“Great night at Hilton South Wharf” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #19 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Great night at Hilton South Wharf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my second stay at the Hilton South Wharf Melbourne and so I was really looking forward to it as my first stay 18 months ago was excellent. I wasn't disappointed as the King Guestroom was on the city side of the hotel with beautiful views down the Yarra River towards SouthGate. The room was spotless with a well stocked mini bar, bath and large shower. It's a very plain room, but nice and clean and uncluttered. I remembered from my last trip that I had an awesome nights sleep thanks to the electronic black-out blinds in the room, but unfortunately this time our blinds were broken and stopped about 1 metre from the floor so I was awake at 6am sun-rise! I mentioned this at check-out and so hopefully it's been fixed for the next guests in room 622.

I had the bed and breakfast package and was thrilled with the buffet-breakfast. It had everything you could want and more, and I always like the inclusion of freshly made coffee to order.

The major difference to my stay this time was how much better South Wharf has become. There are so much more really cool bars and restaurants than 18 months ago and the area had a really good vibe and lots of people out and about. Once again I had a really nice stay at Hilton South Wharf.

Room Tip: Try for the city side rooms as high up as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We really appreciate your comments and your support to our hotel.

I have personally addressed your feedback about the blinds with our Chief Engineer. I can assure you that the blinds have been fixed now. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for one night during the recent Fine Food exhibition. Very pleasantly surprised by both the lobby and the room itself (we were upgraded to a room on the 10th floor with spectacular views of the river), which was modern, smart and well appointed. We arrived well before the official check in time of 3 pm, but this wasn't a problem - the staff at the desk were friendly, professional and happy to get us into a room straight away. I loved the brand of toiletries - all full of vitamins A, C and B, very good for the skin. The bed was also super comfy and breakfast was excellent. Disappointments? No swimming pool. And an issue shared by most Melbourne hotels - they seem to cater solely for the business traveler sporting massive expense accounts, so room service and the movie menu are expensive, and the in-room spa service is a bit of a joke. We also visited the restaurants (next to each other in one big room) for prospective cocktails and dinner, but ended up going back to our room after failing to engage the attention of a single wait or bar staff member and finding the atmosphere in both areas chilly and somewhat dismal. Maybe if we'd been two overweight executives in business suits we might have been more visible? Melbourne take note, sometimes people visit your city for pleasure as well as business!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I genuinely appreciate your review. Thank you for your comments about our BAR, I will personally address your concerns with our Food and Beverage Manager.

We hope to see you soon on your next travels to Melbourne.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

From check-in right through to when I left, the Hilton staff were helpful and very service-oriented - more so than most Australian hotels (and the Australian hospitality industry generally).

I arrived earlier than the 3pm check-in time, but it wasn't an issue. The guy on reception was very friendly yet efficient, and I even got upgraded (that never happens to me) to an Executive room with access to the Executive Lounge. So, things started very well.

The room was very comfortable. The carpet was really plush, the furnishings were elegant, and the bed was very comfortable. Well-stocked mini-bar, with prices as expected. I had a couple of Boag's and they didn't break the bank. 24-hour room service gets a big tick, however I would've liked to have seen a slightly bigger range. But it was still pretty good, and enjoyed while watching in-house movies.

The bathroom was great. Separate bath and shower, marble, and the best toiletries I've found to date in a hotel. They were so great I called up to ask if I could purchase them (the brand is Peter Thomas Roth and you can buy some of the items at Kit Cosmetics).

The window was the entire side of the room: floor to ceiling, wall to wall. It afforded great views down the Yarra, across to the city and the Crown complex. At night, it was great. The black-out curtain was very convenient in the morning - the sun comes straight in!

Executive Lounge access is very handy, and there's a great deck - when the weather is nice (and on one day, it was beautiful), it was really nice to sit out there with a drink. Free wifi, afternoon tea, pre-dinner canapes and drinks, and breakfast can all be enjoyed in here.

The buffet breakfast in the restaurant was a bit hit and miss - I've enjoyed the Hyatt and Stamford buffets slightly more. However, the service was A plus, and for me that's the most important thing.

When I booked, I wondered whether the location would be a problem. It turned out to be a positive, as it allowed me to explore an area I wasn't all that familiar with. Being next door to DFO was handy, and it was great to stroll by the river down to Crown.

I really enjoyed my stay, and highly recommend it for any type of stay. I'm looking forward to coming back with my husband!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for such a good review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your room and the view together with all the services on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend and got a very good rate of only $200 a night on the Hilton website. Received an upgrade to a city view room which I'd say is well worth it as the view is absolutely spectacular and the view from the so-called river view side of the building would much more appropriately titled "Freeway Intersection view". The lobby is very modern and dark kind of wooden style (a bit too dark for my liking, actually) as is the entire hotel. There was an amazingly ordinary car displayed as advertising (Toyota for all brands!) right in the middle of the lobby which I found totally inappropriate as it would have suited a, let's say, Ibis hotel much better. Service was very quick and professional, albeit a but cold at times. The room was spacious and the bed the usual "Wanna sleep in all day" Hilton standard. I only had a few minor gripes- walk in shower doesn't have a door to close and the sink is right next to the bed, "modern" layout I guess. The only power outlet close to the bed was hidden under the bedside table and hard reach (I never get why hotels do this- people want to use their IPads and IPhones in bed these days and it's very inconvenient if you can't charge them at the same time) and you needed to put your room key in one of those silly old electricity savers which ensure you either get back to a stuffy room when ever you leave OR you put some other card in there which opens the door to all sorts of missed cards dramas upon check out. On the positive side- the electric blinds were among the best I've ever had in a hotel leaving the room pitch-black even during bright sunshine outside and they provided a Bodum plunger instead of the awful instant coffee in the morning. Also had room service which was very quick, tasted excellent and was appropriately (over-) priced for a hotel of this class. Found a used band aide just next to the bed (yuck!) which explains the low rating on cleanness. Location of the hotel is a bit average as it's right next to a freeway intersection and a truly horrible outlet mall (the bogan-filled, cheap and nasty Aussie variety which is very different from what you find in the US). City is a fair but of walk away while most restaurant options are overpriced low-quality chain outlets which are part of the Casino complex. And, you guessed it, the latter is also a bogan's favorite destination rather than Vegas-like glamour.

Room Tip: Ccity view rooms are well worth it as the view is absolutely spectacular and the view from the so-ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

I really appreciate your feedback and have shared it with my entire Senior Management Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I'm a Hilton HHonors member and always get a friendly greeting.

Rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Bathrooms are huge with lots of surfaces for putting your stuff - unlike standard rooms in the Hilton Sydney where you have no space to put anything.

Executive Lounge is fantastic. Staff are very helpful e.g. we were there on the 'ash cloud' long weekend last year and getting an extra night was no problem; they offered also to help with flight arrangements. One of the larger and nicer lounges I have been to.

Only downside - hotel restaurant / winebar is pretty average.

One personal peeve: Why did they put the controls for the window blinds on the opposite side of the room from the bed? Surely next to the bed would be the obvious place.

Room Tip: Get a river view and lounge access if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced.

At Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and we will be in touch with you directly.

Thank you again for your time.
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton for 3 nights whilst attending a conference and it ticks all the five star boxes including the price.

$39,95 for a room service club sandwich is getting up there but it was HUGE - too much for one person. The rooms especially the beds are very comfortable and the sleep quality is superb with the black out automatic blinds.

Didn't try the breakie due to miscommunication between the organisors & the hotel. When your registration states hotel breakfast included versus convention centre breakfast - you don't expect to get asked to $20 by the hotel maitre'd.

The hotel cafe has a great bacon & egg bagel with a cup of barrista coffee for about $12.

Warning_ the hotel is accessed via a small service road that crosses a major freeway entrance - at peak hour it can tahe a long time to get out of the hotel/shops prescint.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having arrived at 10am after a very long trip from the US, we were hoping to check in early. Not only was this not a problem, we didn't even have to ask, they just checked us straight in.
The room was clean, comfortable, quiet and plenty of space for dumping your bags, shopping etc..And as for those black out blinds - Boy do they work!!!
The staff were incredibly helpful and the concierge was everything you expect (but don't usually get), Booked our restaurants and a hire car as we asked.
This hotel may be a little out of the way (for those of you who are too lazy to walk anywhere), but there are LOADS of GREAT restaurants about and mainstream shopping is right next door. We will definitely stay here again, but if you're thinking this review is too good to be true, I do have one negative! The continental breakfast is too pricey, you'd be better off going to the hotel cafe or one of the many available places within a very short distance outside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I really appreciate your review.

Thank you ever so much for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you well.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels