“Corporate Tag-along”

Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
“Corporate Tag-along”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I tagged along to my husbands work conference in Melbourne, and we were fortunate enough to be in a King Yarra Suite for 5 days. Yes the views are all that and we were thrilled to see the hot air balloons and rowing eights going up the river. I loved the aesthetic of the suite, wood grain finish etc, however the lack of shutting doors allowed the active toddler to fully circuit the suite, unimpeded. On that note, we were quite smug getting the portacot to fit into the walk in wardrobe, allowing us all a good night sleep (kiwi ingenuity at its best).
Not a criticism of the Hilton at all, but I realised I love being able to open a window, which of course wasn't possible at this hotel. I mastered the coffee machine, so was the "busty barista" for the duration of our stay and we appreciated the espresso each morning. The service on the Magic Button was sporadic, sometimes I had to wait 5 minutes, which is an oxymoron surely?

Easy 10 to 15 minute stroll into the city centre and there was an IGA close by for supplies and a handy store next to the Hotel. The DFO was a handy spot so close to the hotel for shopping.

I was annoyed that we didn't get access to the Lounge, but realised that an active toddler would have spoilt that experience, so c'est la vie.....

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your home away from home for 5 nights.

The King Yarra Suites are really spacious especially when travelling with a young family. Glad you liked the amenities in your room specially the coffee machine.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope you will visit us again should your travels bring you back to Melbourne.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here for the first time for a conference being held next door at convention centre. Deceptively restrained exterior in strange location dockside, reception area fitted out with art horses for Spring Cup carnival. Rooms well appointed and very roomy, bathrooms also plenty of room. Bed quite high but no issue for me. Large windows overlooking freeway and some of dock area from 13th floor. I think my room may have been upgraded to king bed rather than basic 2 beds.
Had breakfast one morning with discounted rate for special accommodation booking - plenty of food to choose from. Had bar drinks & snack once, price of tapas-style food horrendously expensive.
Great location for convention centre and short walk along Southbank to Crown and riverside restaurants. Free tourist tram stop on other side of dock with short walk & bridge. Easy walk to Docklands area & stadium. Nice place to stay for convention centre and no chance of getting wet in transit.

Room Tip: some rooms will have better views depending which way windows face, but I can't give you which n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

I really appreciate your comments and can assure you that I have shared them with my entire Senior Management Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Safe travels…
Wamberal, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just spent a night at this hotel whilst in Melbourne attending a wedding at South Wharf.
From the arrival to the departure this hotel is everything that it purports to be - great service, great staff, great room, great food - highly recommended and would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Don't worry about paying extra for a city view room, the view over the docklands is still pretty...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the fantastic review! I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon…
Bungendore, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a business conference attended by my partner while I took the opportunity for sightseeing and relaxing. We normally stay in much cheaper places so it was great that all the staff had been put here, above Melbourne Convention Centre. I can't make comparisons with similar rated hotels, but as an unusual treat, it was everything I expected. Super-comfy bed, top-flight toiletries, the works.

If you like to wake with the light, then you need to leave the blinds open a little; they are very effective blackout blinds. Great city views from that side of the hotel; I recorded the gas flare display outside Crown from our sixth floor window.

There is ready access to trams, with the free City Circle running just over the river and other trams a short walk as far as Crown. Melbourne is moving to Myki cards for all public transport, and visitor Myki packs are being rolled out to hotel concierges as the old MetCard system is phased out (I've done my research; check the situation with hotel staff when you're there).

We went to the bar a couple of times; the bar/restaurant areas seemed a little soulless and not particularly busy, unlike the growing selection of bars and restaurants at South Wharf.

The lobby is quite dark; that and/or the tinting on the inner sliding doors meant that, as you approached them from the outside, you couldn't see where you were heading or whether you were about to walk into someone.

We'd stay again for a treat, but we're normally satisfied with cheaper places, so it won't become our permanent Melbourne base.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

I really hope we see you soon on your next trip to Melbourne.
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights recently on a child free weekend away and enjoyed our stay very much. Initially I thought the room a little ordinary (it was a standard room but wasn't cheap) but after being in the room for a bit I came to appreciate it more. The bed and linen were lovely and the bathroom was also very nice with a wonderful shower and deep and long separate bath and the room also had a nice feel to it, not too "businessy" like some of these hotels can be. We also really loved the Peter Thomas Roth amenities and the electric blinds were great for blocking out all light. We would definitely consider staying here again. The Melbourne DFO is right next to the hotel with great baragins to be found and we also really enjoyed a restuarant called The Sharing House not far to the back of the hotel next to the river.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Really appreciate your comments!

Glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and all our facilities.

We hope to see you soon.
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recently we stayed in one of the apartments with our 10 month old, and all I can say was that it was another magical stay for the family. The staff were more than accommodating for my wife and child (as i had work commitments on during part of the stay). We dined in the restaurant for an evening and also had breakfast each morning at the buffet, and each time the staff were great! They got us what we needed and entertained our daughter in between - this was a real surprise to me an unexpected from the staff - but they went beyond their job description, and well done to the management.

Obviously i stay at the Hilton quite a lot, but this has been only the second time with my family due to work commitments, and when my wife was keen to stay here for the second time - they obviously left a good impression.

Additionally, concierge was great, offering dine-in and take away suggestions for the family, and all worked out a treat!

Housekeeping was excellent too, and each morning when we were at breakfast we came back to a clean room - talk about doing the rounds discreatley1 Well done to the whole crew, and I definitely recommend this hotel for business or for a holiday, even with a young family.

Travel Cots are available at no extra charge too.

Room Tip: In my opiinion all rooms have a good view over Melbourne
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Broncos4Eva
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. I am glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I find Australian hotels very hit and miss, especially compared to travelling in Asia, where the high level of service and things like complimentary WIFI are usually a given. However, I am happy to report the Hilton South Wharf is of an extremely high standard with excellent service.
The rooms are very modern, and the dark wood decor is not only stylish but has a nice, Australian feel. Rooms overlooking the river have a spectacular view of the Yarra River and casino complex. It's particularly enchanting at sunset while relaxing on the comfortable sofa.
I'm happy to see the bathrooms feature a deep tub as well as a separate walk-in shower. It seems a trend for hotels to do away with the bath, but this is a really important feature for me, to relax after a long day of sightseeing. The bathroom was impeccable, though housekeeping could really do a bit more to prevent mould or ugly orange dirt from appearing in the tile grout, but that's me being very picky. As others have said, the bed is delightfully comfortable. The desk area is adequate and there is plenty of storage space, such as wardrobes and cupboards.
TVs have a limited selection of cable channels, but international guests could really be catered to more by providing some channels in other languages. The complimentary tea selection is excellent, and there is good Italian coffee with a plunger. Very nice to enjoy while enjoying the morning river view after a very restful sleep. The electric blackout blinds ensure guests have a restful sleep-- they are just fabulous. Rooms are also excellently soundproofed-- I could hear nothing but silence. Bliss.
I tried the Spanish restaurant that is part of the hotel but was not impressed. While the service was fine, the paella was quite bland. However, there are many other excellent restaurants nearby, including a fabulous Japanese izakaya and many fine dining and casual options at the casino.
Breakfast buffet was extensive but unfortunately did not feature any international selections to cater to guests from around the world. It was basically just an American breakfast. This is unfortunate, given the fact that the Hilton South Wharf meets all other international standards.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay here on any future trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bimdonesia
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared all your comments with my Senior Management Team.

Safe travels…