“A good stay - but I was dissapointed ...”

Pan Pacific Melbourne
Ranked #21 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hi,

I stayed back here in August to celebrate my birthday, I live in Melbourne and have stayed at HSW many times to get away from it all.

I normally love the hotel but this time I was left disapointed. On check in I was asked why I was staying and I advised to celebrate my birthday, with that they said they would send something up, that never come.

I was staying in a exec room and a hilton member, and had access to the lounge. I went up for drinks and found the lounge very very full, I think a look of people had been upgraded and it spoiled it, because of this service was not up to par as they were very busy.

I am sure I will stay again but it was not up to it normal standard. I hope it is better next time.

C Weston

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced.

At Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and in order for us to investigate the matter in further detail, I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife & I stay there both together & separately whilst on business, and a glowing review is long overdue. The location is just superb, with easy access in/out of Melbourne. The room service, both in terms of the food quality & wait times is world class. The rooms are contemporary, welcoming, superbly finished, and depending on the room you book, the views are just amazing. The 'Magic' button on the in-room phone makes everything you need or want a simple task, and the phone is always answered promptly. Valet has proven to be 100% reliable, unlike other hotels in Melbourne. It pays to be a Hilton Honors member, as it ensures you are serviced in a manner that is tailored to your specific needs. The Executive Lounge is just brilliant & very highly recommended. If you are staying in Melbourne, this Hotel ranks in my top three. It is truly wonderful and most importantly, CONSISTENT!

Room Tip: Every room is brilliant, but I recommend treating yourself to the Relaxation Suite & making full...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and all its facilities.

See you soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are comfy, views great, restaurants and bars excellent. But it's customer service that really sets this hotel apart. Nothing was too much trouble. Even my 2am visit to the reception desk in search of antacid and a glass of milk for a husband who'd had too much fun at the Casino was met with professional aplomb. A special mention goes to Nicholas at the bar who remembered our names every time and made an awesome Bloody Mary. Okay you're a few minutes walk from the city, but ask about the trams and it's easy. Plus with the DFO next door, who needs the city anyway? This is without a doubt our number 1 pick for Melbourne.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Firstly, I'd like to thank Hilton for a complimentary upgrade to a city view 2brm suite. It was much appreciated.

Initially I booked with the in hotel booking office & was informed of the upgrade then & there. As a diamond HH member, I felt I was treated very well & found the booking process fantastic. I later extended our stay via the USA based diamond desk. The booking went through seamlessly in the same room for the whole stay.

Arrived to a mediocre welcome that soon changed when the receptionist acknowledged my diamond status & rather comically decided to flaunt it for all its worth (on his part), still it was funny & made me smile!

The room was as expected (we had stayed in this suite type before when the hotel first opened)... a lovely large 2 bedroom suite with kitchenette & gorgeous bathrooms (2). Amazing floor to ceiling windows with sheer curtains & complete block-out electronic blinds. Large sofa, 2 flat screen tv's, stereo, dvd & table/chairs in lovely warm tones & lovely muted natural decor. However the beds were not made up to our long standing request of no synthetics (daughter has an allergy) but that was very quickly rectified. The Hilton dream beds are just that - glorious clouds of fluffy feathers/down. Beds are so comfy I intend on purchasing the bed-toppers.

Our trip to Melbourne was a special trip for my young son who adores the trams & who was turning 9 the next day. Upon returning to our room after dinner on the first night we found a lovely birthday card from the GM Brett Christ, a large bag of sweets & a small birthday cake with candle. Needless to say it was a lovely gesture, much enjoyed by the kids! :-))))

Concierge are a wonderful bunch of blokes - so knowledgeable & very attentive. We were given complimentary tickets to the Grand Designs expo next door which was fantastic as we had planned to go anyway & I'm a huge fan of Kevin McCloud :-) Must make a mention of Chris, Sam & Daniel. They really know their stuff. Chris recommended we try a French restaurant he frequents and we are so pleased we did - so memorable & will definitely be on our must do again.

I used valet parking for our whole stay - whilst it's very convenient, I feel it is priced well above what it should be. Most other Hiltons charge approx $30 - $35.

The executive lounge is huge (compared to Adelaide & HOP)... fabulous service, good variety of breakfast offerings, nice evening canapés & friendly staff (especially Nitin, Claire & Alice) Thank you for making our stay that little bit more enjoyable.

The only downside I have are the restaurants: Sotano is just ok, passable but nothing to write home about. Cocktails were drinkable but bland. When paying an average $25 per drink you'd expect some bling or decoration. My cocktail looked like sloppy mud in a martini glass - no effort put into it at all. Wines are a hit or miss... again nothing spectacular, particularly as they market themselves as a tapas & wine bar!!! The tapas was blah & you could tell most of it was pre-packaged. I doubt anything was freshly made in-house. Cheap supermarket quality tomato sauce, mayonnaise & mustard - laughable! How hard is it to make mayonnaise??????

Now for the big one.... Nuevo 37.... ummmm. If I really let loose this review would not get printed.

Service is a joke. 15 minutes to be given a menu, another 10 minutes for a drinks list (which was comically basic), 30 minutes to give me an extended cocktail menu, another 20 minutes to actually receive my drink (after our entree's had been served). I was getting very irritated & reviews below highlighting the extremely poor state of service is true.

We ordered Pate as an entree - we did not get freshly prepared pate (it was defrosted, as evidenced by the cracks & discolouration). My daughter is training to be a chef & I'm a diehard foodie so we know when something is frozen & thawed. The waiter reckoned it was made fresh that morning - I told him it was not & showed him why I said what I did. He backed off with his tail between his legs (or so to speak).

Next fiasco... I recommend staying clear of the steak as the cook (no way are any of the kitchen staff fully trained chef's) absolutely butchered mine. Medium rare ended up being an over cooked, unrested, blood spurting mess. I felt ill looking at it & lost my appetite instantly. A part of the steak had been over cooked so it was chopped off & plonked on top of the other piece of steak!!!!! My daughters fish "n" chips were ok, just - fish horribly overcooked. Sons spaghetti was good - he's a connoisseur of spaghetti bolognaise & loved it.

A waiter noticed my response of my dish & casually wandered over to enquire "if everything was ok" to which I said in a definite manner no it was not! He asked what was wrong & I didn't hold back... I let him know what I thought, that I wasn't paying for my meal & how dare someone destroy beautiful food in such a disrespectful manner. He went to 'discuss it with the kitchen' and returned to say the kitchen was sorry! Yeah right! I thought it was gutless for the person responsible to not show his/her face to apologise in person!

About 30 minutes later I was offered a sad looking fruit salad plate. My reaction was.... well.... no way was I going to eat anything ever again from that kitchen! The waiter seemed genuinely concerned that I had not had dinner (the only time I felt it was true concern).

The last point of contention was the bill. I was presented with someone else's bill (another guest - so a blatant no-no in guest privacy), when I mentioned this the same waiter muttered something under his breath & went to rectify. The bill he presented was only for my cocktail. I wanted to pay for the meal minus my steak. He argued (another mistake) so I simply added what I thought the bill should be as a tip.

Upon leaving we mentioned our experience to concierge when requesting a late booking be made at one of the Grossi establishments - where we were treated well, with excellent late night food & service.

I definitely recommend you stay away from both Sotano & especially Nuevo 37 until such a time management decide to hire competent & fully qualified chefs.

I would like to add, when chatting to the lovely GM, Brett Christ, I mentioned what had happened & he was most concerned & waived our entire bill for that meal (despite my requesting he didn't). I only hope he does something about the poor quality of both food & service because it's damaging to the hotels image. A good chef in a hotel says a lot, especially when Melbourne is revered for its food.

On a whole though Hilton South Wharf is a lovely hotel & we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Higher floors give amazing views of both Melbourne city or the bayside. The executive lounge is won...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fusspot-Traveller

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your detailed comments and will discuss them with my senior management team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have stayed at Hilton South Wharf Melbourne twice. The location can not be better. The Hotel is adjacent to Melbourne Exhibition and Conference Centre, and a short walk to the free City Circle Tram. A 5 munite walk also takes you to the Crown Casino.

I stayed at the one bedroom suite which boasts a sweep 180 degree breathtaking view of the city, day and night. Rooms are large and subtly decorated and furnished. There is a decent size gym but it has no swimming pool. The executive lounge I believe is the largest in the city, offering outdoor and indoor city. Each evening, it offers a large range of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, hot and cold snack.

Staff are efficient and professional.

Room Tip: A city view room is a must in the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

I sincerely appreciate your good review.

Glad to hear that that enjoyed the hotel and its location, next to the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a wonderful new hotel (well it's about three years old now). This is the ONLY place we'll stay in Melbourne. Tends to be cheaper than the Crown, Langham and others. Cool restaurant, new and a very nice stroll into the Crown Casino area. Impressive place to stay with a partner. I travel a lot with work and this hotel provides EVERYTHING you'd expect. The wireless internet is expensive, so bring your own mobile SIM device. Try to get a view of the casino and you'll see the fire show that is on hourly every night. Enjoy! Now, I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure there is no swimming pool here, if this is important to you, then check).

Room Tip: Overlook the casino if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I was really happy to read that we are your preferred choice of hotel in Melbourne. Thank you so much for your loyalty and support.

We hope to see you soon on your next travels to Melbourne.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Wow, want to feel good and feel special, if so!! book the Hilton in Melbourne. The service is excellent, rooms with a view are fantastic, everything you would dream about.. you will find at this superb hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you so much for the fantastic review.

We hope to see you soon.