“jody, & the tassie girl,s,,we all loved it,cant wait 4 the next trip..”
Review of Causeway 353 Hotel

Causeway 353 Hotel
Ranked #84 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Launceston, Australia
“jody, & the tassie girl,s,,we all loved it,cant wait 4 the next trip..”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

found this hotel great,,clean friendly super comfy bed,s great breaky hotel was lovely & warm,,super close to everything u need,we stayed 4 nts would totaly do it again ,,top little spot

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Excellent hotel...Great staff ..Even when we arrived to find our internet booking with booking.com had not gone through, nothing was a hassle and for the mild panic that caused we were instantly upgraded with no questions and no hassles. The rooms were neat and very tidy and the beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. I would come back to this location again and again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
WA
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Had a 4 day stay in Melbourne with son to see the sights, watch AFL and relax.
Hotel is located so central that food, entertainment are all in walking distance.
The hotel is in a little side lane off Little Collins St but is well sign posted so easy to find . Room was well presented and all the basics are there. Free breakfast as part of package but limited and dont be too late as first day not much to choose from. Found great little cafe up Little Collins St on other side of Elizabeth, Cafe Segovia(Block Place). Live music and great food made this a night to be remembered.
Used hotel as just a base as Melbourne has so much to do and see
Staff helpful for a late check out as 8 pm flight home

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank brendoon
Winmalee, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We booked this hotel due to other tripadvisor reviews. The location is good, the rooms are fair, and the price is fairly reasonable for city accommodation.

It is really important to note that the entrance is in Equitable Pl, especially if you are seeking it at night.

We had a few incidents that made our stay less than ideal, but these could be rectified fairly simply if the management decided to take action and introduce some quality improvement processes.

CHECKING IN
We arrived late on the Friday night and were very tired since our flight had been cancelled and we had been in transit for a very long time. We waited a long time to be served, despite other staff being available, we were ignored whilst one staff member dealt with a lengthy guest complaint. I think this situation could be improved by training staff to monitor guest arrival more closely, especially when they are expected.

We were advised on check in that our credit card would have a hold put on it, but we were not informed that the hold would take 5-7 days to be released AFTER checking out. We only found this out when we went to use our card after our visit and telephoned to enquire why the hold was still on in. This coule be improved by making other arrangements with their bank or financial institution, or by informing guests of the system.

OUR SUITE
We were slightly disappointed by the deluxe spa suite, as this was our anniversary weekend away, however we had noted other reviewers comments about the bath with the jets not being the type of spa we would normally expect, so we took that as a given. However, the bath was dirty, with a dead silverfish and some pubic hairs. So that was disappointing. The next day, it was clean. The two of us could just fit in the bath, but my husband had to take care not to sit too close to the wall end. I would have appreciate some bath salts or bath stuff to put in the water. The jets did not work at first, but we persisted and finally got the spa to do its spa bubbling thing.

The bed was really comfortable, which is a very important point for us.

Our room (870) was very dark with the blockout curtains drawn, so if you need to rise early I would suggest opening them up to get a bit of light. Even with the curtains opened in the morning it is still rather glum.

There was a very loud humming noise each morning, which we found disturbing. It may have been an electrical noise outside the building but it was quite intrusive. We identified that it was NOT the refrigerator in the room, as we first suspected.

I found the hair dryer after a lot of hunting around. It was located in the top drawer of the closet.

The television provides only the free to air stations.

BREAKFAST
the breakfast was very basic. There are 3 choices of cereal; sultana bran, nutrigrain and plain bran flakes. There is yoghurt, fruit, pastries and toast. If you want a hot breakfast it costs extra.

POINT TO NOTE, the basement is only accessible by 2 of the lifts. We were not told this when we checked in, so found out the hard way. This could be improved by training staff to inform guests when they check in.

FALSE EVACUATION ALARMS
At 8am on the Saturday morning we were disturbed from our bed with an alarm informing us to evacuate the building. We entered the hallway and saw all the other guests' heads poked out the door and we all wondered together what the problem was.

FIRE STAIRS BLOCKED
Without hesitation I headed straight for the closest fire doors and we both proceeded to move down the stairs to the ground. However, we were stopped at either the 3rd or 2nd floor, as the stairwell was barricaded by a steel grate carefully attached to the walls, so we could not get out. Our only option was to re-enter the building from that floor (we were very relieved that the fire door was not locked from the inside of the stairwell) and walk down the long hallway seeking other stairs. We found the other stairs and were able to successfully get out to the street.

We were informed by another guest that it was a false alarm, so we entered the building and used the lift. Another guest in the lift informed us that a fellow guest told them that this was a regular occurrence. We wondered why.

ANOTHER FALSE ALARM
On the Sunday evening, after a long day sight seeing, I showered and got into bed and took a nap. I was awakened by the evacuation alarm again. I waited this time, for it to stop, but it continued for a long time, so I thought it best to get dressed and evacuate. This time I used the stairs at the other end of the building. Many other guests were travelling down these stairs INCLUDING two elderly frail ladies; one with a walking stick. I felt very sorry for them believing that this too would be a false alarm.

Many guests were assembled in the lane way and many were very unhappy. It was again a false alarm.

The reception staff were bombarded with guest complaints and we did overhear the explanation from staff that the alarm is often triggered by guests showering with the bathroom door open; the steam triggering the alarm.

My improvement suggestion for this is to 1. place a sign on each bathroom door to advise guests that the door should be shut or alarm may be triggered or 2. to install exhaust fans in the bathrooms, or 3. to fix the alarm system so it is triggered by smoke instead of steam or smoke (not sure if this is possible).

However, the BIGGEST issue for me is the blocking of the fire stairs. I did ask the reception staff upon checking out why the stairs were blocked and the reply I got was "I didn't know they were".

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Another very minor issue for us was that we ordered takeaway on the Sunday night after our evacuation adventures. The food was delivered, but unfortunately we did not get any cutlery. We phoned the reception desk to ask if there was anywhere we could obtain cutlery for our take away dinner and it took a long time for any one to answer, Finally someone answered and abruptly informed me I must telephone extension 317. I did this, and nobody answered, despite me waiting for 5 minutes. Meanwhile my husband went to the basement where the breakfast room was and obtained some. By the time he returned and I was still waiting for extn 317 to answer, I hung up, very disappointed that the reception person could not have suggested we collect some from the basement.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jennyleetee
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 17, 2010

This hotel is located in the center of everything...shopping, restaurants and pick up points for sight seeing. And the price can't be beat for where it is. Breakfast was included-which was a simple fare of toast, pastries, cheeses, cold cuts and packets of vegemite which I tried for the first time and cannot say I enjoyed it, sorry!

ROOM: clean, modern looking, a little dark and a little small but I was amazed as to what they can fit into the small room as they had everything you would need along with complimentary bottled water. Bathroom was clean and modern albeit a little on the small side but not a problem for me especially since I had the room to myself.

SERVICE: did not have a problem with the front desk at check in although they could not find my friend in their reservation system. Luckily she had her confirmation email printed out and they were able to give her a room (and they were almost sold out). Our reservations also came with a free half day sight seeing tour which we had to inquire about to make arrangements-it was not freely offered while checking in. The tour was nice even though it rained that morning.

LAUNDRY: available with limited hours. Powdered detergent can be bought at the front desk. However, I think, after hours, you are locked out. I believe the sign said it was available until 10:00 pm or so. I went back to get my clothes out of the dryer around 10:15 and I could not get in, my keycard would not work (but worked earlier and still worked for my room). So I got the front desk staff to open the door for me.

I am glad we found this hidden gem in the middle of the city close to restaurants and shopping and very reasonably priced for the location.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank memberWestLosAngeles
Brisbane
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed at this hotel on 10-11 July 2010 as part of a Virgin Blue package. Check-in staff were efficient and friendly. Room was small, but very clean and comfortable. Room faced onto laneway, which lacks in natural light, so lights were on all the time. It was quite dark in the morning, even though it was sunny outside. Location was excellent - central to everything. Flinders St station a 5 min walk; Bourke St Mall 5 mins; Swanston Street 5 mins. And all the little arcades and laneways are close by too. We had a meal at C&B in Block Arcade (off Little Collins St) which was great. Continental breakfast in Sotto Restaurant in hotel basement (included in package) was fresh and tasty. You can order hot food too (for a reasonable price). Coffee machine was a bit dodgy though - staff are aware it's a problem and it is signed accordingly. Be aware though there are two Causeway Hotels in Little Collins St - Causeway 353's entrance is on Equitable Place (not Little Collins St), so it's a little harder to find - bright green sign on building at start of laneway - you can't miss it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nvios
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights. The hotel was well located, clean and provided everything we needed for our stay.

The bed was HUGE and comfortable. The room was smallish, but no smaller than many other hotel rooms I've stayed in. Despite the presence of large numbers of rowdy football fans staying at the hotel, we had no trouble with noise; it was very quiet.

Service from the staff was excellent and efficient, they were very helpful in recommending places to eat nearby. The bartender makes great cocktails, and was pleasant to chat to.

We didn't realise that the newspaper was complimentary, so we left it by our door (until the afternoon, when it hadn't been removed, and we figured it must be free).

Breakfast didn't include as wide a variety of choices as I expected, but it was sufficient.

The only gripe we had, was that the air-conditioning wasn't working in our room (we reported it to staff).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple