1,168 results
All reviewscontinental breakfastequitable placecollins streetgreat locationlane waycentral locationyogurtspa suitesteam roomelizabeth stgood sizewould stay here againtea coffeefree wififederation squareking roombed was comfortable
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Similar to other Causeway hotels, this hotel is tucked away in a little lane at Equitable Place on Little Collins St. Overall, the ambience was nice and cosy. Rooms have a modern design with relatively new furnishings. Not much of a view from the windows though as it was facing another concrete building. Toilet was clean and rather spacious unlike its sister hotel Causeway Inn on the Mall. Breakfast was standard and simple. Best part: central location which makes touring the city a breeze!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank dreamygal
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed at the Causeway 353 hotel for 2 nights in November and could not wait to leave. When we attempted to check-in there was no record of our reservation even though we had booked 2 months prior on the hotel's website. There were two attendants at the desk (male and female). The male attendant acted as if we were lying about our reservations until we provided proof (a printout showing that we had indeed booked). The female seemed nice but was nervous and never looked us or her coworker directly in the eye. Once we were assigned a room, it was a smoking room. Since I have difficulty breathing we requested another room. The male attendant stated there were no more regular twin rooms but stated he would "upgrade" us to a triple room. I asked if we could get a double room with a bathtub instead since we were only a party of 2. We didn't need a third bed. However he reiterated strongly that we were getting the triple room. We should have turned around and left right then.

Once we entered our triple room it was spacious and decorated nicely. However, the shower in the bathroom kept flooding since there was nothing to contain the water. We had to keep placing towels on the floor to stop it from entering the bedroom. Early the next morning we left at 7:30 am for a tour but came back at 1 pm to discover that housecleaning still had not cleaned our room. We inquired at the front desk if our room would get cleaned and the current attendant stared at us like we had lost our minds and stated all of the rooms get cleaned. We advised her of our prior trouble with obtaining the room and only then did she understand why we had asked her that. To her credit, she did make sure our room got cleaned by the time we returned later that day (past 5 pm). On both days of our stay no free newspaper was provided for our room in the mornings even though other rooms on the floor had papers in front of their doors. This was easily rectified though as there were newspapers stashed in the lobby.

The only good things about our stay were that the hotel provides a free Melbourne City Tour (if you remind them about it) and the hotel is located in an alley that has lots of great places to eat. The city tour was operated by a real tour company (AAT kings) and was a half day drive around Melbourne which was pretty nice. Also the hotel itself looks very good inside and the restaurant is very with a free continental breakfast.

However the negative and/or nonchalant attitudes of the staff and management made this hotel a horrible place for us to stay and we were glad to check out. It's really a shame because the hotel itself was well kept-up.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paulavetta
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Although I live in Melbourne, I wanted a city hotel for a little comfort and convenience on new years eve. Any complaints I have are minor and overall I could not have been happier with the Causeway 353. The location is amazing...especially for those who are planning to shop. When I arrived I was greeted by friendly and efficient staff, who happily met my request for a late checkout, which I was not really expecting on New Years when everybody else probably wanted the same thing. The room was basic but exceptionally clean and functional. It was quite open and bright, but the curtains were very efficient at keeping the room dark well into the morning for my sleep-in. I had a spa suite, which was very comfortable, although I was expecting the spa to be bigger based on other reviews. It didn't really matter as I was alone on this trip, but it would be very cosy for a couple unless they were both tiny. It was very deep and comfortable nonetheless. I found the mattress very comfortable, even though I generally prefer a softer mattress. The only issues I had, were getting the room key to work in the elevator to my floor, there seems to be a trick to it which I didn't get...but repeated pushing of the button and entering of the card eventually got me there each time.
The only other issue was the fire alarm/evacuation at about 6.30 pm, but this was probably caused by another guest rather than being the hotels fault. Overall I was very happy with the hotel and would not hesitate to stay again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2009

First time we have stayed at Causeway 353, we had previously stayed at The Causeway Inn and was so impressed we wanted to try all the Causeways, we were down in Melbourne again in August for a close friends funeral but we couldn't book into 353 they were fully booked so we went back to The Causeway Inn.
Staff very friendly, clean room, great buffet breakfast, great locations, absolutely love Melbourne.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Fay029
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Just back from Melbourne which we visitied for the Boxing Day Test and we spent 3 nights here. A great little city centre hotel with elegant (if a little dark) rooms, nice bathrooms (deep bath!!), big comy beds and a good continental breakfast (great pastries)!

Like most reviews, this place has friendly staff who let us check in early at 10am and a it's in a great location. It's on the laneway between Collins and Little Collins on Equitable Lane so if your arriving in the dead of night you might want to get a taxi as it might be a little difficult to find. Luckily, we jumped the Skybus courtesy bus and they dropped us at the door. (Skybus good value of $52 return for a couple from the airport and very handy/quick with the little courtesy bus which is a real gem of a service).

The staff were helpful and quickly fixed a little problem we had with the hairdryer much to my wife's relief. The only other issue we had (which we didn't bother to complain about) was the plumbing. Obviously a lot of these buildings are very old and whilst the rooms are all fitted out for modern comforts i think the renovations forgot to look at the victorian plumbing. We were in room 267 and whenever someone upstairs went to the toilet or had a shower/bath you could literally hear every single drop of water rushing through the pipes. Luckily, i was either sleeping or had the tv remote handy and just turned up the volume. I could be annoying if you were staying for longer but it wasn't the end of the world.

Overall, i would stay again for a short break as it's right in the heart of everything and at 160AUD per night we thought it was good value for this class of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple