“All about location if you can find it”
Review of Causeway 353 Hotel

Causeway 353 Hotel
Ranked #88 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here because of its proximity to our Melbourne office, booked by work. It is hidden in an alley way off Collins St opposite the Elizabeth St tram stop so is very central. The room was clean and had room to move. It seemed to provide the bare minimum to qualify for the star rating, there are no frills. Buffet only breakfast was adequate at best. There are better options across the alley. The reviewers without a view did not miss much. On the plus side the room was perfectly quiet. Wifi was not offered though I didn't ask. My advice to the company is ok for employees flying in, not suitable for clients. Taxi drivers may have trouble finding it and would need to reverse out. There is an arrangement for parking nearby for $20 per exit. I would use it again if work was paying, I wouldn't choose it as a base.

Room Tip: Corner room may have been a bit bigger.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I recently spent five nights at Causeway 353. Upon arrival, staff were courteous, helpful and knowledgable.

The first thing I loved about this hotel was its location. It's in the centre of Melbourne city but tucked away from night time street noise. Although there were others staying on our floor, the only noise I heard was the occasional door closing.

The (twin) beds were comforatable but the pillows too flat, even when using two. The shower and bath were great. The continental breakfast was standard and did the job. The woman at the breakfast check-in was friendly. Staff confirmed our bus transfer to the airport for us and stored our bags while we spent our last day wandering the city until bus transfer time. We were able to use the business centre (three computers and a printer in a room on Level 2) to print our boarding passes - internet was $2 for 15 minutes and printing was free. There is no free wi-fi in this hotel but you can find it in places like Hudson's (just around the corner on Elizabeth Street).

I only have two (small) issues with this hotel:
1. As no windows could be opened, we had no way of getting fresh air in the room. At one stage someone in another room was smoking weed and the smell wafted in through the vents to our room.
2. The (Hisense) television provided a really poor picture. We didn't go to Melbourne to watch TV, so this wasn't a major issue for us. Had it been, we simply would have asked for another room.

Causeway 353 is a great place to base yourself when travelling around Melbourne's CBD. It is only a block or two away from a Coles supermarket, a Hudson's coffee shop, numerous eateries, the free city tram, Flinders Street station, Burke Street Mall, Federation Square, and the Yarra River. Our five days of sight-seeing were all done by either walking or hopping on the free tram.

I would stay at Causeway 353 again.

Room Tip: The Crown Casino has excellent meal deals in six of its restaurants - definitely worth the walk acro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank V W
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were booked into this hotel as part of a "special" What a glum experience. We were upgraded to a so-called suite. This room had no windows, was furnished entirely in brown, to say it lacked character was an understatement. The basement breakfast area was another "treat" So poorly lit, you couldn't even read the newspaper. Staff were minimal and disinterested. The whole place had an air of abandonment. Extremely unwelcoming. Sure, it was conveniently located and the bed was comfortable. Having said that, there's nothing more to be said in 353's favor. Never again Ambience rating - nil.

1  Thank crocks
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I found the staff extremely rude and unprofessional - and this was just at the front desk.

The shower had mould everywhere and the" breakfast included" was a joke - toast, salami and plastic cheese or yoghurt... (which they valued at $35). Be warned they throw you out exactly at 10am and threaten extra charges if you're running late. Really for the money I did expect a little more. The very "best part" of the experience was - having rushed to make their checkout deadline and then having to stand in line with everyone else checking out for 40mins - I realised I had left something in the room. They refused to let me go back to look for it... got disgruntled when I insisted they look, then couldn't find it. Honestly, utter crap experience from the get-go.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Melloew1
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have just spent three nights at this hotel from 4th to 7th October and was not impressed at all. The staff in the restuarant were completely ignorant and were never happy. The restuarant for lunch and dinner was never open, and the sidewalk cafes that is suppose to be an attraction are not open on the weekends at all. (not that this is the hotels fault, but don't advertise them in the first place) The mattress was fine but the pillows were just too soft and low and ended up with neck pain. The sugar was never replaced to make coffee. We were told we would have complimentary slippers and bathrobe. The bathrobe was non existent. If this is a four star hotel, I would hate to see what they call a five star. Very disappointed

1  Thank Sharyn M
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My and my partner have stayed here three times now, we really like it, find it very affordable in comparison to other hotels in the city, makes it affordable to come in and spend a night if you have something on in the city and just need a comfy bed to sleep in. I think its around $200 for a king room with a spa and breakfast included. Its a small & simple hotel, the rooms are small but neat and tidy. Comfortable bed and really nice bathroom with a massive bath/spa with shower over it. Location is awesome, can walk here from Flinders St Station and easy walk or cab around the city. Continental breakfast buffet the next morning is great! Staff were welcoming and polite.
If you are looking for something nice but affordable I would really recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed for two nights at this hotel, Oct 4-5. The room was in average condition, the linen did not look clean. First night we drank two beers from the mini bar. When they "cleaned" the room the next day the two empty beer bottles were left out and the mini-bar wasn't restocked. The beds were hastily made and the linen unchanged. The towels were replaced but the toilet seat was left up. The air conditioning worked but it was really noisy. My room rate included a newspaper each morning but I didn't receive one although I could see papers left outside of other rooms in the morning. When I questioned a staff member as I checked out, he pointed to a paper in the lobby and said "want that one?" I told him it was too late, I was travelling home and that it would have been nice to have a paper when I woke up. The continental breakfast was very good but overall I found the hotel shabby and overpriced. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't know what would help in this hotel!
1  Thank JMW0420