“Fantastic hotel, great staff, will definitely come back”

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Fantastic hotel, great staff, will definitely come back”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

From check-in right through to when I left, the Hilton staff were helpful and very service-oriented - more so than most Australian hotels (and the Australian hospitality industry generally).

I arrived earlier than the 3pm check-in time, but it wasn't an issue. The guy on reception was very friendly yet efficient, and I even got upgraded (that never happens to me) to an Executive room with access to the Executive Lounge. So, things started very well.

The room was very comfortable. The carpet was really plush, the furnishings were elegant, and the bed was very comfortable. Well-stocked mini-bar, with prices as expected. I had a couple of Boag's and they didn't break the bank. 24-hour room service gets a big tick, however I would've liked to have seen a slightly bigger range. But it was still pretty good, and enjoyed while watching in-house movies.

The bathroom was great. Separate bath and shower, marble, and the best toiletries I've found to date in a hotel. They were so great I called up to ask if I could purchase them (the brand is Peter Thomas Roth and you can buy some of the items at Kit Cosmetics).

The window was the entire side of the room: floor to ceiling, wall to wall. It afforded great views down the Yarra, across to the city and the Crown complex. At night, it was great. The black-out curtain was very convenient in the morning - the sun comes straight in!

Executive Lounge access is very handy, and there's a great deck - when the weather is nice (and on one day, it was beautiful), it was really nice to sit out there with a drink. Free wifi, afternoon tea, pre-dinner canapes and drinks, and breakfast can all be enjoyed in here.

The buffet breakfast in the restaurant was a bit hit and miss - I've enjoyed the Hyatt and Stamford buffets slightly more. However, the service was A plus, and for me that's the most important thing.

When I booked, I wondered whether the location would be a problem. It turned out to be a positive, as it allowed me to explore an area I wasn't all that familiar with. Being next door to DFO was handy, and it was great to stroll by the river down to Crown.

I really enjoyed my stay, and highly recommend it for any type of stay. I'm looking forward to coming back with my husband!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for such a good review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your room and the view together with all the services on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend and got a very good rate of only $200 a night on the Hilton website. Received an upgrade to a city view room which I'd say is well worth it as the view is absolutely spectacular and the view from the so-called river view side of the building would much more appropriately titled "Freeway Intersection view". The lobby is very modern and dark kind of wooden style (a bit too dark for my liking, actually) as is the entire hotel. There was an amazingly ordinary car displayed as advertising (Toyota for all brands!) right in the middle of the lobby which I found totally inappropriate as it would have suited a, let's say, Ibis hotel much better. Service was very quick and professional, albeit a but cold at times. The room was spacious and the bed the usual "Wanna sleep in all day" Hilton standard. I only had a few minor gripes- walk in shower doesn't have a door to close and the sink is right next to the bed, "modern" layout I guess. The only power outlet close to the bed was hidden under the bedside table and hard reach (I never get why hotels do this- people want to use their IPads and IPhones in bed these days and it's very inconvenient if you can't charge them at the same time) and you needed to put your room key in one of those silly old electricity savers which ensure you either get back to a stuffy room when ever you leave OR you put some other card in there which opens the door to all sorts of missed cards dramas upon check out. On the positive side- the electric blinds were among the best I've ever had in a hotel leaving the room pitch-black even during bright sunshine outside and they provided a Bodum plunger instead of the awful instant coffee in the morning. Also had room service which was very quick, tasted excellent and was appropriately (over-) priced for a hotel of this class. Found a used band aide just next to the bed (yuck!) which explains the low rating on cleanness. Location of the hotel is a bit average as it's right next to a freeway intersection and a truly horrible outlet mall (the bogan-filled, cheap and nasty Aussie variety which is very different from what you find in the US). City is a fair but of walk away while most restaurant options are overpriced low-quality chain outlets which are part of the Casino complex. And, you guessed it, the latter is also a bogan's favorite destination rather than Vegas-like glamour.

Room Tip: Ccity view rooms are well worth it as the view is absolutely spectacular and the view from the so-ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

I really appreciate your feedback and have shared it with my entire Senior Management Team. We are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I'm a Hilton HHonors member and always get a friendly greeting.

Rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Bathrooms are huge with lots of surfaces for putting your stuff - unlike standard rooms in the Hilton Sydney where you have no space to put anything.

Executive Lounge is fantastic. Staff are very helpful e.g. we were there on the 'ash cloud' long weekend last year and getting an extra night was no problem; they offered also to help with flight arrangements. One of the larger and nicer lounges I have been to.

Only downside - hotel restaurant / winebar is pretty average.

One personal peeve: Why did they put the controls for the window blinds on the opposite side of the room from the bed? Surely next to the bed would be the obvious place.

Room Tip: Get a river view and lounge access if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced.

At Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and we will be in touch with you directly.

Thank you again for your time.
Gold Coast
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton for 3 nights whilst attending a conference and it ticks all the five star boxes including the price.

$39,95 for a room service club sandwich is getting up there but it was HUGE - too much for one person. The rooms especially the beds are very comfortable and the sleep quality is superb with the black out automatic blinds.

Didn't try the breakie due to miscommunication between the organisors & the hotel. When your registration states hotel breakfast included versus convention centre breakfast - you don't expect to get asked to $20 by the hotel maitre'd.

The hotel cafe has a great bacon & egg bagel with a cup of barrista coffee for about $12.

Warning_ the hotel is accessed via a small service road that crosses a major freeway entrance - at peak hour it can tahe a long time to get out of the hotel/shops prescint.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
Seattle
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having arrived at 10am after a very long trip from the US, we were hoping to check in early. Not only was this not a problem, we didn't even have to ask, they just checked us straight in.
The room was clean, comfortable, quiet and plenty of space for dumping your bags, shopping etc..And as for those black out blinds - Boy do they work!!!
The staff were incredibly helpful and the concierge was everything you expect (but don't usually get), Booked our restaurants and a hire car as we asked.
This hotel may be a little out of the way (for those of you who are too lazy to walk anywhere), but there are LOADS of GREAT restaurants about and mainstream shopping is right next door. We will definitely stay here again, but if you're thinking this review is too good to be true, I do have one negative! The continental breakfast is too pricey, you'd be better off going to the hotel cafe or one of the many available places within a very short distance outside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I really appreciate your review.

Thank you ever so much for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you well.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was my first trip to Melbourne as part of a trip with a close friend, on check-in we were upgraded into a suite which was an amazing room - great size, well fitted out, the view was absolutely stunning and the shower was fantastic. The bed was also very, very comfortable.

The entire property has a modern design, the rooms are reasonably well equipped and most of the staff were great. The front desk team were fantastic, as were the concierge team (except for running out of umbrellas one day, but they can't be blamed for Melbourne's crummy weather). They were responsive to all enquiries, efficient at dealing with requests and gave good recommendations.

The location is just on the edge of town, so depending where you need to be this might be worth double checking but we found it handy and close to what we needed, it's just a short stroll into town or to the tram stop, and very close to Crown.

There were just a few let-downs however, on our first night we headed to the Executive Lounge for celebratory drinks - taking a bottle of wine from the bar to our table to save getting up while we talked and wound down from a long day. The young man who was clearing the tables came past and snatched it off us, snapping "leave it at the bar". Not the kind of service you expect from a hotel like this, nor is it a big deal, but enough to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Another minor gripe, on both nights I had barely even gotten off the lounge to answer the door to find Housekeeping had already opened it. She then just looked sheepish, handed me a chocolate and left without even attempting or asking if we would like the turn-down service. Another staff member came by to check the status of the minibar during the day and similarly knocked once and entered almost immediately. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I had been in the shower or in the process of getting dressed.

Other than that, the only other noteworthy thing would be breakfast in the Executive Lounge - the staff then were great, friendly and efficient and there's a good selection of hot and cold items available. Not a huge buffet, but more than adequate and was kept well stocked.

All in all, it was a good stay and I'd probably not hesitate in returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review.

I appreciate your feedback and have discussed this with my senior management team. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with regards Team Members knocking on your door once and entering. I can assure you that I have personally addressed this with my Team.

Once again, thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Modern, clean, well position and excellent views of the CBD and docklands if you are staying on the higher level floors.

Service was very good - I stayed one night on business during the week and was offerred a room upgrade at reception.

Location - Easy walk to southbank or into the CBD.

Hotel Room - Excellent bed and bathroom. Remote control blinds a bonus if you are looking for a sleep in.

Only negative would be the lack of leisure facilities. But overall an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels!