillows. The breakfast spread was excellent, although it was a bit difficult finding our way there, and I think it would have been nice to have some directions in place, or perhaps a print-out in the room to direct your guests to the breakfast area. I looked through the hotel information compendium, there was no information on hours of service for executive lounge and similarly no information on where the hotel breakfast buffet was served. When I called MAGIC, the girl said that the restaurant is in the lobby, but I found it not quite the lobby proper.

I really liked the location of this hotel in relation to the convention centre, and DFO shopping centre. Otherwise, without a car, trams are a 10 minute walk away. Check-out was also professional but there was slight lack in warmth and courtesy and it would have been nice to ask your clients if they enjoyed their stay. Concierge was helpful and excellent.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay, but little things do matter to me, as a frequent hotel traveller, and I feel that Hilton South Wharf fell short of that great experience.

Tip: Carpark in DFO just adjacent costs $28 for 24 hour period. Hotel stamp reduces cost of parking to $20, and shopping in DFO reduces the parking fee down to $6 for 24 hour period.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the city view room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you so much for your review.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback and have shared this with my Team. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your time. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights in late October whilst attending a conference at MCEC. My colleague and I had problems checking in and checking out. When checking in we were told that they had only guaranteed payment via the company credit card, and therefore deducted payments from our personal accounts. Our director had to come into the hotel to sort this out. On check out the staff member informed us that check-in had been processed incorrectly. For some reason they needed to then refund my deposit in cash, which I then had to leave at the hotel for safe keeping whilst at the conference. Desk staff were friendly but this process was frustrating, as it took around 30 mins both times!

Despite these problems the room was very nice. Simple on first impressions, but high quality finishings. Bathroom was excellent, as were provided bathroom products. Bed would probably be the most comfortable I have ever experienced! Electric blackout blinds were very useful, ensuring a good sleep. The view from the 15th floor overlooking southbank was spectacular.

I ordered room service on the first night. Took a little while to come- 30-40 mins but was quite nice, and filled me up. It was a shame that the waiter who delivered it was quite unfriendly- I don't think he said a word to me.

Overall, nice hotel and very convenient for attendees of events at the MCEC. Well appointed rooms and generally professional and polite staff. Check-in/check-out process needs to be streamlined.

• Stayed: October 2012
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I sincerely apologize for the delay you experienced with regards to the billing.

I am glad however that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I tagged along to my husbands work conference in Melbourne, and we were fortunate enough to be in a King Yarra Suite for 5 days. Yes the views are all that and we were thrilled to see the hot air balloons and rowing eights going up the river. I loved the aesthetic of the suite, wood grain finish etc, however the lack of shutting doors allowed the active toddler to fully circuit the suite, unimpeded. On that note, we were quite smug getting the portacot to fit into the walk in wardrobe, allowing us all a good night sleep (kiwi ingenuity at its best).
Not a criticism of the Hilton at all, but I realised I love being able to open a window, which of course wasn't possible at this hotel. I mastered the coffee machine, so was the "busty barista" for the duration of our stay and we appreciated the espresso each morning. The service on the Magic Button was sporadic, sometimes I had to wait 5 minutes, which is an oxymoron surely?

Easy 10 to 15 minute stroll into the city centre and there was an IGA close by for supplies and a handy store next to the Hotel. The DFO was a handy spot so close to the hotel for shopping.

I was annoyed that we didn't get access to the Lounge, but realised that an active toddler would have spoilt that experience, so c'est la vie.....

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your home away from home for 5 nights.

The King Yarra Suites are really spacious especially when travelling with a young family. Glad you liked the amenities in your room specially the coffee machine.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope you will visit us again should your travels bring you back to Melbourne.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here for the first time for a conference being held next door at convention centre. Deceptively restrained exterior in strange location dockside, reception area fitted out with art horses for Spring Cup carnival. Rooms well appointed and very roomy, bathrooms also plenty of room. Bed quite high but no issue for me. Large windows overlooking freeway and some of dock area from 13th floor. I think my room may have been upgraded to king bed rather than basic 2 beds.
Had breakfast one morning with discounted rate for special accommodation booking - plenty of food to choose from. Had bar drinks & snack once, price of tapas-style food horrendously expensive.
Great location for convention centre and short walk along Southbank to Crown and riverside restaurants. Free tourist tram stop on other side of dock with short walk & bridge. Easy walk to Docklands area & stadium. Nice place to stay for convention centre and no chance of getting wet in transit.

Room Tip: some rooms will have better views depending which way windows face, but I can't give you which n...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

I really appreciate your comments and can assure you that I have shared them with my entire Senior Management Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Safe travels…

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just spent a night at this hotel whilst in Melbourne attending a wedding at South Wharf.
From the arrival to the departure this hotel is everything that it purports to be - great service, great staff, great room, great food - highly recommended and would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Don't worry about paying extra for a city view room, the view over the docklands is still pretty...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon…

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed for a business conference attended by my partner while I took the opportunity for sightseeing and relaxing. We normally stay in much cheaper places so it was great that all the staff had been put here, above Melbourne Convention Centre. I can't make comparisons with similar rated hotels, but as an unusual treat, it was everything I expected. Super-comfy bed, top-flight toiletries, the works.

If you like to wake with the light, then you need to leave the blinds open a little; they are very effective blackout blinds. Great city views from that side of the hotel; I recorded the gas flare display outside Crown from our sixth floor window.

There is ready access to trams, with the free City Circle running just over the river and other trams a short walk as far as Crown. Melbourne is moving to Myki cards for all public transport, and visitor Myki packs are being rolled out to hotel concierges as the old MetCard system is phased out (I've done my research; check the situation with hotel staff when you're there).

We went to the bar a couple of times; the bar/restaurant areas seemed a little soulless and not particularly busy, unlike the growing selection of bars and restaurants at South Wharf.

The lobby is quite dark; that and/or the tinting on the inner sliding doors meant that, as you approached them from the outside, you couldn't see where you were heading or whether you were about to walk into someone.

We'd stay again for a treat, but we're normally satisfied with cheaper places, so it won't become our permanent Melbourne base.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

I really hope we see you soon on your next trip to Melbourne.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights recently on a child free weekend away and enjoyed our stay very much. Initially I thought the room a little ordinary (it was a standard room but wasn't cheap) but after being in the room for a bit I came to appreciate it more. The bed and linen were lovely and the bathroom was also very nice with a wonderful shower and deep and long separate bath and the room also had a nice feel to it, not too "businessy" like some of these hotels can be. We also really loved the Peter Thomas Roth amenities and the electric blinds were great for blocking out all light. We would definitely consider staying here again. The Melbourne DFO is right next to the hotel with great baragins to be found and we also really enjoyed a restuarant called The Sharing House not far to the back of the hotel next to the river.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Really appreciate your comments!

Glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and all our facilities.

We hope to see you soon.