“3.5 Organic Food - Pleasing to the palate”
Review of Embrasse - CLOSED

Embrasse
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“3.5 Organic Food - Pleasing to the palate”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We went for the Sundat set menu at $62 per person plus wine. Our obvious assessment is the a la carte offers much more varierty and presents an increased opportunity to sample the cheh's delights.

The Sunday roast consisted of 4 courses: a beetroot, cos, fresh peas and egg salad with bayleaf powder and small saltbush leaf. Fresh, clean flavours. A small fillet of Rockling with tiny, salty seaweed served on top with beans, baby leek, shitake mushrooms in tempura batter on pureed smoked lentils; a roast leg of chicken (slow cooked for 8 hours in sous vide, then browned in pan and finished in the oven) baked onion, pumpkin and beans served with jus and french mustard; meringue with peach nectar clear jelly, caramel and honey specs.

Look all theses courses were beautifully served and tasted great - the freshness of the food which was locally sourced was signifiacnt to the experience. Yet, the two substantial dishes were not creative flavour wise. The length to which the chef went to cook the chicken was praiseworthy but at the end of the day what was served was a Sunday roast - not really a dining experience to rave about.

Price wise it was very reassonable. Certainly worth a return visit to experience the a la carte menu.

The wine list is small and just passable. Our white wine was served room temperture which was disappointing. It got marginally colder as it was served fro the ice bucket. We had the Stefano Lubiana Sauvignon Blanc fro Tasmania ($68).

• Visited April 2012

Melbourne
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We went to Embrasse for lunch as part of the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival so we each received a set 2 course meal (we selected an entree and main and a main and dessert).

The entree was a salmon croquette with pea and beetroot? It was so yum my partner barely allowed me a taste of the croquette! For the mains, my partner had a brilliant fish dish while I had a chicken dish. Unfortunately as tasty as the chicken was, I left half of it as it had blood in it. I joked to my partner that this place is probably so fancy that the chicken is probably bloody on purpose and there is fancy name for the technique or whatever of serving bloody chicken. Funnily enough, when the waiter came to clear our plates he seemed a little surprised that I hadn't eaten half my chicken (considering there wasn't much to begin with on the plate) so I quickly said it was very nice but I didn't want to eat the rest because it was a bit bloody and lo and behold he said oh it's actually cooked through and gave some fancy word for it! The dessert was a ridiculously yummy layered cake/jelly/white mousse thing. The food is presented beautifully and although as is typical of these kind of restaurants, there isn't very much on the plate, you will still be full by the end of it.

We were a little intimidated when we first walked in as the place is very elegant but the people were friendly and attentive, the food was great (yes, even taking into consideration the bloody chicken) and I had been wanting to go there for years anyway to try their Forest Floor dessert. So we will most definitely be returning!

• Visited March 2012
Australia
“Beautiful, fresh and seasonal”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We have been to Embrasse a few times now for both dinner and lunch and each time it just gets better. I highly recommend the Sunday lunch which is a four course set meal, the dessert served on this day would have to be ranked as one of the best I have had. The restaurant has its own beehive on the roof which was used in the dessert and it was out of this world.

• Visited February 2012
singapore
“Embrasse just gets better and better”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Embrasse is a modern french restaurant. Nic the chef owner creates beautiful multi course degustation dinners and lunches. The quality of his produce is next to none and he creates the prettiest dishes that I have ever seen.

Last night we went for the Valentines's Day dinner.
The dishes were well balanced, they were full of suprise and delight and the chocolate and flower desert was light on one hand but sophisticated on the other.

This is a restaurant for people who love food and wine. It isn't the cheapest, but it isn't the most expensive in Melbourne and you certainly get value for money!

The service is good, the chairs are comfortable, there is car parking opposite in a car park and a special Sunday lunch for people who want a lunchtime treat.

• Visited February 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing - Both in terms of Quality and Value”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My friend and I were passing through Australia on an eating trip. We went to Momo, Ezard, Embrasse, Movida and Press Club in Melbourne as well as Quay, Tetsuya and Marque in Sydney.
I would rate Embrasse as the #2 on the trip behind Tetsuya's. The menu was creative, the food delicciously fresh and good value. IIRC only $98 for the degustation.
We were there on a Sunday night. The restaurant was busy but not crowded. Service was attentive and I loved the teapots so much I bought one when i got home!

• Visited July 2011